none
taskmgr.exe is missing. Where is this in the ICE

Question

• So I have my first deployment tested with my apps and ready for a deployment test. Wanted to check my mem usage, so did the right click on the task bar and selected Show Task Manager. Was shocked to get an error indicating that taskmgr.exe could not be found. Checked the system32 folder and sure enough, it's not there.

Did not think there was a way to install WES without it. So, now, where is this configured in the ICE and is it possible to add it into an existing deployment?

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 6:10 PM

All replies

• It is apart of the, Packages\Diagnostics\User, package. 

It should be possible to add it to an existing deployment, but there might be side effects. You might want to add it to your answer file first and see if there are any missing dependencies first. If you are missing other required packages then you'll have to add those first. To add the package(s) to an installed OS you'll need to use DISM which you can find all the commands for here;

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744382(WS.10).aspx

As you can see you can either add this package to an online image or a captured offline image/wim file.

The package you want to add is located on your development machine under

For 32-bit

%InstallPath%\Windows Embedded Standard 7\DS\Packages\FeaturePack\x86~winemb-diagnostics-user

or

For 64-bit

%InstallPath%\Windows Embedded Standard 7\DS64\Packages\FesturePack\amd64~winemb-diagnostics-user

Hope this helps. 

"Learning without thought is labor lost; Thought without learning is perilous." Confucius
    • Proposed as answer by KNARZ Wednesday, September 28, 2011 8:06 PM
    • Edited by Osolith Wednesday, September 28, 2011 8:11 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by VanAwful Wednesday, September 28, 2011 10:34 PM
    • Proposed as answer by cnxyang Monday, September 10, 2012 9:03 AM
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 8:02 PM
  • Osolith, thank you. That added taskmgr.exe to the deployment. Next problem is that taskmgr.exe will not run. :( Looking in the event logs I see nothing to indicate why it will not run.

I did add it to the answer file in ICE first to see which dependencies it would need. I then added those first using DISM. After a reboot I added the USER package.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 10:25 PM
  • It should be possible to add it to an existing deployment, but there might be side effects. You might want to add it to your answer file first and see if there are any missing dependencies first. If you are missing other required packages then you'll have to add those first.

(I hate this Board-typ):
    This means you should resolve dependencies first in ICE. Add the Package to your Answerfile. Look for missing Packages. Resolve the Dependencies. Than copy all packages from the DS and add them to the image via DISM. Taskmgr should run now.

"Mark/Propose As Answer" if you got one.
    • Edited by KNARZ Wednesday, September 28, 2011 10:37 PM
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 10:36 PM
  • Yeah sometimes when adding key components on the back end they don't work properly. For example I forgot to add Windows Firewall to one of my images and added it on the back end but the Firewall CPL didn't work, but luckily the WF.msc did work, but that was the only way you could configure the firewall after that.

Unfortunately there isn't any other way to use taskmgr if it doesn't open. Before scrapping that image and starting over creating a new answer file, you might want to check the GPE settings for Task Manager. It might be set to disabled, but it is unlikely.

BTW is there any error message that pops up when you try to open taskmgr.exe? And how have you tried to open it? ie, shortcuts, Run... command and directly from the program in system32?

"Learning without thought is labor lost; Thought without learning is perilous." Confucius
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 10:50 PM
  • I get no errors and nothing shows up in the event logs. Have tried to launch the exe directly; through the task bar; and ctrl+shift+esc. Nothing.

However, now I get all kinds of errors when I try to run gpedit.msc. They indicate missing resource files for the admx files that were added when I added in the USER package. Funny thing is that the ICE does not indicate an issue at all.

Working on fresh deployment out of ICE with the corrected answer file. Going to set my current test box aside and install the new deployment on a fresh one and see if it has any issues. Luckily most of my app work is with java and apache so I can just copy my app directory structure over ... along with redoing some work.

Def lesson learnt. Fully test all aspects of the OS deployement before committing to the app work. :)

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 11:04 PM
  • The gpedit issue can be IE related. Do you have IE installed?
    The Keystroke is Explorer.exe / Shell related. If you're using a custom shell than no taskmgr will appear.
    "Mark/Propose As Answer" if you got one.

• Edited by KNARZ Wednesday, September 28, 2011 11:32 PM
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 11:30 PM
  • Yup, have all IE components and windows shell installed. The gpedit errors did not occur until after I added the diagnostics|user package.
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 11:36 PM
  • Since you added a new package to the image, you should look to re-add the language package so the MUI resource get installed.

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - ProGuide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, WEPOS / POS for .NET Step-by-Step
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 4:51 AM
  • I built a new deployment with the updated answer file and have no more issues with it. I would like to know why servicing an existing deployment did not work.

Sean, good idea. I will recreate the issue and try to reload the langurage pack to see if that corrects it.

Thursday, September 29, 2011 9:51 PM
  • Packages are language nuetral. If you add something new to an image, you have to apply the language pack. Cover in Exercise 501 in my book.

If you have multiple language packages in the image, all the lp.cab files will have to be re-applied.

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - ProGuide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, WEPOS / POS for .NET Step-by-Step
    • Proposed as answer by cnxyang Monday, September 10, 2012 9:02 AM
    Friday, September 30, 2011 3:09 AM
  • I encount just the same prombles as VanAwful. I add the usr package and also the gpedit's policy resource promble. Then i do as Sean said, re-adding the lp language package, then everything goes well. Thanks Sean~
    Monday, September 10, 2012 9:02 AM