none
SSRS how to set Dataset to fileds?

Question

• Hi, guys

I am new to SSRS.

I have 4 Datasets in my report.

When I write expression, the Field in Category is shown like "Fileds(Dataset3)".

For other Dataset in Category, it have only first or Sum function.

How can I make the new Dataset to shown like Fields(Dataset4) so that I can use its column value directely?

Thanks,

Sosa

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 7:35 PM

Answers

• Hi Sosa,

Fields(DatasetName) shows that your report item(Tablix,Matrix,Chart..) primarily refers to that dataset thats why it shows field name without any function. Other Datasets can be utilize for showing parameter's values or for some other work. If you want to utilize other dataset field's values in your tablix/matrix then either you need to use field with First/Sum/any aggregate function or using Lookup Function.

Hope above description solves your issue.

Thanks,

Vishal

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 7:59 PM
  • Hi Sosa,

Fields(DatasetName) shows the fields that you query from database in the dataset. If the dataset associated to the Tablix, we can get the value in Category dialog box.

In the Dataset, it display the fields in the corresponding dataset. No matter if there is a dataset associated to the Tablix. If the field with int\float type, we can get a Sum() value. If the field with string type, we will get a First() value. It is by default, so we cannot use a column value directely.

As Vishal post earlier, we can use lookup() function if we want to use more than two dataset fields in one tablix. Lookup() function is support in the later version of SQL Server 2008 R2.
    You can refer to the article below:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee210531(v=sql.105).aspx

Hope this helps. If you have any problem, please feel free to let me know.

Regards,
    Alisa Tang

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 11:37 AM

All replies

• Hi Sosa,

Fields(DatasetName) shows that your report item(Tablix,Matrix,Chart..) primarily refers to that dataset thats why it shows field name without any function. Other Datasets can be utilize for showing parameter's values or for some other work. If you want to utilize other dataset field's values in your tablix/matrix then either you need to use field with First/Sum/any aggregate function or using Lookup Function.

Hope above description solves your issue.

Thanks,

Vishal

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 7:59 PM
  • Hi Sosa,

Fields(DatasetName) shows the fields that you query from database in the dataset. If the dataset associated to the Tablix, we can get the value in Category dialog box.

In the Dataset, it display the fields in the corresponding dataset. No matter if there is a dataset associated to the Tablix. If the field with int\float type, we can get a Sum() value. If the field with string type, we will get a First() value. It is by default, so we cannot use a column value directely.

As Vishal post earlier, we can use lookup() function if we want to use more than two dataset fields in one tablix. Lookup() function is support in the later version of SQL Server 2008 R2.
    You can refer to the article below:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee210531(v=sql.105).aspx

Hope this helps. If you have any problem, please feel free to let me know.

Regards,
    Alisa Tang

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 11:37 AM