none
Please help with Lookup and Data Validation

Question

• I am trying to figure out how to provide a drop down list through data validation, which may contain duplicate values and are not in alphabetical order.  That's easy enough.

Next step, is when one is selected, I need to lookup data related to that exact entry selected.  At the moment, if one of the entries which is a duplicate is selected, I can't figure out how to get the data for the 2nd, as the vlookup returns the first match.

I've made a sample sheet with basic data.  Link is: goo.gl/ly12LE

or: htt ps:/ /drive.google.com/file/d/0B4sYDvwiS5yyVjQtQ0lNaHAzOUk/edit?usp=sharing

Sunday, January 26, 2014 2:18 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi

Hope that is what you were looking for:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3nvjdzxlhg0q9c7/Lookup%20Help.xlsx

Sheet1 - yours

Sheet2 - first solution 

Sheet3 - second solution 

Sergiy Vakshul

• Proposed as answer by Sergiy_Vakshul Sunday, January 26, 2014 9:03 PM
    • Marked as answer by Blue Oni Monday, January 27, 2014 12:30 AM
    Sunday, January 26, 2014 9:02 PM
  • I've made another one:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2nqnd3ji6ej2974/Lookup%20Help.xlsm

I like it more.

Sergiy Vakshul

• Proposed as answer by Sergiy_Vakshul Sunday, January 26, 2014 11:02 PM
    Sunday, January 26, 2014 11:02 PM
  • Both solutions look good and point me in the right direction.

I like sheet 2 solution, so simple I never thought of it.  Also very easy to then do additional lookups on that specific entry.  Thank you.

I haven't known how to provide drop down boxes without setting a data validation, so that's something I'm also going to dissect and is a great help.

The other solution you provided later in the additional document is great, but I'm purposefully avoiding macros as the real document needs to be shared around and I've found many either don't like files with macros, or can't even find the button to enable macros :S

Monday, January 27, 2014 12:36 AM