Windows Vista - Better than Windows 7, Good Ideas for Windows 8

General discussion

• I, WindowsVista567, created this post under an account that has since been deleted. If you have any questions about this post, I will respond to them from the "WindowsVista567" account, as I no longer have access to this one. Visit the "WindowsVista567 - old account" profile page for more information. All future replies to this thread will also come from the WindowsVista567 account.

This may come as a surprise to some, but my all-time favorite Windows OS is actually Windows Vista.

No, I'm not joking. In my opinion, Windows 7 was actually a step backwards in some ways compared to Windows Vista. There are several lessons that can be learned from Windows Vista, and some aspects of Vista that were good, and unfortuantely removed in Windows 7.

1. Built-in programs

Did you ever notice something funny about Windows 7? It's missing many built-in programs that came with Windows Vista and even Windows XP. Windows 7 has no e-mail client, no equivalent to Windows Movie Maker, and no Windows Photo Gallery equivalent. Also, Windows Vista had the ability to organize gadgets into a sidebar, one that could properly reconfigure itself based on screen resolution and display pages of gadgets, rather than squishing them together every time the resolution was lower. What does this mean? It means that letting users place objects on the screen wherever they want to is a bad idea, and it can create a cuttered experience. As for the removal of built-in programs, I sincerely hope these return in Windows 8, not as app store downloads but as programs that ship with the operating system, as almost everyone uses them and cannot always rely on a fast Internet connection.

2. Windows Media Player

Windows Vista was also the last version of Windows to include a great media player. Previous versions of Media Player allowed users to manage a current playlist while watching a video in another part of the player, without switching view modes. Strangely, this was removed in Windows 7. In my opinion, Media Player 12 is a major step backwards, and I would actually like to see the next version of Media Player implement a more Vista-like interface.

3. Screen Savers

This may be a trivial thing to compain about, but it is worth mentioning. Windows 7 (and Windows 8) have no good screensavers. The few that I actually like were removed from Windows 7. Hopefully, they will make a return in Windows 8.

4. Preview Pane and Windows Explorer

The implementation of the preview pane and other elements of the Explorer UI in Windows 7 is strange, and never consistent like it was in Vista. I could never figure out why, or if Microsoft actually thought it was a good idea to have the preview pane's size change every time a window is resized. Hopefully, this will be fixed in Windows 8.

Although not exactly a step backward, I was never a fan of Windows 7's taskbar. I almost wish Microsoft would add a "classic" mode to the taskbar, one that can fully emulate Vista's, rather than the partial implementation in Windows 7.

5. Developer Support

As far as I can tell, this one single mistake was what killed Vista, and is the only reason people think Windows 7 is better than Vista. Vista was launched before the tech world was ready, and had poor driver support out of the box. Fortuantely, Microsoft is already on its way to not repeating this mistake in Windows 8.

6. "Devices and Printers" Applet

Windows 7's method of handling devices, especially printers, can never compete with Vista's, considering that Vista lists each printer as a separate device even if it is a part of another printer. Windows 7 does not do this, which makes it hard to handle printers that are considered different, but tied to the same device. The lists are combined in Windows 7, and hopefully, Windows 8 will not do this.

There are lessons to be learned from the changes Microsoft made to Windows 7 from Vista, and most people ignore them. Sadly, these problems have never been mentioned, and everyone loves Windows 7. I can't really figure out why, because Vista actually seems better from a usability standpoint.

Saturday, September 17, 2011 12:29 AM

All replies

• You raise some good points, but let me address them all -

1) I believe this was an "anti-trust" issue, the same reason the EU versions didn't come with Media Player or Internet Explorer in some editions. I find it extremely annoying that Microsoft have to fight to include such basic functionality without other companies screaming.

2) Fair point.

3) Also fair (I think, I can't remember what screensavers Vista had :p).

4) I consider the taskbar one of the best (and defining) features of Windows 7 - overlay progress bars, jumplists, pinning. I never really used the preview pane so I can't comment on that.

5) Vista also used a considerable amount more system resources (RAM, CPU) in a typical install than XP or 7. The sidebar was a performance killer, and the way it handled graphics memory resulted in considerable RAM overhead (in fact, double - http://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-graphics-ram-desktop-memory,7644.html). There was also the slow copy performance until SP1 (which didn't entirely fix it), and the overkill UAC.

6) We have a single printer at work that appears as multiple print devices in Windows 7 (Black & White, Colour, Fax), so I'm not sure what you mean?

Vista was a first step in a good direction with regards to security and driver models, and being the first step it suffered for it both in readiness (as you mentioned) and user uptake.

Saturday, September 17, 2011 12:55 AM
  • To respond to what you said:

1. You're probably right, but I never heard anything like that before.

2. Nothing more to say.

3. Windows Vista contained the Windows Logo and Windows Energy screensavers, which were my two favorites. They are not in Windows 7.

4. As for the taskbar, it is certainly a defining characteristic of Windows 7, but I can't remember the last time I actually used a Jump List. Mabye if I spent more time examining it, I would use it more, but I never really saw a need for a feature like this, at least not on a decently powerful computer. I like the implementation of Aero Peek on the Taskbar, but Vista's version of thumbnails was better, in my opinion. To each his own, I guess.

5. As far as Vista's resource consumption goes, I have never used Windows Vista and Windows 7 on the same machine, so I can't comment on that. It is true that Vista was hard on my old computer, the one I am now using to test Windows 8, but that was when it only had 1 GB of RAM. It ran much better after I upgraded it to 3GB. Also, an AMD Athlon II 64 X2 4000+ running at 2.1 Ghz is not what Vista was designed for. That PC was outdated the day I bought it. If Vista had been released when Windows 7 was, I am sure that almost all new computers would have been up to the task of running it, as was the case with Windows 7.

6. My printer will only appear as multiple devices in Windows 7 when I am selecting a printer to print to. When I actually try to manage printers, Canon Pixma MX330 Series Printer and Canon Pixma MX330 Series FAX appear as one device. This was a problem when I mysterioulsy had (Copy 1) of each printer, in addition to the normal printer. There was no way to delete the copy without disabling and enabling the printer driver. If this had not fixed the problem, I might have had to reinstall the driver.

Saturday, September 17, 2011 1:07 AM
  • I actually think he "hate-vista" people where just fanboys of windowsXP, I've used Vista since the release on my main PC, up untill 7. I thought Vista was better than XP, {DX10, Searchbar, UI was nicer,..}.

Now the UAC popups didn't bother me at all either. I think Vista was still a step forward to XP, also notice that the build number of Windows7 is actually 6.x. not 7.x. So 7 is really a "modified" version of Vista.

Every microsoft OS has had it's good features added to it. Like now with windows8, so many people are "hating" the Metro UI. I don't use it, but I look at this from the point of view of a regular PC user, my girlfriend actually loved Metro UI.

Anyway, I did love this post, most people look at you as if you're from another planet if you mention Windows Vista being a decent OS!

Regards,

Dylan Meeus

0x2B |~ 0x2B Blog : www.it-ca.net/blogdylan
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 1:13 AM
  • You're right about Windows 7 being a modified Vista. Actually, during my daily use of Windows 7, it feels amost exactly the same, save for what I mentioned above. I would prefer it if Windows Vista SP2 was still the latest version and still compatible with everything that was going to be released in the forseeable future. This compatibility and the fact that it is not possible to buy Vista are my only real reasons for using Windows 7 at all. Something else interesting: have you ever noticed that most "newly uncovered hidden features" in Windows 7, such as the string used to display all control panel options, are actually present in Vista and not in XP?
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 1:20 AM
  • I think I'll just throw in my opinion on that as well as contrast :)

1) I'm glad all that is gone - then I don't have to spend time on removing it all again. Win 7 gives me a nice clean install without a huge bunch of junk that I don't use and just takes up space and resources that are better spent elsewhere... As a side-note: built-in programs is exactly what I hate about operating systems that comes with newer laptops - there are lots(!) of programs that e.g. Acer thinks I need to use -.-

2) I've never really used Windows Media Player ... I'm more a VLC-kind-of-guy...

3) I never use screen savers... If the computer really REALLY wants to, it can turn off the displays, but that's it...

4) Can't argue with you there - I like that it's there, but it doesn't exactly do what I want it to do...

5) Before the tech world was ready? Did you try Vista before SP1? Never have I had so many BSODs and crashes in general - Vista was launched before it was finished... Well - yeah - the drivers wasn't there at the moment of release, but they had to be written first and until then there was the XP compatibility which usually worked...

8) Don't know what you mean - I've never had any problems of that sort...

Saturday, September 17, 2011 1:22 AM
  • Ahh no I didn't realise this. I'm not saying I don't like 7 btw, I love 7 and I do see it as an improvement of Vista. I'm just not one of the guys who says windows XP is way better than Vista, or that Vista is the biggest OS failure in MS history.

0x2B |~ 0x2B Blog : www.it-ca.net/blogdylan
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 1:22 AM
  • About number 5...

Yes, I used Vista before SP1. I remember how using Windows Media Player would cause the computer to completely lock up for a while. I almost never encountered any blue screens, except for times when I overloaded the computer's integrated nVidia GPU. After upgrading to SP1 and installing a driver update, all of the freezing problems went away. I generally blame nVidia for this problem, especially since I had no problems after I installed Vista RTM using only generic video drivers. Yes, Vista was released before the tech world was ready. No, I do not blame Microsoft for the problems that people had, other than poor marketing. The software development was some of the best I've seen.

As for Number 1, none of the built-in programs in Windows Vista have ever bothered me. As for the programs that come with a new laptop, that is a completely different scenario. Most of these are completely useless, duplicate features that were already in Windows (though that is less common now, since so many features were removed, as I mentioned above), or expire after 30 days. Many of them are not real programs at all, but ads to download something for X amount of money or for old dial-up ISP's. These have nothing to do with the percieved "Vista bloatware."

Saturday, September 17, 2011 1:30 AM
  • Re: About number 5....

Well - it is a fair bit of time ago that I used Vista ... I've used Win 7 ever since the beta and pre-release... Hmm - and I don't really blame anyone for the problems I had with Vista - when it came out, it felt, to me at least, as an unfinished product - great potentials and great functionality ... just rather buggy... Well - maybe I just like Win 7 because I'm used to it and maybe I was just happy to get away from Vista because my computer wouldn't stop acting up...

Re: As for number 1..:

(Almost) none of the usual built-in programs have bothered either - I just don't want programs that I don't use running in the background (or running at all)... And yes - I know that it wasn't fair to compare it with laptops - that's just a small thing that annoys me quite a lot and has nothing to do with MS :) But ONE thing that has always annoyed me is that XP and Vista always assumed that I wanted to use their e-mail client etc and opened the programs at every opportunity they got (probably exaggerated, but that's just how I felt it)...

Saturday, September 17, 2011 1:44 AM
  • I'm beginning to wonder if I'm the only one who wants to see elements of Windows Vista return in Windows 8. I at least wish Microsoft would bring back the Sidebar and create a media player that is more like Windows Media Player 11. As it turns out, the Devices and Printers page in Windows 8 is identical to Windows 7's. Improved printer management would be helpful. There is good news, though. Microsoft has fixed the preview pane that was broken in Windows 7. Windows 8's screen savers are the same as Windows 7's, and some break when running while the Metro UI is open. Windows Movie Maker and Photo Gallery still haven't returned.
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 2:00 PM
  • On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 14:00:17 +0000, mt325000 wrote:

Windows Movie Maker and Photo Gallery still haven't returned

Since these are part of Windows Live Essentials now, they won't.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Bubble memory:  A derogatory term, usually referring to a person's
    intelligence. See also "vacuum tube."

Saturday, September 17, 2011 2:05 PM
  • I thought the idea behind Windows Live Essentials was to move the perceived Vista "bloatware," which, in my opinion, was never a problem to begin with, online, in the form of a download. Wouldn't it make more sense to integrate the "Windows Live Essentials" suite (mostly enhanced Vista programs) into the operating system?
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 2:11 PM
  • On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 14:11:31 +0000, mt325000 wrote:

I thought the idea behind Windows Live Essentials was to move the perceived Vista "bloatware," which, in my opinion, was never a problem to begin with, online, in the form of a download.?Wouldn't it make more sense to integrate the "Windows Live Essentials" suite (mostly enhanced Vista programs) into the operating system?

The other, more important reason was so that the development of the WLE
    apps was decoupled from that of the OS, allowing for more freedom and more
    frequent releases.

Paul Adare
    Supercomputer:  Turns CPU-bound problem into I/O-bound problem.  -- Ken
    Batcher

Saturday, September 17, 2011 2:14 PM
  • I see. Yes, this does make sense.  However, even if Live Essentials were integrated into the OS, they could still be updated in the same way that Internet Explorer is, for example. Remember, not everyone who uses computers even has access to an Internet connection powerful enough to download Windows Live Essentials. Microsoft shouldn't assume that these people can't afford or don't care about computers, either, because they may live in an area where they can't get DSL or Cable. By the way, is there any chance that a more organized "sidebar" option will return in Windows 8? The gadgets can be arranged in a sidebar-like shape at the side of the screen, but it never works as well as having a dedicated sidebar.

Saturday, September 17, 2011 2:21 PM
  • On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 14:21:47 +0000, mt325000 wrote:

By the way, is there any chance that a more organized "sidebar" option will return in Windows 8? The gadgets can be arranged in a sidebar-like shape at the side of the screen, but it never works as well as having a dedicated sidebar.

Beats me, I don't work for Microsoft.

Paul Adare
    If a program is useful, it must be changed.

Saturday, September 17, 2011 2:32 PM
  • I found Vista (x64) very good myself - I ran my (entrepreneurial software) business on it for years before Windows 7 came out.

Vista had more things right out-of-the-box than XP or Windows 7, but I'm happy to say that with a combination of tweaks and 3rd party software Windows 7 has actually gotten better/more productive/easier to use than Vista was.

I still have Vista x64 on one of my machines, which transitioned from being a workstation to a software server.  It just runs and runs for months without reboot (basically, until Windows Update requires one).  It's super stable, always fast on the net.

Regarding Windows 8, what I don't understand is why it can't be every bit as good/powerful on the Aero Desktop and STILL offer the Metro side as well.  It's like Microsoft is intentionally hobbling the desktop to get people to move off of it and onto Metro.  They need to face the fact that not everyone is wanting to play games or use just one app at a time.

-Noel

• Edited by Noel Carboni Saturday, September 17, 2011 2:35 PM
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 2:33 PM
  • MinWin has a lot to do with this.

Saturday, September 17, 2011 2:36 PM
  • When I think of "MinWin," I remember an article back in early 2009 about how Windows 7 was just Vista with a few modifications, and about how the base Windows kernel now is much larger than Windows XP's. I don't see any reason for Windows to get out of the way by removing included software. Most new desktops today are quad-core, and can easily handle an operating system like Windows Vista. Maybe ideas like MinWin were more important back in 2008 and 2009 during the cheap PC craze, and it can be helpful when running Windows 8 on a tablet, but it is completely pointless for running Windows on a desktop or even a decent laptop.
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 2:53 PM
  • I'm still looking for the link but I read how MinWin is being considered as a just another depenency that gets distributed with every app.

Basically, every app would run as a mini VM.

If your app needs more than MinWin then other OS parts are added to the distro.

I can't recall the whole article, obviously this seems like a lot of redundancy. It had something to do with Cloud OS.

Saturday, September 17, 2011 3:30 PM
  • The MinWin concept seems to be about making it possible to have a smaller Windows kernel with certain basic capabilities removed, except for those necessary. There is nothing about including the Windows Live Essentials apps that would make this harder to accomplish or less possible, since a user could decide to simply not install them during setup from the CD, or OEM's could decide not to include them.
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 3:37 PM
  • If you get your OS from the cloud then the minimum boot system as the distro will be key.

I agree that more can be included on the dvd in today's environment. But I can also see how MS would start moving optionals as a download looking towards the future.

• Edited by CraigLaurin Saturday, September 17, 2011 3:42 PM
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 3:40 PM
  • Just a quick update to the Vista discussion...

I have checked resource usage in Windows 8 running on the same PC that I used to run Vista on. Memory usage is less than Vista, but Windows 8 is still hard on the CPU. Vista may have been resource intensive, but Windows 7 and Windows 8's improvements do not necessarily translate into any real-world gain. Windows 8 on the same computer doesn't really perform any better than Vista did. Even if Vista didn't run as well on 2007 hardware, today's computers are more than up to the challenge, with even budget laptops coming with dual-core CPU's that simulate Hyper-Threading. Of course, nobody expects Windows Vista or Windows 7 to run on netbooks or tablet hardware, though Windows 8 is a decent attempt.

Saturday, September 17, 2011 5:17 PM
  • To answer to your points 1 to 3:

1. Built-in programs

• Everything is there. Click on Download Live Essential in the start menu or get in Windows Update, or get it here: http://explore.live.com/windows-live-essentials
      This package comes with: PhotoGallery, which you can edit pictures. Live Mail, for e-mail. Live Mesh, to sync files over computer via cloud, or network (it auto-detects and picks the smartest way to sync files). Live Messager, which is MSN IM, Move Maker, to make movies. Writer, to edit your blog site, and more.

• You can extend PhotoGallery and Windows 7 thumbnail preview, with Windows Camera Pack. http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=26829
      It support a long variety of RAW picture format from cameras.

• The advantage of this, is that Microsoft updates and make it better Live Essential software pack. While Vista application don't get updated until the next Windows, if your lucky.

2. Windows Media Player

• The problem with windows media player 11 and earlier, was that it was too bulky, and too forever to start when you want to watch a video. By having this dual mode (lite player, and full mode), you can quickly video video and music, and not have to wait for the player to load. This made a lot of people stop switch media player to something else like Media Player Classic (a look a like solution to Win95 media player with added option, not made by Microsoft, or have any relation with Microsoft)
      If you are managing your library, then you are not looking at your video... so what's the point in having it on the side.. you are not seeing it. So I don't see the point in this.. but yes you are right it's a feature removed.

3. Screen Savers

• CRT monitors are no longer produced, and VGA is slowly disappearing from systems. LCD's don't need screen saver. Turning off the LCD screen is very beneficial compared to putting a screen saver, as not only you prevent burn in, but you don't use the CFL lamp, and as it's in stand by mode, it consume virtually no power. High-grade CFL back light lamps for LCD are found in high-end LCD monitor as they produce a FAR better white than white LED's. Also the more the monitor is turned on, the more it wears out, and more you need to get out your color calibrator and recalibrate your screen to compensate for that, if your the type of person who needs pin-point color accuracy.. but even if you don't, nor have a color calibrator, but do enjoy colors, like myself, after 1-2 years, of having the LCD turned on all this time, colors aren't nice as they were. Well unless you use a TN panel LCD.. in which case everything is washed out or over saturated, in which case it doesn't mater. Anyway, my point is simple, LCD's don't need screen savers. It's a waist of money in invent in making new ones.

Saturday, September 17, 2011 8:55 PM
  • 1. Yes, I know very well about Windows Live Essentials. I downloaded it myself the first time I installed Windows 7 on my new machine. However, it isn't as good as what was included in Windows Vista, and I still see the entire download experience as a pointless extra step. Plus, what if I was using dial-up or had a slow broadband connection? Who wants that kind of download time?

2. If Windows Media Player was bulky, I must not have noticed it, and I was running Vista on a pretty cheap computer. When I mention "managing current playlists," I am not talking about managing the library, which was a separate tab. I was talking about the display of the current playlist beside the "Now Playing" section of the player. Plus, I liked having the ability to control the player in ways that are completely gone from Windows 7 (where are the View---> Enhancments options?). Yes, some of them still exist in a partial form, but they are no substitute for the full Media Player 11.

3. I know LCD's don't need screen savers, but I like to have some kind of screen saver to display between when I stop using the computer and when it goes into standby.

Saturday, September 17, 2011 9:02 PM
  • Well...

Everyone knows that for decades Microsoft followed a policy of "get it working then move on" without optimizing.  Just look at how much performance games provide to see how incredibly quick the hardware really is, then you'll realize why people want more performance in newer software.

Microsoft finally did do some optimization with Windows 7, which is why it runs better than Vista.  And just look how the market responded.

-Noel

Thursday, September 22, 2011 9:37 PM
  • True, but along with these performance improvements came many problems that Vista didn't have. What were they thinking with Windows Media Player 12? Despite what Google thinks, less is not more, and Google Chrome has never been good enough for me. Was Microsoft trying to copy them with Media Player 12? Windows 7's Device Stage is full of problems, and printer management can still be an annoyance, moreso than managing printers in Windows Vista. Microsoft needs to develop a hybrid interface for Windows 8. As for Windows Explorer, my complaints have been fixed in Windows 8. Microsoft is not repeating the developer support mistake they made with Windows Vista in terms of Metro app development, but they haven't updated the desktop enough in this latest release, and Metro without touchscreens, which are rare on PC's and not likely to become common soon, is a bad idea, in my opinion.

Friday, September 23, 2011 1:22 AM
  • I see. This printer management still isn't quite as good as Vista's implementation, because it doesn't display each printer from the same device as a separate icon until you edit the registry. Why should I have to edit the registry to make Windows 7 work as well as Windows Vista? Without the registry edit, I still can't find the "delete printer" button for ghost printers like "Canon PIXMA MX330 Series (Copy 1)." Actually, I managed to get the Printers view to display using the same technique as enabling the Master Control Panel, but an enhanced Printers view displayed in this format should have existed right from the beginning. This Printers view seems strangely feature-thin.
    Monday, September 26, 2011 8:55 PM
  • 1. I like the idea of auto-running Windows Live Essentials setup during OOBE.

Later ... and after the Windows reimage option is used, OOBE should auto-install whatever WLE programs were detected in Programs and Features, just prior to the reimage - then display the setup interface for the user to indicate what is already installed, and what can be installed (or removed?). The WLE installer is the web version, so latest program versions are always installed (assuming internet).

Perhaps WLE web installer during OOBE or Audit mode could become an unattended component option?

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 1:13 AM
  • For now, I can't edit my original post (using a different account), so I'll say something else in this post.

7. Windows Sidebar and Gadgets

The version of Desktop Gadgets in Windows 7 has a few problems. Without a sidebar, gadgets can only be organized in various spots around the screen, with no special organizer or way of handling things like spacing or resolution changes. As a result, every time my computer's screen resolution changes, gadgets get stacked on top of each other and I have to move them back to where they were before. Windows Vista did not have this problem. Also, Windows Sidebar had an effective way of managing gadget space. It spaced the gadgets evenly in ways that made sense. In Windows 7, gadgets can be put in so many different places that it quickly becomes confusing and annoying to try to set up a row of gadgets along the side.

I know that the gadget feature itself is being removed from Windows 8, but hopefully, this feature will continue in the form of Aero-style Live Tiles for the desktop. If the notification service can work with Metro-style apps, there's no reason why it can't work outside the Metro environment, too.

Saturday, November 12, 2011 8:46 PM
  • Microsoft has decided not to host the gadgets on their website. The gadget platform itself is not going to be removed from Windows 8 AFAIK.

Sunday, November 13, 2011 1:52 AM
  • Vista was the 1st Microsoft OS that I've used in the last decade where I wasn't wishing I was back on my mac, I disliked XP immensely and I have to admit I wasn't looking forward to the new laptop with this 'dog slow' OS Vista on it, my first impressions were as bad as the word on the streets said it would be... then I did what I do with all my machines and maxed out the ram (Why oh why do corporate PC's always arrive with minimal ram?) and it was a totally different experience. Vista likes ram and lots of it, give it what it wants and it'll play nice.

I'll not respond to the points 1-6 individually as it was a work machine with a works ' build' so all the cr@p you get on your average PC were gone and media players are banned, screen savers are tied down to the corporate one etc. I never had problems with drivers because I wasn't allowed to plug anything into the damn thing.

I still prefer Windows7 over Vista, I've never missed the things you mention and W7 seems a lot faster (ok, a bit faster) and aero seemed to have been toned down a bit. My latest work laptop has W7 (company build again) and all it's missing is an SSD drive (I have one ready to go, just need to spare time to clone & replace the stock drive).

I never understood the whole anti-trust thing as Apple seemed to get away with it (iTunes pre-installed, Safari pre-installed, give away copy of iLife pre-installed)?

Acer W500 tablet & dock, New 'works' Lenovo laptop Too much apple stuff. Remember: A Developer Preview is just that, a preview for developers - not everything will work 'just right' on day 1.
    Sunday, November 13, 2011 2:06 AM
  • I never liked the way they "toned down" Aero. It is my favorite Windows UI.

As for how much faster Windows 7 is, I can't really be sure of that, since I never ran Windows Vista and Windows 7 on the same PC. I had an Inspiron with Windows Vista, but then I built a new (and much faster) PC that I bought Windows 7 for.

Even Windows 8 seemed slow on my old Vista PC.

Sunday, November 13, 2011 3:01 AM
  • Agreed.  I sought out tweaks to "tone it back up" a bit myself (e.g., more transparency, etc.).  :)

I hate that a certain amount of "fashion" seems to drive UI design.  Apparently nowadays flat, non-beveled, non-transparent things on a forest green background are now "in".  Visual styles are on the way "out".

Fashion is a close analog of stupidity in my book, because all it seems to do is detract from real things, like making software that actually works.  There are SO many ways the "Emperor's new clothes" story seems to apply to Windows 8...

-Noel

• Edited by Noel Carboni Sunday, November 13, 2011 8:38 PM How is it I can NEVER find all the typos before hitting Submit?
    Sunday, November 13, 2011 8:37 PM
  • The Aero-style design was a huge incentive to upgrade to Windows Vista. The Windows 7 version somehow seems... not quite right. I do not like the Metro-style design, which is more two-dimensional than Windows 3.0. In most cases, it doesn't even attempt to simulate depth - it just uses flat colors and designs that do not look separate enough from the background.
    Sunday, November 13, 2011 9:23 PM
  • On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 14:00:17 +0000, mt325000 wrote:

Windows Movie Maker and Photo Gallery still haven't returned

Since these are part of Windows Live Essentials now, they won't.

Paul Adare
    Bubble memory:  A derogatory term, usually referring to a person's
    intelligence. See also "vacuum tube."

Iguess that you all know that  people have different likes , some likes Xp some Likes VISTA and so one.

I like WIN 7 so far the reason is that it has not so many Things build in from start , this is a advantage when you installe it on a new or old pc / labtop . I have been installing Windows versions from win 3,11 to win 7 (now win 8 trial on my ovn) for famelie and freinds and their freinds . so regarding compability Windows ME and Win 7 takes a first place in mylittle coner of the world. So i wont wish for at system to have to many applications from start , it`s better to just install the applications you need , that gives better preformance for your pc , so I think that the best program you can run is the program that gives you what you need no more no less ! Kindely regards Allan

Thursday, November 17, 2011 7:45 PM
  • Windows ME? Compatible? I have had more trouble with Windows ME compatibilty than any other Windows OS.

• Edited by WindowsVista567 Friday, January 27, 2012 2:33 AM Corrected typo
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 8:16 PM