none
Pie Chart Problems

Question

• Hello all. I am trying to create a pie chart that displays 3 categories from a task list: Complete, In Progress, and Not Started. Currently my chart looks like a 5 part pie chart, 3 seperate parts for In Progress, 1 part for Complete, and 1 part for Not Started (I have 5 tasks in this example)

This is close to what I want, but I want all the In Progress to be merged into one category, all the Complete and Not Started to each be their own category (If there were more than one, in this exaple there aren't) So there are only 3 parts, proportional to what is in my list. Currently my X axis is based on a calculated column from a task list saying what the status is (Complete, In Progress, Not Started)

And my Y Axis is based on one of the only 4 choices I have, ID (choices are ID, Modified by, Created By, and Priority.)

Can anyone tell me how to fix my graph?

• Edited by Megageek 91 Wednesday, December 18, 2013 5:53 PM
    Wednesday, December 18, 2013 5:31 PM

Answers

• SharePoint Chart Web Part won't rollup the answers and tabulate a summation based on a similar choice in category for status (e.g. completed). One workaround is to create a lookup column to a list that has your options. Then in the list with that lookup, create a lookup to the lookup (confusing, I know). That list with the lookup to the lookup will then create the summation and you can use that list for the chart part.

Other option would be to do Excel Services. This requires enterprise version of SharePoint, but will work really well.

Andy Wessendorf SharePoint Developer II | Rackspace andy.wessendorf@rackspace.com

• Marked as answer by Megageek 91 Thursday, December 19, 2013 4:30 PM
    Wednesday, December 18, 2013 6:23 PM
  • Hi Megageek,

There is an alternate way to achieve this, check this link for more details

https://www.nothingbutsharepoint.com/sites/eusp/pages/sharepoint-2010-pie-chart-with-counts.aspx

Raghavendra Shanbhag | Blog: www.SharePointColumn.com
    Please click "Propose As Answer " if a post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if a post has been useful to you.
    Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 6:44 PM

All replies

• SharePoint Chart Web Part won't rollup the answers and tabulate a summation based on a similar choice in category for status (e.g. completed). One workaround is to create a lookup column to a list that has your options. Then in the list with that lookup, create a lookup to the lookup (confusing, I know). That list with the lookup to the lookup will then create the summation and you can use that list for the chart part.

Other option would be to do Excel Services. This requires enterprise version of SharePoint, but will work really well.

Andy Wessendorf SharePoint Developer II | Rackspace andy.wessendorf@rackspace.com

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 6:23 PM
  • To be totally unhelpful; the first problem is that you're using pie charts. Whilst they may have a narrow purpose in some places they have fallen deeply out of favour in many circles.
    Wednesday, December 18, 2013 6:28 PM
  • Hi Megageek,

There is an alternate way to achieve this, check this link for more details

https://www.nothingbutsharepoint.com/sites/eusp/pages/sharepoint-2010-pie-chart-with-counts.aspx

Please click "Propose As Answer " if a post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if a post has been useful to you.

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 6:44 PM
  • it says "After creating this column you will need to migrate your current Status column data to this column if you already have a list, if not create a few test items and set their status using this column."

How exactly do I go about migrating the data in my current Status column to my new statuslookup column? And will the data in the StatusLookup column update everytime that the data from my current status column changes?

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 7:09 PM
  • if you want to automate the process, you can write a event receiver on the task list which will update the StatusLookup column based on the percentage complete or any other column based on requirement. You can remove/hide the status lookup column. Here is the link below which explains how to create event receiver on task list

http://www.binarywave.com/blogs/eshupps/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=117

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 7:16 PM
  • Alright, thanks for the help. It's a little upsetting that SharePoint doesn't have an easier way to do this. It's so easy in Excel. Anyways, this is a little complicated to have to do 10 separate charts off of, so I think I'll talk to my manager about looking for a different way to display the data. Thanks for all the help everyone!
    Thursday, December 19, 2013 3:14 PM