none
Querying related entities with inheritance

Question

• Given the following Entity Framework model with inheritance (where A and B are subtypes of Base, C has a 1-many association
    with A and D has a 1-many association with B):

Base
        ^  ^
       /   \
    C - A   B - D

What is the simplest and most efficient LINQ query to load all A's and B's with their corresponding C's and D's?
    Since I cannot write something like Bases.Include("A.C").Include("B.D"), I wonder what the best options are.
    Thursday, June 09, 2011 7:12 AM

Answers

• Given the following Entity Framework model with inheritance (where A and B are subtypes of Base, C has a 1-many association

Base

^ ^

/  \

C - A  B - D

What is the simplest and most efficient LINQ query to load all A's and B's with their corresponding C's and D's?
    Since I cannot write something like Bases.Include("A.C").Include("B.D"), I wonder what the best options are.

Hello,

I suggest you can check the following page like yours need. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3356541/entity-framework-linq-query-include-multiple-children-entities

Thanks,

Esters,

Just a newbie for everything.
    Monday, June 13, 2011 8:20 AM

All replies

Base

^ ^

/  \

C - A  B - D

Hello,

I suggest you can check the following page like yours need. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3356541/entity-framework-linq-query-include-multiple-children-entities

Thanks,

Esters,

Just a newbie for everything.
    Monday, June 13, 2011 8:20 AM
  • I've posted the article "Improving Entity Framework Query Performance Using Graph-Based Querying" to www.codeplex.com

This article presents a new way of expressing queries that span multiple tables in the form of declarative graph shapes. This approach, which is called Graph-based querying (or GBQ for short) can deal perfectly with the inheritance issue that is the topic of this thread. 

Moreover, the article contains a thorough performance comparison of this new approach with EF queries. This analysis shows that GBQ quickly outperforms EF queries.

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 6:55 AM