The compiler failed with error code 128

Question

• Hi,

We have huge problem with one of our customer's servers. Occasionally, and most of the times when they restart the server, our ASP.NET 2.0 web service returns the following error when browsing the asmx file:

Compilation Error

Description: An error occurred during the compilation of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific error details and modify your source code appropriately.

Compiler Error Message: The compiler failed with error code 128.

We have googled it lot's of times but every time someone has the same problem it's on the 1.1 framework and that doesn't seem to cover our problem. The web service is running on IIS6 on a Windows 2003 server.

Can anyone please help us?

Thanks in advance!
    Friday, December 01, 2006 9:21 AM

Answers

All replies

• is this helpful?  it sounds like a similar environment to yours.

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/ASPNETCompilerError128AndMicrosoftSupport.aspx

thanks

alex

Friday, December 01, 2006 9:15 PM
  • Have you ever got this problem solved ?
    Monday, April 16, 2007 2:24 PM
  • I just got this problem. I was able to fix it by setting the Identity for my Application Pool to use the Local System account instead of Network Service.

Specifically...right-click on whichever application pool is hosting your IIS directory/site and click properties. Go to the Identity tab and select Local System from the "Predefined" drop-down list.

My guess is that error code 128 is a permissions issue and the Network Service account does not have the permissions needed to access something the compiler is using.

Tuesday, March 04, 2008 3:30 AM