none
Getting dpc watchdog violation when Computer wakes from sleep mode. windows 8 Developer

Question

• I wasn't sure if anyone else was having this problem. when I open my laptop I have a blue screen with a :( face stating that computer needs to restart and says something like. Watchdog error computer needs to restart. I'm new to all this so if anyone could explain to me what this means and how I can go about fixing it.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 10:55 AM

All replies

• hey lobato, i have the same problem. only it was while I just stated my laptop not from sleep mode. now its all fine. i hope :p
    Friday, September 16, 2011 8:43 AM
  • I wasn't sure if anyone else was having this problem. when I open my laptop I have a blue screen with a :( face stating that computer needs to restart and says something like. Watchdog error computer needs to restart. I'm new to all this so if anyone could explain to me what this means and how I can go about fixing it.
    I have this problem as well. It happened 3-4 times already. I cannot figure out pattern of occurrence though. Seems like it happens randomly. Also it occurs not only when it wakes up from sleep but even during regular boot.
    • Edited by zyx100 Saturday, September 17, 2011 1:20 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Webby414 Tuesday, September 20, 2011 12:55 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Webby414 Tuesday, September 20, 2011 12:55 PM
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 1:18 PM
  • This just happened to me, while coming out of sleep.

I found this blog post that may help: http://www.itknowledge24.com/blog/windows-8/windows-8-developer-preview-bsod-dpc-watchdog-violation/

The third link on the Additional Information section is the DPC Latency Checker.

Basically, it runs a series of tests that show red bars when there's some driver with problems. I guess that it's possible to disable driver by driver on the Device Manager until it gets only green bars. I tried disabling most network drivers, but could not identify the problem yet. Maybe someone of you can find your "bad" driver with it. Good luck!

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 7:13 PM
  • I had the problem too. My repro steps:-

Running Disk Repair  tool on a *probably* faulty HDD.

Noga
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 7:32 PM
  • I keep getting DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION randomly as well. BSOD with Smiley Face. I dont know the rhyme or reason. It happens to me randomly about every 5-8 hours or so. I'm so paranoid, I'm saving my documents every time I make a change. I've installed all the windows updates and have kept track of my CPU temps as well as re-seated my RAM. I'm not sure what this can be. Im just guessing maybe some faulty drivers for my older components..

Running Gigabyte G31 MB, Intel Q6600, 4GB GSKILL, EVGA 8800GT, and 2 WD HD, none of them show any issue that I am aware of.

Friday, September 30, 2011 1:54 AM
  • For me, this BSOD happens when playing Flash video, not always, but sometimes. This page seems especially bad: http://di.dk/DI/industrienshus/Pages/sevideoommoderniseringen.aspx.
    Friday, October 28, 2011 3:50 PM
  • Hello, I'm running W8 on a ASUS EEESLATE 121 and get the same error, especially when I go into hibernation mode and wake up again. But also very randomly. I have tried to get the faulty driver, but no luck until now. All W7 drivers, I installed until now, seem to be ok - just bluetooth driver is not working propberly. I had the same before with the developer preview on 64 bit. Now I run 32bit for testing purposes. Anytime I "await" my bluescreen and try to find the problem - now I will also go and deactivate any service and any device I don't need and try to get the faulty driver.

Friday, March 02, 2012 8:03 AM
  • Hello, as I changed back from my new 120GB OCZ mSATA to my original 64 GB mSATA from Sandisk, the problems disappeared at all!

I tested a lot and its really working without any problems right now. How can this be?

Monday, March 05, 2012 11:53 AM
  • I just installed the Lexmark X1180 Driver and every since i've had the BSOD - it only happens when there's a lot of Lexmark Windows Open
    Tuesday, March 27, 2012 4:58 PM
  • This forum is for improving the reading experience of this web site, not for Microsoft software. 

Windows 8 forums are on answers.microsoft.com.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP

Sunday, April 22, 2012 11:33 PM
  • I'm not sure what to do as I'm having the same dpc watchdog violation. Can't find any solutions Please post if you find any solutions
    Sunday, November 10, 2013 12:14 AM
  • i have same problem yesterday after i installed an antivirus program. so what i did is i boot my computer on the SAFE MODE and uninstall the antivirus and it was successful. BACK TO NORMAL>>>>>>>

so friend try to uninstall any program you have just installed before the problem occurs. may be it will help you>>>>>>>

Monday, November 11, 2013 4:04 AM