Windows 8 freezes when the computer is idle

Question

• Hello,

I have installed the windows 8 preview 64 bit on my laptop ,the Installation went smooth,I made a clean installation ,once installed ,I logged in and after about 2 to 3 minutes it completely freeze out, was not able to even use the task manager,had to manually restart the laptop,since then the issue still persist, I will provide you with the laptop specification

1) Intel core 2 duo with clock 2.10 Ghz

2) 4 GB DDR2 RAM

3) 512 MB Nvidia card

I have updated Video drivers,also updated my BIOS ,still facing the Issue,please let me know if there are any settings that I can do to avoid this situation .Thank you

Friday, November 25, 2011 10:38 AM

Answers

• Hey Amolpatil1979,

Try installing the latest version of all available drivers from your computer manufacturer's website. Then restart your computer and test to see if the same problem occurs.

If any of the drivers aren't able to install properly, try using the compatibility troubleshooter to see if it can help the driver to install properly. The compatibility troubleshooter can be opened by:

• Enter the Start screen
    • Move your mouse to the bottom left of the screen to expand the Charms section
    • Select Search
    • Type Compatibility
    • Click Settings in the right column
    • Click Run programs made for previous versions of Windows

Then follow the prompts and direct the troubleshooter to the installer for your computer's driver. You will likely want to choose the choice for This program worked in earlier versions of Windows but won't install or run now when it is given if the latest driver is only applicable to a different version of Windows.

If you have any external hardware connected to your computer, another method of testing would be to try restarting your computer with the external hardware disconnected. If the crash doesn't happen, try connecting the disconnected devices one by one and restarting your computer to see which is related to the crash. 

Hope that helps.

Steven
    Sunday, November 27, 2011 1:07 AM
  • Just FYI... on some systems (especially I have noted... with some HP-Compaq laptops that are between 1 to 2 years old). there is a bug wherein coming out of sleep mode causes a freeze or crash.

On your issue, can you reboot into a safe mode successfully and then navigate around?  If so, that is definitely a driver issue of some sort...  might then try step-by-step boot... to have each driver load one by one.... until it hangs.  Another thought, I have had some laptops that spec-wise should have taken 64bit Dev Preview client no problem (Win7 64bit ran fine), but instead had similiar issues.... resolution was (for some odd reason.. again.. probably driver-related)... to load the 32bit version... no problems after that.  

Sunday, November 27, 2011 6:08 AM

All replies

• Hey Amolpatil1979,

Try installing the latest version of all available drivers from your computer manufacturer's website. Then restart your computer and test to see if the same problem occurs.

If any of the drivers aren't able to install properly, try using the compatibility troubleshooter to see if it can help the driver to install properly. The compatibility troubleshooter can be opened by:

• Enter the Start screen
    • Move your mouse to the bottom left of the screen to expand the Charms section
    • Select Search
    • Type Compatibility
    • Click Settings in the right column
    • Click Run programs made for previous versions of Windows

Then follow the prompts and direct the troubleshooter to the installer for your computer's driver. You will likely want to choose the choice for This program worked in earlier versions of Windows but won't install or run now when it is given if the latest driver is only applicable to a different version of Windows.

If you have any external hardware connected to your computer, another method of testing would be to try restarting your computer with the external hardware disconnected. If the crash doesn't happen, try connecting the disconnected devices one by one and restarting your computer to see which is related to the crash. 

Hope that helps.

Steven
    Sunday, November 27, 2011 1:07 AM
  • Just FYI... on some systems (especially I have noted... with some HP-Compaq laptops that are between 1 to 2 years old). there is a bug wherein coming out of sleep mode causes a freeze or crash.

On your issue, can you reboot into a safe mode successfully and then navigate around?  If so, that is definitely a driver issue of some sort...  might then try step-by-step boot... to have each driver load one by one.... until it hangs.  Another thought, I have had some laptops that spec-wise should have taken 64bit Dev Preview client no problem (Win7 64bit ran fine), but instead had similiar issues.... resolution was (for some odd reason.. again.. probably driver-related)... to load the 32bit version... no problems after that.  

Sunday, November 27, 2011 6:08 AM