none
Upgrade from 32bit to 64bit Office 2010?

Question

• Hello, I've just bought and installed Office Home and Student 2010. I've noticed that the 32bit version has installed (automatically). Hoping to get the most out of my machine I was wondering if it is possible to upgrade/install again to 64bit from the CD ROM?

Monday, August 16, 2010 8:44 AM

Answers

• Hi Edward

This question belongs in the "Answers" forums. The MSDN forums are for programming questions, not basic installation, setup or end-user. Try here:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/group/Office

FWIW Microsoft doesn't recommend using the 64-bit installation (which is why it automatically installs as 32-bit) unless you really need it. Most of Office doesn't leverage 64-bit, and there are some things that won't work. The only part of Office 2010 that does work with the additional 64-bit capability is huge Excel workbooks that do massive amounts of calculations. This link has more detailed information about the differences.

Please note that I'm not even sure the Home and Student edition even has 64-bit support. You'll get more information in the Answers forum.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    Monday, August 16, 2010 9:23 AM

All replies

• Hi Edward

This question belongs in the "Answers" forums. The MSDN forums are for programming questions, not basic installation, setup or end-user. Try here:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/group/Office

FWIW Microsoft doesn't recommend using the 64-bit installation (which is why it automatically installs as 32-bit) unless you really need it. Most of Office doesn't leverage 64-bit, and there are some things that won't work. The only part of Office 2010 that does work with the additional 64-bit capability is huge Excel workbooks that do massive amounts of calculations. This link has more detailed information about the differences.

Please note that I'm not even sure the Home and Student edition even has 64-bit support. You'll get more information in the Answers forum.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    Monday, August 16, 2010 9:23 AM
  • Thank you Cindy - I'll leave things as they are. Edward

(sorry for submitting on the wrong forum)

Monday, August 16, 2010 9:32 AM