none
Unable to connect to SQL Server 2008 Express from NT4 client

Question

• I have a client running a manufacturing system which uses a very old controller running NT4.

The controller connects to a MSSQL database and also uses flatfile scripts.  Previously it was successfully connected to MSSQL Server 2008 R2 Express running on a Server 2003 platform.

The old server must be retired, and we deployed a new Server 2008 R2 x64 platform, which has the same MSSQL Server 2008 R2 Express instance on it.  Other systems can successfully connect to the database on the new server.  The NT 4 box can see the server name and instance name via SQL Browser, but attempts to connect to the database using a UDL connection yield the following error:

[DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (SECDoClientHandshake()).]SSL Security error.

The NT 4 box can still connect to the old server 2003 and its MSSQL2008 Express instance successfully.

I upgraded the Data Access Components on the NT4 box to MDAC 2.8 SP1 in hope that the updated DBNETLIB.dll would solve the issue.  MDAC 2.8 SP1 appears to be the latest possible version for NT4.  I'm well aware that NT4 is long EOL for support purposes, but replacing the controller on this piece of equipment is a very expensive proposition.  If there is any way we can milk the old box for a few more months the owner would like to do so.

The software on the controller uses a UDL connection and so I am using a UDL file for testing - as I said, I get a successful connection to the old database on the Server 2003 box.

I'd be grateful for any insight.

Monday, November 18, 2013 4:42 PM

All replies