Unable to install/uninstall silverlight on XP-Pro XP3

Question

•  

Windows updates wants to install Silverlight update.  Files download but install fails.  Same failure when I try to uninstall existing Silverlight. 

Windows Installer: The file 'C:\abccdb42ee8ef34479725e3a\silverlight.msi' is not a valid installation package for the product Microsoft SIlverlight.  Try to find the instalation package 'silverlight.msi' in a folder from which you can install Microsoft Silverlight.

A search of my computer confirms that this is the only copy of 'silverlight.msi' on my computer.

Thursday, August 21, 2008 6:18 AM

All replies

• can anyone tell me how to get rid of silverlight? or find the "valid install pack?"

i'm very frustrated in that a lot of programs are un-instaaleble through the control panel. if i had my origional windows program, i' d wipe everything out. but used pc's suck

for the price of  xp pro, i can buy a new pc. my conspiracy theory

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 9:31 PM
  •  john duff wrote:

can anyone tell me how to get rid of silverlight? or find the "valid install pack?"

i'm very frustrated in that a lot of programs are un-instaaleble through the control panel. if i had my origional windows program, i' d wipe everything out. but used pc's suck

for the price of  xp pro, i can buy a new pc. my conspiracy theory

Dear John, I am having the same problem. Windows Update wants to install Silverlight updates but Windows XP Pro SP3 will not accept the updates. When I try to Uninstall Silverlight, I am told the Silverlight.msi file can not be located. A Search of my PC can not locate the MSI file. I think the only way to fix the problem is to Delete all of the files and folder in the "Program Files\Silverlight\" folders on your PC, then delete all Silverlight Registry entries. I can not find answers anywhere on the net, so I will try the delete method and then post the results here at a later date. Cheers.

Tuesday, November 04, 2008 12:07 AM
  • I am having the same issue.  I am going to remove SP3. 

Friday, November 14, 2008 6:10 PM
  • I found a solution that worked for me posted by 'Digerati' (a Microsoft MVP = Most Valuable Professional) on http://forums.whatthetech.com/uninstall_Silverlight_t92386.html.  I am quoting it below for your convenience -- I've been to plenty of forums where links are no longer working and you are left without an answer:

"Silverlight is Microsoft's answer to Adobe's Flash and is designed to enrich Internet applications. If you are not having problems, I would leave it.

However, if you still wish to uninstall it, and you are unable to with conventional methods, I recommend you check out
    [MicroSoft Knowledge Base] MSKB Article 290301 - Windows Installer CleanUp Utility. Note this program does not remove the files or folder, it only removes the installer configuration - meaning Windows no longer thinks there is an existing installation - corrupt or otherwise. If you never wish to reinstall the program, you will need to manually delete the folders off your drive - and I would probably then recommend running a good Registry cleaner, such as the one found in CCleaner - but as always, be sure to follow the prompts to backup the Registry before making any changes. If you are going to reinstall the latest version of Silverlight and will do so in the same location, you do not need to delete the folders manually."

I did not run a registry cleaner because I updated to Silverlight 2.0.

Saturday, November 15, 2008 9:52 PM
  • I have the same problem that you state above.  A microsoft tech told me to uninstall Silverlight but I don't want to have to install all the programs that may be associated with that file, especially if you say that it doesn't work anyway.  Is silverlight something that should be installed?  If so, why is it so hard to install?
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 2:40 AM
  • Don't need to try to remove SP3 to get Silverlight.  I didn't have SP3 and I am having the same problem.
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 2:41 AM