VSTS2008 how to parameterize the form values that are passed to next pages

Question

• I recorded one form adding text values and saved, the values are recorded as follows :

ClientInfo=U0TitleMr.U1First Name*G1U2Middle InitialU3Last NameH1U4Date of Birth*1/1/1980(mm/dd/yyyy)U5Gender*MU6Address 1U7Address 2U8City, State*, ZipMNU 

AA_FRAMEWORK_CONTEXT_CleintInfoForm={{$HIDDEN1.AA_FRAMEWORK_CONTEXT_CleintInfoForm}}

The above recorded values are passed to the next form as follows : AA_FRAMEWORK_CONTEXT=%2fRoot%2fCPE%2fClientsMenuItem%2fProfileGroup%2fPersonalInformation%2fClient

Can you please tell me how to parameterize the whole form ?

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 7:40 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Do you mean you want to replace some parameter with data from data source, if so, you can replace the hardcoded value of this parameter with string whose format like this {{DataSourceName.FileName#csv.ColumnName}} to stand for the value in data source.

For example, I have added one csv file named test.csv as data source in web test, the data source is named DataSource1, the csv file has two columns named A and B. Now I want to set the value of one paramter with the union of the two columns, we can set the value to be "{{DataSource1.test#csv.A}}+{{DataSource1.test#csv.B}}"

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 6:01 AM
  • Hi Edwer,

There are two web pages in my application 1)Client info and 2)Personal Info.The Clientinfo page will be displayed only for New client creation and upon new client creation the data will be stored in personal info and the personal info will be displayed there after.

In Client info the data is passed through Form post parameters as follows "ClientInfo=U0TitleMr.U1First Name*G1U2Middle InitialU3Last NameH1U4Date of Birth*1/1/1980(mm/dd/yyyy)U5Gender*MU6Address 1U7Address 2U8City, State*, ZipMNU"

"AA_FRAMEWORK_CONTEXT_CleintInfoForm={{$HIDDEN1.AA_FRAMEWORK_CONTEXT_CleintInfoForm}}"

and upon saving the value is saved and displayed in Personalinfo page as

"AA_FRAMEWORK_CONTEXT=%2fRoot%2fCPE%2fClientsMenuItem%2fProfileGroup%2fPersonalInformation%2fClient"

I parameterized the "ClientInfo" page using datasource but the datasource values is not passed to the Personalinfo page can you please tell how to pass the values? 

• Edited by KiranKotrappa Thursday, August 12, 2010 6:51 AM spellcheck
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 6:51 AM
  • Hello,

After parameterizing the clientinfo page and web test run, you may go to the request tab in web test result window to see if the value for ClientInfo is exactly what you want. If not, you may need to modify that parameter.

In addition, are there any errors while running web test? How do you figure out that datasource values are not passed to Personalinfo page?

Thanks.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help
    Friday, August 13, 2010 6:12 AM
  • Basically the ClientInfo opens in the form of Popup window and the data is eneterd in the window fields. Upon saving the values will be saved to another page Personal Info.I veriified the Clientinfo web test result window the values what it was parameterized are displayed correctly but when i checked the personal info web test result the recorded values are displayed.  
    Friday, August 13, 2010 3:48 PM
  • Hello,

Based on your descriptions, the request sent from clientinfo page works well, however, the personal info page does not display well. If so, I guess the cause is that the personal page does not get the right "id" for the record in database. You may verify the request for personal info to see how it sends the "id", then extract the info from previous page and bind it to personal info page. Here is an article you can refer to about how to do that: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/slumley/archive/2007/04/10/how-to-debug-a-web-test.aspx

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 6:17 AM