Connecting to a network that requires credentials - On Campus

Question

• first of - I downloaded this just to fiddle around with it on my netbook and I understand that my resolution doesn't allow me to do everything.

To the point though

1 - I can connect to my secure home network just fine with no problems, in other words my wireless card works fine.

2 - My campus requires that we log into the access point with student User Name and Password.

3 - After entering this information to connect to the internet, I get the following -

"Windows can't verify the servers credentials

If you are in the area where you expect to find this network, the go ahead and connect.  Otherwise it is possible that this is a different network with the same name.

Certificate details -

Issued to: sulfur.uww.edu

Issued by: COMODO High-Assurance

Valid from 1/11/2011 to 1/12/2012

Serial No: 6136 CC16 8D48 FA0B 7D17 28CD 90D2 B3F0 "

4 - I then hit "Connect"

5 - It attempts to connect for about 1-2 minutes or so and then says that it is unable to connect to the network.

I was just curious if anyone else was having this problem or if there was a solution that I should try to fix this.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:35 PM

Answers

• SOLVED!

I had this problem too. It wouldn't let me log in to any campus wifi networks but my phone's wifi hotspot worked just fine.

TO FIX:

1. Go to Device Manager
    2. Go to Network Adapters
    3. Disable "Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter"

and you're good to go!

Dear Microsoft:

Please take that crap out.

Love,

Every college student ever.

P.S. Windows 8 looks sexy, and has restored my faith in your company.

Friday, December 09, 2011 9:15 PM
  • Thanks for your help Aaron! Someone might have pushed out a bugfix before we were able to pinpoint the exact problem. It should not have taken 4 tries though, so I'll still send this feedback on to the wireless authentication team.
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 10:13 PM

All replies

• It seems that your COMODO firewall is not authorising Windows 8 as the OS is not allowed by your NetAdmin.

You may have to contact your Admin and ask him to make necessary changed to rules.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:55 PM
  • I stopped in to see the IT guys a little bit ago and they said that that might just be the problem.  Thanks for the input and I'll let you know if that's what it is when they get back to me.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:29 PM
  • Can you ask your IT guys if your network requires EAP-TTLS with PAP inner authentication? If so, you may need to download a software package from IT that contains certificates and other information needed to connect to your network. After installing that, Windows should be able to connect to your network.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:41 PM
  • I have a similar problem here. Our campus wireless reaquires EAP and AD credentials, I don't see a way to manually configure wireless settings. It appears the option to Manage Wireless Networks is not available on WIndows8 like it is on Windows 7.
    Jeffrey S. Patton Assistant Director of IT School of Engineering Computing Services University of Kansas 1520 West 15th Street Lawrence, KS. 66045-7621 | http://patton-tech.com
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:20 PM
  • Yes, that is the authentication that they use!  Do you know of where I can get the software package to fix this?

Thanks again

*edit

it may be EAP PEAP since that is what the properties say when I'm in Windows 7.

• Edited by outer78 Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:28 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:21 PM
  • @outer78: Did you install any software package from IT on Windows 7? If so, the same software package will probably work also. If you didn't install anything extra, and you still have Win7 available, try the "advanced" way I've posted below. As far as I know, there aren't any EAP-TTLS-PAP clients that are free to download and install. SecureW2 used to be open source but it looks like they've gone commercial now.

@Jeffrey: You should be able to use "Add a wireless network" to specify advanced wireless settings. Failing that, you can do it the advanced way:

In Windows 7:

1. Configure the wireless network(s)
    2. Open an administrator command prompt and type netsh wlan dump > c:\wlanconfig.txt
    3. Copy the c:\wlanconfig.txt file to your Windows 8 OS (c:\wlanconfig.txt on the win8 machine)

Then, on Windows 8:

1. Open an administrator command prompt
    2. Run netsh exec c:\wlanconfig.txt

At this point try connecting again; your wireless settings have been transferred.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:01 PM
  • When I go to add a wireless network, it goes directly to the sidebar of wireless networks, with no option to manually configure like we used to be able to do. Again there is no option available to me to manage my wireless networks like I used to in Windows 7.

I like the idea of copying between 7 and 8.

Jeffrey S. Patton Assistant Director of IT School of Engineering Computing Services University of Kansas 1520 West 15th Street Lawrence, KS. 66045-7621 | http://patton-tech.com
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:05 PM
  • As some others have mentioned there are some features missing from the Win8 developer preview (i.e. Windows Media Center). Don't assume that a feature has been removed though until you see the final release of Windows 8. Unfortunately, I can't comment about future releases. (Steven Sinofsky has said that WMC is not going away)

However, in the meantime, I am happy to provide workarounds :-)

Please let me know if netsh worked for you!

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:23 PM
  • Ok, I've installed Windows 8 on my personal laptop and it looks like my wireless issues on the other is a driver issue. I'm able to connect properly to my campus wireless network, but again there is no option to manage wireless networks like there is in Windows 7. Does anyone know if this has been phased out, or will it show up in later releases?

Thanks,

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:24 PM
  • I've not needed to use the netsh because I think my actual issue is driver related now. But keep the workarounds coming ;-)
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:31 PM
  • Thanks for the help Ben.  I will not be back to campus until tomorrow though(45 minute commute) so I will not be able to test this till then.  I will definitely be back to comment whether it worked or not though, so till then. Thanks again!

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 10:20 PM
  • Question @outer78: Do you actually have the COMODO firewall software installed? (i.e. did you install it explicitly?) Or is this a message from **Windows**?
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 7:08 AM
  • The "Windows can't verify......"  message that I received before was a message from Windows 8 when I tried to connect to my school network.  I have not personally installed this firewall on my computer at all or ever.  Also note that I never had to install anything to get Windows 7 to connect to my school network.  I will be back on campus in a few hours and will let you know how it goes. 

I also updated the build last night when I got home, so I am wondering if there was anything in there that may have helped.

Side note - I have already taken the drivers from Windows 7 and installed them in Windows 8 with no success of connection.  Also I am currently dual booting these on my netbook since I had a spare partition that I created a while ago on it.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 12:18 PM
  • Ok, I got onto campus a little earlier and before class I first tried to connect to the internet with the updates install and it didn't work.

I then rebooted the computer and jumped into Windows 7 to connect to the internet on campus to get the .txt file you wanted me to get.  I got the file, rebooted and jumped back into Windows 8.  I then ran the line you told me to run after copying the file onto the c: drive.  I went to try to connect to the internet in 2 different areas of campus and neither worked.

I am kind of curious what was supposed to be in that .txt file because it didn't look like much at all.  It was just the following below

"# ----------------------------------------
    # Wireless LAN configuration
    # ----------------------------------------
    pushd wlan

# Allow filter list

# Block filter list

popd
    # End of Wireless LAN Configuration"

I'm not too worried about this since its just a developers preview/pre beta.  I was just trying to see what it was like.  I'll keep trying any suggestions that you toss at me but if there are more important things for you guys to get to I can wait for the Beta to come out. 

Thanks again for all the help in trying to get this solved

Thursday, September 15, 2011 7:01 PM
  • @outer78, I really would like to make sure that Windows 8 is able to connect to the network you were able to connect to in Windows 7. Can you use Problem Steps Recorder (Start > Run > "psr") to record what you're seeing when you try to connect to the wireless network in Windows 8?

Monday, September 19, 2011 5:06 PM
  • Yeah sure I can do that for you.  I won't get to it until tomorrow(Tuesday) though, since I'm not on campus anymore today.
    Monday, September 19, 2011 5:41 PM
  • Great, thanks. You can e-mail me at b201109@vxcv.com and that e-mail will forward to my internal @microsoft.com address, from where I will reply to you directly. I am using a proxy e-mail which I can easily delete in a few days to avoid spam.

(Unfortunately, since I am an engineer and not a customer service rep, I don't have the ability to create cases with special e-mail addresses, etc.)

Thanks,
    Ben

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 8:53 PM
  • @Ben, Alright so I finally logged back onto widows 8 this morning back at home.  I then checked for updates to the build and there were 3.  I updated it and then brought it to school.  When I tried to connect, it took just as long except this time it finally connected!

I'm not sure if it was the updates that did it or if it was something on campus that happened this morning(I received an email saying that there was a fix to the authentication on campus this morning).  Either way it is up an working in different buildings.

I did run the PRS that you wanted me to run and can show you that, not sure how to put it on here though.  The only odd thing about connecting for the first time and saving my Name/password was that it requested my info 4 times when trying to connect.  I made sure it was right all 4 times and yet it still proceeded to try and connect and ask until it finally went through.

If there is anything you want me to do I can and if you want to see the PRS let me know and I can send it to you unless there is a way to post it on here.

Thanks for all the help

-Aaron

Now that I have connected once I do not have a problem connecting anymore.  It was just that initial stage of trying to connect.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 9:59 PM
  • Thanks for your help Aaron! Someone might have pushed out a bugfix before we were able to pinpoint the exact problem. It should not have taken 4 tries though, so I'll still send this feedback on to the wireless authentication team.
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 10:13 PM
  • Hi Aaron. I am from MSFT. Would it be possible for you to find out what the authentication related fix was that the Univ pushed out? I am also keen to know whether you are still seeing the long authentication delays in subsequent attempts
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 5:16 AM
  • Another thing i forgot to ask. Does the Univ. provide students a wireless profile to connect to its network, or do you create one manually, or do you just click connect the first time you see the network?
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 5:21 AM
  • I didn't bring my netbook with me today so I can't answer all of the questions right now, but I'll answer what I can.

"I am also keen to know whether you are still seeing the long authentication delays in subsequent attempts"

I no longer see these delays now that I have connected for the first time.  I have that network saved into my networks so that it connects automatically now.  If you want I can see if I can erase the profile and see if it hangs again.(not till tom though)

"Does the Univ. provide students a wireless profile to connect to its network, or do you create one manually, or do you just click connect the first time you see the network?"

I am assuming that they create a profile for us.  Before we can actually connect to the wireless network, we have to enter our NetID and Password.  Note, this is Before we connect and get into a browser, as in that is what is normally the password to connect to the network.

We don't have to create anything (as in profiles).  It is created already, I am assuming when our names/passwords are entered into the main computer when we register.

"Would it be possible for you to find out what the authentication related fix was that the Univ pushed out?"

As for this question, I have sent them an email asking about the authentication they use but I'm not sure if they really updated anything or if they had just fixed something that was down.  I included it in the email anyways though.

If any of this doesn't make any sense or if you have further questions, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer them.  I am not a developer, I am just a student with a slight background in computers from growing up.  I do know a little of the general things though.    I'll do what I can to help you guys out.  Running things from the cmd line doesn't bother me, I just don't really know much about writing the codes.

Hope that helps

-Aaron

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 6:16 PM
  • OK, so here is the information that they gave me in the email.  They say that its the general information that they give out to students and faculty.

MS Exchange Account

Server: post.uww.edu

Domain: uww

NetID and PW for login credentials

Authentication is WPA Enterprise.

If there is something more specific you want me to ask, just let me know.

-Aaron

Thursday, September 22, 2011 1:20 AM
  • Hi Aaron. Thanks you very much for providing all this info...

Would it be possible for you to remove the profile and try again? You will see the option to delete it if you  right-click on it in the desktop mode

When authenticating to the Wireless network are you entering the NetID and Password in the username/password dialog that is seen in the VAN UI when you click 'Connect'?

Again, thank you very much for taking the time to patiently respond to our questions :)

Thursday, September 22, 2011 9:53 AM
  • @Aanand,

"When authenticating to the Wireless network are you entering the NetID and Password in the username/password dialog that is seen in the VAN UI when you click 'Connect'?"

The answer to that is yes I am.

Ok, so I deleted the profile and tried to reconnect.  It did end up doing the same thing as last time.  That is, It asks for my NetID and password twice before trying to connect and then tries to connect for about 2 minutes and then asks for my information 2 more times to connect.

Below I have uploaded the saved file from a problem solver recorder, (PSR.EXE) that I ran while doing this.  I uploaded it to rapidshare and you should just be able to download as a free user.  I could also email it to you if you want me to.  You will notice that it took about 4 minutes to finally connect to the network for the first time.

Once I have this profile, it doesn't have a problem connecting and is usually connected before I log onto the computer after waking it from sleep.

https://rapidshare.com/files/1672402401/recorder.zip

Hope this answers your questions and let me know if there is anything else you want me to do to help out.

-Aaron

Thursday, September 22, 2011 8:46 PM
  • I'm having a similar problem except on a corporate network.  I can connect to our wireless network using Win 7.  The network is configured as follows: WPA2-Enterprise, AES encryption, PEAP w/o cert validation, EAP-MSCHAP-v2.  Authentication is performed against our AD.  Using the same configuration on the Windows 8 dev machine from Build I get "Connecting...." and eventually it fails.  Looking at the WLAN access point we can see that the MAC becomes associated and is authenticated.  After not being able to connect the next thing I tried was to remove the profile.  I believe the profile is now gone (right click on the connection in desktop mode no longer brings up the "Properties, Remove" menu.  Now I can't determine how to get back to the configuration dialogs for the connection.  When trying to connect it now asks for my credentials several times, then says that a certificate can't be validated and then fails when I say to connect anyway.
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 9:35 PM
  • Hi Sir,

I experience a similar problem, here is a screenshot of it. I hope there is a solution.

Thankyou

Monday, November 21, 2011 6:46 AM
  • Hey Dhin,

Check to be sure that your system time and date are set properly. If that doesn't help you may want to check to see if other devices that are using Windows Developer Preview can connect to his network. If not, you may need to reach out to the administrator/administrators for the network to see if the problem can be addressed from their end.

Steven
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 9:12 PM
  • I have been having similar problems. I dual boot Win7 Professional and the "Win8" Dev Preview. I cannot connect to our WPA2-Enterprise network either. I also get prompted for my credentials twice, but connection fails. I can connect to the non-secure Wireless our campus provides without problems. Our connection settings are below: 

WPA2-Enterprise, AES

Network Auth: Microsoft PEAP

Auth Method: Secured Password (EAP_MSCHAP v2)

Our server uses the Entrust.net Server Certificate, which we are required to accept upon connection to the network.

Fast Reconnect is disabled.

We use AD credentials to log in. 

I can connect fine with Win7, but connection with Win8 does not work. Any ideas?

Thursday, December 01, 2011 9:54 PM
  • Hey Scottflo,

Take a look at the answer provided in the thread linked below to see if helps you to be able to connect to the network using Windows Developer Preview:
    Wifi Settings

Hope that helps.

Steven
    Sunday, December 04, 2011 2:16 AM
  • Hi Steven,

I am able to get into the Wifi Settings (I've found that you can right click on the network in the sidebar and go to settings). I configured all the Advanced Wireless settings dialogs the same way as I did with Win7, but I still can't connect. Any ideas? I checked the Event logs...and I got some messages saying authentication succeeded at some point but I also saw some "Explicit EAP failure received" ones as well...

Sunday, December 04, 2011 3:00 AM
  • SOLVED!

I had this problem too. It wouldn't let me log in to any campus wifi networks but my phone's wifi hotspot worked just fine.

TO FIX:

1. Go to Device Manager

and you're good to go!

Dear Microsoft:

Love,

Friday, December 09, 2011 9:15 PM
  • SOLVED!

TO FIX:

1. Go to Device Manager

and you're good to go!

Dear Microsoft:

Love,

I have followed this solution but i couldn't find "Microsoft Virtual Wifi Miniport Adapter" , so what can i do now???
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 11:08 PM
  • Hey BillyMai,

Are you getting the same error message? ("Windows can't verify the servers credentials. If you are in the area where you expect to find this network, the go ahead and connect. Otherwise it is possible that this is a different network with the same name.")

If you are having problems connecting to a wireless network you may want to try installing the latest available driver for your computer's wireless card. You can do this by visiting your computer manufacturer's website to download/install the latest available drivers. If the driver isn't able to install successfully, try using the compatibility troubleshooter to see if it can help the driver to install properly. The compatibility troubleshooter can be opened by:

• Enter the Start screen
    • Move your mouse to the bottom left of the screen to expand the Charms section
    • Select Search
    • Type Compatibility
    • Click Settings in the right column
    • Click Run programs made for previous versions of Windows

Then follow the prompts and direct the troubleshooter to the installer for your computer's driver. You will likely want to choose the choice for This program worked in earlier versions of Windows but won't install or run now when it is given if the latest driver is only applicable to a different version of Windows.

Hope that helps.

Steven
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 1:39 AM