none
SSRS Report Rendering Time is very high

Question

• HI All,

I have a SSRS 2008 R2 Report which works very well in BIDS 2008 and it takes 3 secs to give the results. But from report portal its taking 10-15 secs to load after i click view report button.

The report has 5 parameters (StartDT, EndDT, AppName, JobAction, Group)

Data to AppName comes from a table and total available values are 40.

Data to JobAction have been assigned manually and there are 16 values assigned to that parameter.

Data to Group is through a query and total availbale values to that parameter are 7000.

Now when I click on view report the report  first loads for 3-4 sec and stops and loads again where processing actually starts and takes 8-10 to give the results.

I checked howmuch time it taking for processing, rendering and found below data for multiple execution. You will see Data Retreival is low only 200 ms when I select 10 Groups  and its 2000 ms (only 2 secs) when I select all 6000+ groups . And even rendering time is low. But still i don't understand why it loads first and stops and loads again.

Also I have noticed during initial load you don't see the print refresh icons while its is loading and when it loads again I can see the print ,refresh etc icons while the report is loading.So I am assuming its validating the parameters. If that's is there any way to stop validating the parameters.

total time TimeDataRetrieval  TimeProcessing  TimeRendering  ByteCo

2057 1930 51 76 37387
    201 156 38 7 5944
    355 272 11 72 15366
    2620 1957 336 327 37387

Any inputs will be great.

Raj

• Edited by Raj Phani Friday, January 10, 2014 7:12 PM
    Friday, January 10, 2014 7:11 PM

Answers

• Hi Raj,

Thank you for your post.

After testing the issue in my own environment, I can reproduce it. Just as you said, when we select many values from the drop-down list of a parameter, the report will load two times. And even if I select only one value from the drop-down list, it will also load two times. As per my understanding, the first load is used to extract the all values which may be used from the database, the second load is used to run the report. If you have any concerns about this feature in Reporting Service, I would suggest you submitting a wish at https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/Feedback.

Connect site is a connection point between you and Microsoft, and ultimately the larger community. Your feedback enables Microsoft to make software and services the best that they can be, and you can learn about and contribute to exciting projects.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,
    Katherine Xiong

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Katherine Xiong
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 2:46 AM

All replies

• Hi Raj,

If I understand correctly, the report works well when render it in Business Intelligence Development Studio (BIDS). While when render the report on Report Manager, it needs click 'view report' twice after changing a date parameter. As per my understanding, the first time is used to validate and calculate any parameter dependency, the second is used to run the report. 

Based on my further research, this is a known issue in SQL Server Reporting Services 2008 R2 and you can see it on the link below:
    http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/634456/ssrs-click-view-report-twice-after-change-a-date-parameter

If there are any misunderstanding, please elaborate the issue for further investigation.

Thanks,
    Katherine Xiong

Katherine Xiong

Monday, January 13, 2014 2:00 PM
  • HI Katherine,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes the report works fine in BIDS.

From Report Manager I don't click the view report button twice, I just click it once and it tries to load the report initially for 3-4 secs then stops with blank screen and loads again automatically(here i don't click the view report button) and gives the results in 8-10 secs.

I want to basically understand what is it doing during its initially first 3-4 secs. Is it validating the input parameters?

Regards,

Raj

Monday, January 13, 2014 3:16 PM
  • Hi Raj,

Thank you for your post.

After testing the issue in my own environment, I can reproduce it. Just as you said, when we select many values from the drop-down list of a parameter, the report will load two times. And even if I select only one value from the drop-down list, it will also load two times. As per my understanding, the first load is used to extract the all values which may be used from the database, the second load is used to run the report. If you have any concerns about this feature in Reporting Service, I would suggest you submitting a wish at https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/Feedback.

Connect site is a connection point between you and Microsoft, and ultimately the larger community. Your feedback enables Microsoft to make software and services the best that they can be, and you can learn about and contribute to exciting projects.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,
    Katherine Xiong

Katherine Xiong

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 2:46 AM
  • Thanks Katherine for the update. I will put the concern in the connect site.

Regards,

Raj

Thursday, January 16, 2014 5:50 AM