Is AXUM dead?

Question

• No feedback since weeks, no new release, no news at all. What's the state?
    neil
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 8:14 AM

Answers

• The short answer is no, although I don't blame you for thinking so. The reason for no feedback is simply that Josh, who was our Great Communicator is now off in another product team in Microsoft. I'll make an effort to improve things.
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 6:25 PM

All replies

• The short answer is no, although I don't blame you for thinking so. The reason for no feedback is simply that Josh, who was our Great Communicator is now off in another product team in Microsoft. I'll make an effort to improve things.
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 6:25 PM
  • Would regret this, because Axum is promising. Right now (also because of the simple ability to add APM supported socket based communications) I'm using CCR for my needs, but I find AXUM a bit more straight forward in the sense of "exactly this way I would roll the things" :) CCR is OK (at least it seems to work fine), but it jabbers to much :)

What about .net CF with Axum?

Regards

BTW: You have written some very "inviting" articles around AXUM, thanks for it !

neil
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 9:15 PM
  • Let me elaborate a bit further:

Recently, we have spent most of our time talking about Axum with various people around the company and externally. I spoke at PDC in November, I was recently in Denmark speaking about it and I'm going to have a session on Axum at TechDays 2010 in Sweden next week. The response continues to be very positive.

However, we have not evolved the basic model significantly in the last 6-8 months or so: the big question for us now is what to do with it. Should it be released in VS, should it be a separate release, or should we just steal ideas from it and integrate into other languages? The answer is not obvious, and we're going to make sure that we take the time to figure it out properly.

In the meantime, I will make an effort not to neglect this forum and those of you who are actually still trying it out.

Mea culpa,

Niklas
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 9:51 PM
  • Thanks for the detailed feedback. I personally would prefer a VS release, similar to what is there now (with more Intellisense support of course :)) And a .net CF version would be great.

Keep on doing this and don't worry. My question wasn't meant offensive, just curious. 
    Regards

neil
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 11:08 PM
  • I think you should not couple Axum to VS product life cycle and make it oficial part of the VS family of languages. That way it would be easier to develop Axum quickly, with frequent iterations and with freedom for  each major version to be backward incompatible. Other languages would borrow ideas and their implementations from Axum when they become mature.

Saturday, March 20, 2010 1:33 AM