Windows Live Contacts - 1,000 contacts limit?

Question

• I wanted to check on what seems to be a limitation in the maximum number of contacts that Windows live can handle for a single account.  Is that value 1,000?  If so, are there plans to lift that or is the perhaps a way to work around this?  The kinds of clients we support (Real Estate Agents) invariably have more than 1,000 contacts.

thanks,

Scott.
    Wednesday, October 24, 2007 3:05 PM

Answers

• Hi, Scott:

The value is indeed 1000 currently.  It will be increased shortly, but only by a small percentage.  The Address Book service is designed for personal use rather than small businesses.  Microsoft has other products designed specifically for different sizes of enterprise/business (for instance, the Windows Small Business Server: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/sbs/default.mspx)

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 8:00 PM

All replies

• Hi, Scott:

The value is indeed 1000 currently.  It will be increased shortly, but only by a small percentage.  The Address Book service is designed for personal use rather than small businesses.  Microsoft has other products designed specifically for different sizes of enterprise/business (for instance, the Windows Small Business Server: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/sbs/default.mspx)

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 8:00 PM
  • Richard,

I think YuanYuan meant that for business purposes (like @realestate.com) a Small Business Server-solution is more easily manageable than giving everyone a Hotmail address. That's not a solution to your problem - the 1000 person contact limit.

I don't know why it exists, but I think it's a measure to prevent spammers from getting huge address lists (in the case of account hijacks). Also, the amount of people who need over 1,000 contacts in their contacts list is very small.
    Saturday, May 23, 2009 11:08 PM
  • When are they upgrading the limit on accounts? I've previously hit the limits on Windows Live Messenger and I'm getting close to 1000 Windows Live Contacts. I use Live Contacts as my primary database of contacts and it's growing every month.
    SondreB - Microsoft Regional Director - www.sondreb.com
    Monday, July 06, 2009 11:36 AM
  • Hi Alex,

On my own I have somthing like 30K contacts as a result of 20 years of activity in different companies.

That would be great for me to have no limite so that i can move my contacts to hotmail and not spend my time playing between Plaxo, LInkedIn and other systems all limited on their sides too.

We've paid pay enough to Microsoft for years to ask them to make a little effort :-)
    Friday, July 24, 2009 12:19 AM
  • I now can't edit existing contacts, because when I do, I hit the error message about not being able to have more than 1000 contacts. It seems goofy, because I currently have 1305 contacts.

How can 1000 be a realistic limit in this era of social networking? And this is a PAID Hotmail Plus account! Why am I paying money to have a strict limit.

Google looks better every day <sigh>. Microsoft, wake up already!

DofZIN.
    Saturday, November 07, 2009 11:37 PM
  • I now can't edit existing contacts, because when I do, I hit the error message about not being able to have more than 1000 contacts. It seems goofy, because I currently have 1305 contacts.

How can 1000 be a realistic limit in this era of social networking? And this is a PAID Hotmail Plus account! Why am I paying money to have a strict limit.

Google looks better every day <sigh>. Microsoft, wake up already!

DofZIN.

I totally agree with DofZIN. I hope the developer of Windows Live or MSN Messenger consider lifting the bar. We are in a social era where we make many many frens everywhere... and my personal contacts already hit 3500... and more than 1000 are in MSN... but I can no longer add new friends into my MSN/Live Messenger. I really love messenger to keep in touch with frens... nothing else can hold a candle against messenger here... only the issue with the limiting contacts is reli pissy... sigh...
    Monday, September 27, 2010 12:26 PM
  • Hello, i heard about provisioning an account, to remove that limit... but nobody seems to know how to do that!

Does anybody know how to?

thanks

Pàscal

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 8:45 PM
  • So what is the max limit at this date?
    Saturday, October 23, 2010 12:40 AM
  • there is no limit with google or yahoo ...

so make your choice but hotmail or livemail is not the best solution

Tuesday, November 02, 2010 11:14 AM
  • Seems to have increased recently, its let me have over 1000 now!
    -Nick-
    Friday, January 14, 2011 11:25 PM