none
"There is no unicode byte order mark:cannot switch to unicode" error while loading with XmlDocument clas

Question

• I'm trying to load the Application.MyApp file and am using Visual Studio 2005 june ctp. This file is a new file generated by visual studio and is the "code behind" all VB Projects in VS 2005. I need to load this file and retreive a piece of information i cant seem to find anywhere else, but I'm running into this error! This error pops when I execute the doc.Load(filename) member.

is there a way to force it to use a specific byte order? I find nothing in the XmlDocument class that looks like it might effect this.

Thanks in advance

Bill

The file looks like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<MyApplicationData xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">

<MySubMain>true</MySubMain>

<MainForm>Form1</MainForm>

<SingleInstance>false</SingleInstance>

<ShutdownMode>0</ShutdownMode>

<EnableVisualStyles>true</EnableVisualStyles>

<AuthenticationMode>0</AuthenticationMode>

<ApplicationType>0</ApplicationType>

<SaveMySettingsOnExit>true</SaveMySettingsOnExit>

</MyApplicationData>

Friday, August 12, 2005 10:10 PM

Answers

• Usually it happens when you have ANSI (or any one byte) encoded file with xml header
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16" ?>

Hack: you can read this file into string and use LoadXml()
    Thursday, August 18, 2005 3:21 AM

All replies

• Usually it happens when you have ANSI (or any one byte) encoded file with xml header
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16" ?>

Hack: you can read this file into string and use LoadXml()
    Thursday, August 18, 2005 3:21 AM
  • You can also get errors the other way, when the file starts with unicode byte order mark (FF FE) but then contains a different encoding attribute.

Friday, August 26, 2005 8:00 AM
  • hi..

it can b solved if u just remove encoding attribute from PI(processing instruction ),ie, xml tag in your xsl file...

instead of this...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?>

go for

<?xml version="1.0" ?>

in xsl file....

• Proposed as answer by sagar T.U. _ Tuesday, March 30, 2010 2:02 PM
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 2:01 PM