"'.', hexadecimal value 0x00, is an invalid character

Question

• I have a program that calls a method in my web service.  The method executes a stored procedure and then returns a DataTable to my program.  I have used it many times and works just fine except for one stored procedure that I call.  The stored procedure works just fine and fills the DataTable, but when I return my DataTable to my program I get the following error:

There is an error in XML document

Inner Exception:

'.', hexadecimal value 0x00, is an invalid character. Line 1, position 270757.

Help Please.
    Friday, May 15, 2009 7:42 PM

Answers

• You need to find out where the stored procedure is placing a null, then figure out why.

It's possible that your stored procedure is returning binary data in a varchar column, which is bad. If so, then that column needs to become varbinary.

You can't "fix" it without knowing what's wrong.

John Saunders
    Use File->New Project to create Web Service Projects
    Use WCF for All New Web Service Development, instead of old ASMX or obsolete WSE
    • Marked as answer by edhickey Tuesday, May 26, 2009 6:56 PM
    Monday, May 18, 2009 7:18 PM

All replies

• "00" is an invalid character.

John Saunders
    Use WCF for All New Web Service Development, instead of old ASMX or obsolete WSE
    Friday, May 15, 2009 11:11 PM
  • I realize that. 0x00 is a null value if I'm not mistaken, but I don't know how to fix it.  Is there some property I can set on my datatable to allow nulls or to I have to go through all the null values in my tables and put data in them?
    Monday, May 18, 2009 6:18 PM
  • You need to find out where the stored procedure is placing a null, then figure out why.

It's possible that your stored procedure is returning binary data in a varchar column, which is bad. If so, then that column needs to become varbinary.

You can't "fix" it without knowing what's wrong.

John Saunders
    • Marked as answer by edhickey Tuesday, May 26, 2009 6:56 PM
    Monday, May 18, 2009 7:18 PM