It took me a long time before I was able to force the Excel-OML solver to write a Decision table onto a sheet.
I had used the following binding:
sold[period,product] <== results!$A:$C
The range included headers that were mapped as needed.
The whole sheet was empty, except for the header cells A1:C1.
This produced the following error message in the modeling pane log tab:
The column named [period] is missing from the data. Please check the Range setting on [sold].
I tried another binding which produced the same error message:
sold[period,product] <== results!$A$1:$C$52
I tried several alternative, like not including the header, which resulted in other error messages, like this one:
(period) is not a valid Rational.
I could not make sense of these error messages, and was about to give up.
By chance, I wrote something in a cell (A6) and running the solver gave a solution without error messages and the decisions were partly written in the expected range (up to line 6).
I then wrote something again in cell A1000, and I got all the decisions writen to the sheet (there were 294).
In a further test, I erased everything on the sheet except for the header line.
I then wrote something in cell AB11.
Running the solver, I then got the decisions written up to line 11.
A last test finally convinced me that the Worksheet.UsedRange is the determining factor in this behaviour.
A temporary turn-around is then obvious: make it such that the Worksheet.UsedRange is large enough!
This looks very much like a small bug where the Worksheet.UsedRange plays an unexpected role.
The error messages were not very helpful.
Thanks for providing us all these nice tools!
Edited byLalbatrosFriday, October 28, 2011 7:54 AM