Tracking Variables Sample

Question

• Is there a sample out there which if you run will populate the Tracking Variables Tab of the Tracked Events query dialog in AppFabric? I have had a look but I have been unsuccessful in finding one.
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 4:11 AM

Answers

• Hi Rob,

One of the easiest ways to take a look at tracked variables is to use the sample application that we provide with our samples. (Seehttp://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=169336). That sample order workflow has a tracking profile (*.TP) in the project directory. Deploy that service and use IIS Manager to configure the service (not the application). On the monitoring tab browse to set a tracking profile, and select the one that ships with the sample. Then invoke the service (the sample has a client), and you should see tracked variables when you view the Tracked Events page for that application.

Thanks,

chris

• Marked as answer by Rob4321 Thursday, April 15, 2010 8:47 PM
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 5:07 PM

All replies

• Hi Rob,

One of the easiest ways to take a look at tracked variables is to use the sample application that we provide with our samples. (Seehttp://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=169336). That sample order workflow has a tracking profile (*.TP) in the project directory. Deploy that service and use IIS Manager to configure the service (not the application). On the monitoring tab browse to set a tracking profile, and select the one that ships with the sample. Then invoke the service (the sample has a client), and you should see tracked variables when you view the Tracked Events page for that application.

Thanks,

chris

• Marked as answer by Rob4321 Thursday, April 15, 2010 8:47 PM
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 5:07 PM
  • But that's tracking via some custom class to a custom database.

AppFabric itself can track variables as well, via tracking profiles or so? Is there an example for that as well?

Friday, June 04, 2010 12:05 PM
  • Dennis, the sample application I pointed to is not using anything custom. It uses a tracking profile to track a variable from the workflow and write it to AppFabric's Monitoring database.

--chris

Friday, June 04, 2010 2:42 PM
  • You are right, I'm sorry. All activities track data at state "Closed". Looking at the MSDN documentation though, I can use various state names, but not the state "Closed". How come it's in the sample, and works? :)

Thanks in advance

Friday, June 04, 2010 8:17 PM
  • Take a look at this blog entry http://blogs.technet.com/b/chriscraft/archive/2010/05/01/a-sample-net-4-wf-tracking-profile-editor.aspx. In there I've attached a zipped VS project for a tracking profile editor. There's also a Word doc in the folder. On the first page of the doc are some good resources for learning about workflow tracking in .NET 4.

"Closed" is a valid state in workflow in .NET 4.

--chris

Friday, June 04, 2010 9:08 PM