none
Scoping ‚assigned to‘ to members of project team

Question

• Hi, does anyone know, if there is a way to filter the <AllowedValues> of the ‘Assigned to’ field by the members of the project team?

In case I have one team project with three teams (tfs2013 -> team is defined by area path) and every team has five members. I want to filter the dropdown of the ‘assigned to’ field according to the team defined by the area path selection in order to get just five members in the dropdown.

Friday, January 17, 2014 10:46 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

According to your description, you may want to customize a pick list for Assigned To field.

By default, the list for the Assigned To field contains the account names for all users and groups that have been added to TFS. These accounts are often synchronized with Active Directory. Maybe you need to create a new group in Active Directory. See Set up groups for use in TFS deployments.

More information, please refer to the article below:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd695793.aspx

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, January 20, 2014 9:56 AM
  • Hi.

thank you for your suggestion. I know how to customize a pick list and how to use AD Groups as allowed values in this list.

But i am looking for a flexible solution. Can i link a pick list to a project team and their members? A project team which was defined in the tfs web portal must not necessarily match to a AD group!

Is it possible to create such a pick list?

Monday, January 20, 2014 10:13 AM
  • Hi,

Maybe you could try below xml file:

<FieldDefinition name="Assigned To" refname="System.AssignedTo" type="String" syncnamechanges="true" reportable="dimension">

<ALLOWEXISTINGVALUE />

<ALLOWEDVALUES expanditems="true" filteritems="excludegroups">

<LISTITEM value="[project]\projectteam" />

</ALLOWEDVALUES>

</FieldDefinition>

Similar cases, please refer to:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/474d0807-1e27-4522-a19d-a04a85af5017/tfs2012-additional-users-appearing-in-work-item-assign-to-field?forum=tfsadmin

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/01804f95-43c8-4789-aa00-d1e2a25c1efe/how-do-i-limit-the-list-of-people-who-show-up-in-the-work-item-assigned-to-field?forum=tfsadmin

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 9:55 AM
  • Hi.

OK. That's the half way. Now i can filter to exactly one project team in my TFS Team Project. Thanks.

But what about creating a dependency to the area path. if my work item belongs to "area 1" the pick list just shows the members of "Team 1". If work item belongs to "area 2" the pick list shows the members of "Team 2".

Can i create something like a "if/then" scenario?

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 11:25 AM
  • Hi,

First, get the AreaID for your AreaPath.

Then try this:

(In my scenario, I have 2 Areas. One is DemoProject Team, AreaId is 9. The other is Team1, AreaId is 103. You can replace the values as you want)

<FieldDefinition name="Assigned To" refname="System.AssignedTo" type="String" syncnamechanges="true" reportable="dimension">
      <ALLOWEXISTINGVALUE />
      <WHEN field="System.AreaId" value="9">
          <LISTITEM value="[project]\DemoProject Team" />
        </ALLOWEDVALUES>
      </WHEN>
      <WHEN field="System.AreaId" value="103">
          <LISTITEM value="[project]\Team1" />
        </ALLOWEDVALUES>
      </WHEN>
    </FieldDefinition>

I tested this on my TFS 2013, and could get what exactly you want. Please have a try.

More information of applying a rule to a work item field, please refer to:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms404857.aspx

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 11:26 AM