none
Page navigation is getting slower in metro app

Question

• Hi,

Between OnNavigatedTo and Loaded, app starts caching which is slowing down my app, during page navigation. If I set NavigationCacheMode to Enabled or Required I am facing other problems like app bar buttons are not working. Kindly help me in this issue

Thanks,

Suhas

Wednesday, August 06, 2014 5:38 AM

Answers

• You mean too much content slow down your app? If you simply navigate from one page to another one should not cause any slow. But I'm interested how big is your data? Could you test with set NavigationCacheMode of the page as Disable?

I did some test on my side, I insert pretty much data into the GridView and then I use virtualization (Using virtualization with a list or grid),  the app will still works fine. Try it, if the problem still there I would like ask for a demo.

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Thursday, August 07, 2014 7:50 AM

All replies

• Hi Suhas,

Could you upload some reproducible demo for us to test?

Normally the NavigationCacheMode will cache the page state, and if you set something like disable the app bar buttons before you navigate to another page, you definitely will get them not working.

However I don't know exactly what you have done with your code and if you can share us, I would like to debug for you.

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Wednesday, August 06, 2014 6:21 AM
  • Hi Jamles,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately code base is very huge and I am not sure whether I can post here :( However I can explain the things here. I have 2 pages HomePage and ListPage which are derived from base class LayoutAwarePage. HomePage consists of items in Gridview, ListView and so on. ListPage has GridView items. I have not overriden OnNavigatedTo in HomePage. So when there are lot of contents in HomePage, so while navigating back from ListPage to HomePage, it takes lot of time before Loaded is called probably because all of the contents in HomePage starts caching. Please let me know if this info is enough. IF not, probably I can upload some demo.

Thanks again,

Suhas

Wednesday, August 06, 2014 6:44 AM
  • You mean too much content slow down your app? If you simply navigate from one page to another one should not cause any slow. But I'm interested how big is your data? Could you test with set NavigationCacheMode of the page as Disable?

I did some test on my side, I insert pretty much data into the GridView and then I use virtualization (Using virtualization with a list or grid),  the app will still works fine. Try it, if the problem still there I would like ask for a demo.

--James

Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Thursday, August 07, 2014 7:50 AM