none
Slow SQL Query on Surface Pro

Question

• I am using a MS Surface Pro with Office 2010 Pro 64bit.  when I run a sql query that returns multiple records the query takes several minutes.  On Windows 7 Pro 64bit running Office 2010 64Bit it only takes a second or two.  I ran a trace on both systems and the trace on the Surface was twice the size of Windows 7 on a desktop.  I suspect the problem is with the 64 bit sql driver on the Surface but I can not find a replacement driver.

The query has a join to beeween 3 tables in the same data base.  Other queries in this application that return multiple rows ( no Joins) work as expected.

Sunday, June 23, 2013 1:52 AM

Answers

• Hi MiataMan,

I think this is normal if the Windows 7 computer has a more powerful CPU, more memory than Surface Pro, please use “STATISTICS TIME” to check the number of milliseconds required to parse, compile, and execute each statement. For more detail information, please refer to the following link:

SET STATISTICS TIME (Transact-SQL)
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190287.aspx

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Allen Li
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, June 24, 2013 2:35 AM
  • Hello,

Since the surface is wireless only, my guess would be if you checked the wait stats it'd show that it was waiting on network IO. My guess is because of the wireless it's going to be slower. If you're waiting for the data to be returned, don't forget it takes time to traverse the network and return all of the results back to the client.

If you wanted a good test, just run a simple "select 1" query from the surface and see if it returns quickly or slowly. Ramp up the amount of data transferred from there. If there is a correlation between the size of the data returned and the "response" time of the query then your culprit is most likely the network. Again this could be found by checking wait stats on the server (clearing them before running the query) and then running the query on a quiesced system.

-Sean

Sean Gallardy | Blog | Twitter

Monday, June 24, 2013 3:07 AM

All replies

• Hi MiataMan,

I think this is normal if the Windows 7 computer has a more powerful CPU, more memory than Surface Pro, please use “STATISTICS TIME” to check the number of milliseconds required to parse, compile, and execute each statement. For more detail information, please refer to the following link:

SET STATISTICS TIME (Transact-SQL)
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190287.aspx

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Allen Li
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, June 24, 2013 2:35 AM
  • Hello,

Since the surface is wireless only, my guess would be if you checked the wait stats it'd show that it was waiting on network IO. My guess is because of the wireless it's going to be slower. If you're waiting for the data to be returned, don't forget it takes time to traverse the network and return all of the results back to the client.

If you wanted a good test, just run a simple "select 1" query from the surface and see if it returns quickly or slowly. Ramp up the amount of data transferred from there. If there is a correlation between the size of the data returned and the "response" time of the query then your culprit is most likely the network. Again this could be found by checking wait stats on the server (clearing them before running the query) and then running the query on a quiesced system.

-Sean

Sean Gallardy | Blog | Twitter

Monday, June 24, 2013 3:07 AM