none
SSRS Project in Visual Studio 2010

Question

• I'm trying to create a new SQL Server 2008 Reporting Project in Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate. However there is 1 problem. I cannot find the template for the rptproj project type.

Can someone let me know how or what I need to install in order to get the project template in VS 2010?

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 8:27 PM

Answers

• The recent release of Denali CTP3 includes an update for BIDS that fixes this issue (see Jason's post from 8/1/2011):

1)      Upgrade to Visual Studio 2010 SP1: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=23691

2)      Download the Denali (new version of SQL Server), CTP 3 release and install only the Business Intelligence Development Studio part: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=26723

• Marked as answer by theIceBandit Thursday, September 15, 2011 7:30 PM
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 4:53 PM
  • SQL Server 2008 Reporting Project is installed with SQL Server 2008 setup program. However SQL Server 2008 (R2) setup programs install SQL Server 2008 Reporting Project to Visual Studio 2008 instead of Visual Studio 2010. In Visual Studio 2010, it currently only supports developing local reports (.rdlc) in a C#/VB.NET project etc.

To develop a SSRS 2008 project, please use Visual Studio 2008.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help
    • Marked as answer by theIceBandit Thursday, July 22, 2010 5:02 PM
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 7:51 AM
  • To further clarify, the reporting project type, along with all business intelligence projects, are not native to Visual Studio, but are part of the Business Intelligence Development Studio (BIDS), which is a VS add-on installed by the SQL Server installer - if you choose to install it during SQL Server setup. You use it to create reports for publishing to a Reporting Services report server or to SharePoint.

BIDS for the latest version (SQL Server 2008 R2) still uses VS 2008, and is not compatible with VS 2010. Besides, even if you already have VS 2008, you still won't have those project templates unless you install BIDS from the SQL Server installer.

Like Charles said, VS 2010 natively supports developing local reports (reports hosted in your .NET application and not on a report server or SharePoint), and displaying it using the Microsoft ReportViewer control.

Cephas Lin This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 3:45 PM

All replies

• SQL Server 2008 Reporting Project is installed with SQL Server 2008 setup program. However SQL Server 2008 (R2) setup programs install SQL Server 2008 Reporting Project to Visual Studio 2008 instead of Visual Studio 2010. In Visual Studio 2010, it currently only supports developing local reports (.rdlc) in a C#/VB.NET project etc.

To develop a SSRS 2008 project, please use Visual Studio 2008.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 7:51 AM
  • To further clarify, the reporting project type, along with all business intelligence projects, are not native to Visual Studio, but are part of the Business Intelligence Development Studio (BIDS), which is a VS add-on installed by the SQL Server installer - if you choose to install it during SQL Server setup. You use it to create reports for publishing to a Reporting Services report server or to SharePoint.

BIDS for the latest version (SQL Server 2008 R2) still uses VS 2008, and is not compatible with VS 2010. Besides, even if you already have VS 2008, you still won't have those project templates unless you install BIDS from the SQL Server installer.

Like Charles said, VS 2010 natively supports developing local reports (reports hosted in your .NET application and not on a report server or SharePoint), and displaying it using the Microsoft ReportViewer control.

Thursday, July 22, 2010 3:45 PM

This was a bad solution to this issue, imho.  Why not just add the BIDS project types to visual studio 2010?  The VS 2010 has many good "integrated" features for Team Server this is not as easy accomplished in VS 2008, where visual source safe was the prefered source control.
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 8:14 PM
  • Furthermore, when I open an SSRS project in VS2010, the program WELCOMES me to upgrade the project from '08 to '10.  This is definitely a gotcha.

My recommendation to Mr. Barclay Hill would be to disallow BIDS projects to be opened in VS2010 at all if this is the intended functionality.

Tim Carper
    Thursday, September 02, 2010 5:13 PM
  • I think it is a shame that all MS reps, spokespersons, etc. act as if this is no big deal. As a member of a project team that has been left in the dirt with two successive upgrades now (from VS 2005 to VS 2008, then from VS 2008 to 2010), this is getting pretty tiresome.

As the one in charge of the Reporting Services side of our app, with both upgrades I have had to work in 2 different versions of visual studio (one for the front end app and one for the SSRS on the back end) Add to that the headaches associated with having committed to using report models in previous versions and the latest Report Builder not knowing what a data model is...

I could go on, but the main point is that everything I read on the web sends me the same message (reminds me of the old Saturday Night Live bit with Lily Tomlin doing the telephone lady) "We're Microsoft! We don't care... We don't HAVE to!"

• Proposed as answer by Hannover Fist Monday, December 03, 2012 5:54 PM
    Friday, October 29, 2010 7:38 PM
  • I agree.  I wish they would at least tell you that almost nothing works in VS2010 and SSRS so that you could make educated decisions.  The marketing machine is clearly a year ahead of their development teams.

Man I wish there was an alternative.  I have been looking at Mono but reporting is worse there.  Crystal sucks so as you said, "We're Microsoft! We don't care... We don't HAVE to!"

JD

Thanks JD LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/johndsanders
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 12:58 AM
  • I would like to add to the above. In my opinion  this is quite disappointing. It seems natural that reporting model projects belong within VS. Why have a separate BIDS, and then make BIDS R2 incompatible with VS2010? Why not give users the option to add in the reporting templates to VS2010. Furthermore, I'm sure there could have been improvements to the current functionality, but obviously these templates not used enough?? 

A huge shame really, as we will now have to swap between VS 2008 and VS 2010 when working. Microsoft, please look into the lack of integration for reporting!

Friday, February 04, 2011 11:30 AM

• I would like to add to the above. In my opinion  this is quite disappointing. It seems natural that reporting model projects belong within VS. Why have a separate BIDS, and then make BIDS R2 incompatible with VS2010? Why not give users the option to add in the reporting templates to VS2010. Furthermore, I'm sure there could have been improvements to the current functionality, but obviously these templates not used enough?? 

A huge shame really, as we will now have to swap between VS 2008 and VS 2010 when working. Microsoft, please look into the lack of integration for reporting!

Just as an add, I have looked at the local reports c# application in VS2010, as suggested by Charles, and it may suffice for when your applications need basic embedded reports. You may not be be able to build more sophisticated report models as per BIDS2008 R2, but simpler reports will work just fine.
    Friday, February 04, 2011 11:48 AM
  • Is there any update from Microsoft on this as of yet?  

I'm in a state of disbelief that this issue has been open since July of last year, and still there are no means of employing TFS for SSRS reports from within VS 2010.

It is particularly painful for our group since we just built the bullet and migrated from SVN to TFS.  

Apparently we would have been better served to have remained on SVN for source control.

Monday, February 28, 2011 2:57 PM
  • Installed CTP1 for Denali and guess what it installs to create SSRS reports?  VS2008,  Maybe it will change when the SSRS 2011 (Project crescent) is released to CTP.
    Friday, March 04, 2011 3:53 AM
  • I totally did NOT mean to propose this an an answer!! I see no way to reverse my errant mouse click.
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 8:46 PM
  • Hello, is anyone home?! Is anyone listening?

The middle of May 2011 and still now fix. How sad? How hubris?

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 6:31 PM
  • This is very frustrating. Are we gonna be able to create an SSRS project in VS 2010 anytime soon?

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 11:28 AM
  • Microsoft has abandoned it developer community.  From an incomplete buggy dev environment (VS2010) to the fact that they don't even respond to our issues any more the writing is on the wall.

I have moved to Crystal reports and it is working fine from within VS.  Create the XSD, Create the Report, Fill a table and send it to the report.  All done.  Even gets rid of that pesky login failure bug.

Microsoft is a company on the slide I just wish I could find another development language that MS didn't control.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 2:12 PM
  • Does this mean that Microsoft is not committed to Reporting Services? Is it planning to scrap Reporting Services? I can't believe that BIDS is not compatible with VS2010, their flagship development product. I am at the stage of steering our company away from Crystal to SSRS and this kind of news which investigating this move makes me nervous about committing to this technology. Can anyone give me a definitive answer as to Microsofts committment to SSRS?
    • Proposed as answer by mrcsimon Thursday, June 13, 2013 2:05 PM
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 10:11 AM
  • Hi Suroma,

Microsoft is indeed committed to SSRS, as shown in the upcoming Project Crescent, a SharePoint and Silverlight-based report design and viewing experience. We understand that the current SSRS+VS integration is a huge pain point for customers and we are doing our best to remove this disparity in the future.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 3:08 PM
  • Same MS bull while we are out here trying to make a living with their "headless hammer" all we get are platitudes.
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 3:24 PM
  • Microsoft is a company on the slide I just wish I could find another development language that MS didn't control.

Let's see: Java, Ruby, Python, Scala, C, C++, Haskell, Clojure, Lisp, JavaScript, Erlang...  I'm sure there are more...

The real problem is that it is only we, the development community, that's complaining.  We are not Microsoft's customers, our employers and clients are.  They are the ones that need to champion issues like this in order for Microsoft to take notice.  As someone above mentioned, they don't have to care since we don't make the decisions. They are much more likely to care once they start losing customers.

Wednesday, June 01, 2011 4:17 PM
  • When someone has VS 2010, saying to use VS 2008 is not always an option.  The answer really is....when, what date, will VS 2010 have the functionality to create SSRS reports?  That is really what everyone on this thread is needing to know.

Linda Chapman | SharePoint Consultant | My Blog: http://LindaChapman.BlogSpot.com | http://www.linkedin.com/in/LindaChapman
    • Proposed as answer by jfinnan Wednesday, July 20, 2011 3:34 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by jfinnan Wednesday, July 20, 2011 3:34 PM
    Sunday, July 03, 2011 1:35 AM
  • I was experiencing the same problem.  I recently installed just the BIDS from the Denali CTP3 install, and it installed the BI projects to VS 2010.  I converted my reporting project to VS 2010 and deployed reports to my existing 2008 R2 SQL server with no issues.

It must be an undocumented fix.

Hope this helps.

Jason

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 3:37 PM
  • So, your answer is that we need to wait for the next tech upgrade?  That's not customer service.  That's sales & marketing.

If you were doing your best to get us a solution, you'd fix the current problem before trying to sell us on the next great thing coming down the pipe.

Monday, August 01, 2011 9:54 PM
  • I am not affiliated with Microsoft.  We had the same problem, and I just found a solution that works for us.  You don't have to purchase the next solution, the BIDS is included with the Denali  CTP3 (free) install.  The BIDS is backwards compatible and works with with VS 2010 and SQL server 2008 R2.

Jason

• Proposed as answer by voutmaster Wednesday, August 31, 2011 4:50 PM
    Tuesday, August 02, 2011 8:14 PM
  • The recent release of Denali CTP3 includes an update for BIDS that fixes this issue (see Jason's post from 8/1/2011):

1)      Upgrade to Visual Studio 2010 SP1: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=23691

2)      Download the Denali (new version of SQL Server), CTP 3 release and install only the Business Intelligence Development Studio part: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=26723

• Marked as answer by theIceBandit Thursday, September 15, 2011 7:30 PM
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 4:53 PM

Thank you very much.

I just converted a 2008 Solution over to 2010 and guess what?  No more reports.  Not only that but VS 2008 will no longer create standard reporting projects either!  Still cannot create rdl files even with 2008 in a new 2008 report project!!!

I must say that this is the biggest bunch of crap I have ever encountered.  Didn't anyone do any testing on this?  Didn't anyone anticipate the PITA factor on this.

C'mon, MS, get your act together!!!

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 3:08 AM
  • I did follow the instruction and I installed the SP1 and also Denali BIDS, but when I go to my visual web developer 2010 express, I can't see the controls to start working with it.

Could someone help me with the instructions how to create a reports under  visual web developer 2010 express and BIDS.

Thanks in advance for the help....!!!

JP

Monday, October 24, 2011 8:51 PM
  • This is most likely an issue because you're running an Express edition of Visual Studio. You'll have to launch BIDS from its shortcut which should be under the 'Microsoft SQL Server 2012' folder in the programs menu. It may be called 'SQL Server Data Tools'.
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 8:27 PM
  • This is the same non answer that we have been getting.  Hey buy this new hammer and when you want to drive a nail just use the old hammer.  Are you kidding me?
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 10:17 PM
  • I installed SQL Server Data Tools on my VS2010 machine and guess what, still no SSRS or SSAS project templates. As much as SQL Server and Visual Studio are great products, the teams who are in charge of integrating these two products do their best in annoying loyal MSFT customers to the max. I don't know what pills they take but they must take some, otherwise this mess is not possible to explain. 

Pls MSFT, we just want to work with your products.

ah one thing i forgot, thanks very much for keeping the tradition of renaming things over and over... this behaviour is so deep in the MSFT DNA :)

Thursday, March 22, 2012 5:21 PM
  • Well this issue is fixed in the latest release of SQL Server 2012. Reporting type project is now available via Visual Studio 2010!
    Thursday, March 22, 2012 5:36 PM
  • And now I have Visual Studio Ultimate 11 Beta including the SQL Server Data Tools, and guess what - still no Reporting Services project type! I realize that this may change with a CTP or RTM version, but given  the MSFT track record, is this really likely?
    Tuesday, March 27, 2012 8:32 AM
  • It is so true

But who cares ?

Piere-Paul Haineault

Wednesday, April 04, 2012 7:11 PM
  • I also have VS 2010 Professional Edition + SP1 installed.

After installing SQL Server 2012 Express with data tools , I can see Microsoft SQL Server Data Tools but there are no templates for a SSRS or SSIS project.

Has somebody an idea ?

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 12:33 PM
  • I have just installed the SQL Server 2012 RTM on a test VM running WS 2008 R2 just to make sure along with a VS 2010 Premium edition with SP1.   I can either click on my SQL Server Data Tools and it automatically starts up my copy of VS 2010 Ultimate. When I create a new project I can see that there are the Business Intelligence templates available in VS.  This does include Reporting Services, Integration Services and Analysis Services. 

The best part is that I then took my installation and just installed the SQL Server Data Tools to my desktop that is running just VS 2010 SP1 Premium.   When I bring up my VS 2010 IDE those BI Templates are now in there.  And they work. 

I haven't tested yet but I do not think it will work on a SQL Server 2005 database but that is my next test. 

Friday, June 01, 2012 9:44 PM
  • I Just install SQL server 2008 then how can i develop ssrs report.

• Proposed as answer by AmolBDeshmukh Monday, September 03, 2012 11:59 AM
    Monday, September 03, 2012 11:57 AM
  • HI,

I am using Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate and Sql Server 2008 R2.

Earlier my client was using Reporting Server and the reports were running fine.

But now the client wants to take the reports out of the server and runs as locally

He wants to have the MySubscription Options using the local reports.

I have written the below code to convert the .rdlc export to PDF directly without using the reportviewer. It is saying some "Local Processing of Report"

Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ReportViewer rv = new Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ReportViewer();
            string r = "C://Users//user//Documents//Visual Studio 2010//WebSites//WebSite2//Report.rdlc";
            sampleDataSetTableAdapters.studentTableAdapter ds = new sampleDataSetTableAdapters.studentTableAdapter();

Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ReportDataSource rptsource1 = new Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ReportDataSource();
            rptsource1.Name = "dataset1";
            rv.LocalReport.ReportEmbeddedResource = "report.rdlc";

rv.LocalReport.DataSources.Clear();
            rv.LocalReport.ReportPath = r.ToString();
            rv.LocalReport.DataSources.Add(rptsource1);
            Warning[] warnings;
            string[] streamids;
            string mimetype, encoding, extension;
            Byte[] bytes;
            string folderlocation;
            folderlocation = "C:\\";
            string filepath = folderlocation + "\\report.pdf";
            File.Delete(filepath);
            bytes = rv.LocalReport.Render("PDF", null, out mimetype, out encoding, out extension, out streamids, out warnings);
            FileStream fs = new FileStream(folderlocation + "\\report.pdf", FileMode.Create);
            fs.Write(bytes, 0, bytes.Length);
            fs.Close();
            Response.Redirect("C:\\Invoices_Raised_Requested_Download_Finance.pdf");

---------------------------------------------

{"An error occurred during local report processing."} This is actual Error.

Can you please help me out in this.

Thanks

Madhukar Sreeramoju

Saturday, September 08, 2012 2:29 PM
  • Mr. Madhukar Sreeramoju,

might you have some working example of custom code for SSRS 2008 that can export SSRS report to .PDF but, split into chunks based on parameter value in some of the colons and, further on, exported to separate folders named after that parameter?

Could you please provide code snippet with basic explanation?

Thanks!

Friday, February 22, 2013 11:16 PM