none
Conversion of Foxprow.exe screens to vfp9

Question

• I have run the conversion utility to move a conventional foxpro for woindows 2.6 app to vfp9. I did not Visual forms option. The new scx forms seem to run just fine with one exception: When I drag the mouse pointer across a command button, the form blanks out and turns grey, but does not close the form  or terminate the read, because I can poke around and locate and execute the "hidden" command buttons with a mouse click. My command buttons are fairly typical navigation and edit buttons that would be produced by a Quick Screen with standard READACT() AND READDEAC() functions.

Furthermore, I can successfully execute one the command buttons with an Alt+hotkey instead of the mouse click. Once I have done that one time, thereafter the form responds correctly to mouse events. So the odd behavior seems to happen only when any form is first opened.

Any help would be appreciated. Also, can anyone recommend a good book for an experienced Foxpro for Windows programmer who is pretty new to vfp?

Thanks.

Tuesday, October 02, 2007 8:09 PM

Answers

• To solve your visual problems, add _SCREEN.Themes = .F. somewhere really early in your application.

To learn VFP, start with "The Fundamentals" by Whil Hentzen, available from www.hentzenwerke.com. Although it was written for VFP 6, it's almost entirely applicable today.

Also, while a conversion will get your app running in the short run, you probably won't be happy with the results, and will want to look at a rewrite fairly quickly.

Tamar
    Tuesday, October 02, 2007 8:44 PM
  •  Bob DuPuy wrote:

"Also, while a conversion will get your app running in the short run, you probably won't be happy with the results, and will want to look at a rewrite fairly quickly."

I've seen this comment in other places. Will the disappointment be because of performance or because of the difficulty of maintenance or what? I anticipate that this will be a fairly static app.

Converted FPW screens to VFP forms will look ugly. If you want to follow Windows GUI Guidelines or otherwise make your forms look modern and appealing, you will need to re-write them.

If you want to take advantage of newer designs and architectures (e.g OOP) and easier maintenance, you may want to re-write.

If you anticipate ever swapping the back-end database (e.g. SQL Server), or the front end to offer different UIs in the same app (Web Browser, mobile apps, etc.) you will need to change your architecture to an N-Tier design.

As someone who has gone through this process before (more than once), I can tell you this is a good time to do a re-write.

HTH

Wednesday, October 03, 2007 5:16 PM

All replies

• To solve your visual problems, add _SCREEN.Themes = .F. somewhere really early in your application.

To learn VFP, start with "The Fundamentals" by Whil Hentzen, available from www.hentzenwerke.com. Although it was written for VFP 6, it's almost entirely applicable today.

Also, while a conversion will get your app running in the short run, you probably won't be happy with the results, and will want to look at a rewrite fairly quickly.

Tamar
    Tuesday, October 02, 2007 8:44 PM
  • "Also, while a conversion will get your app running in the short run, you probably won't be happy with the results, and will want to look at a rewrite fairly quickly."

I've seen this comment in other places. Will the disappointment be because of performance or because of the difficulty of maintenance or what? I anticipate that this will be a fairly static app.

Thanks very much for the tips.

Bob

Tuesday, October 02, 2007 9:53 PM
  •  Bob DuPuy wrote:

"Also, while a conversion will get your app running in the short run, you probably won't be happy with the results, and will want to look at a rewrite fairly quickly."

Converted FPW screens to VFP forms will look ugly. If you want to follow Windows GUI Guidelines or otherwise make your forms look modern and appealing, you will need to re-write them.

If you want to take advantage of newer designs and architectures (e.g OOP) and easier maintenance, you may want to re-write.

If you anticipate ever swapping the back-end database (e.g. SQL Server), or the front end to offer different UIs in the same app (Web Browser, mobile apps, etc.) you will need to change your architecture to an N-Tier design.

As someone who has gone through this process before (more than once), I can tell you this is a good time to do a re-write.

HTH

Wednesday, October 03, 2007 5:16 PM
  • Thank you for your help. The _SCREEN.Themes -.F. worked perfrectly, even though I don't understand it.

I downloaded the book by Whil Hentzen and I have already gotten through the chapter 10 Using VFP to build Object-Oriented Forms. Amazingly, I really got it. You have convinced me to do the rewrite.

Bob DuPuy

Tuesday, October 09, 2007 8:54 PM