'7 - Out of memory' error from VB6 form with embedded .NET assembly

Question

• I am trying to embed an Atalasoft DotImage 8.0c WorkspaceViewer into a legacy VB6 application in order to allow users to view multi-page TIFF documents. I am using the Interop Forms Toolkit and a C# template provided by Leon Langleyben and so far everything has worked pretty well. The Interop Forms Toolkit and Leon's template provide the needed assembly manifest file and rc and res files for deploying my custom Interop User Control with my old VB6 application. The application works fine in my development environment (VS2005) and I have created both a VB6 setup package using Package and Deployment Wizard and a ClickOnce deployment package using reg-free COM to push my application to client workstations.

However, when I run either setup package and install this VB6 application on a client workstation, I consistently get a number 7 - Out of memory error. From reading about number 7 errors from VB6, I find that this tends to happen when there are too many controls on a VB6 form and the heap for the form runs out of memory. How can I troubleshoot this error and what solutions are possible? It sounds like this modern .NET document image viewer assembly is just too big for my old VB6 form to handle.

This 'Out of memory' error occurs not when I load up an image document but simply when I load the form with the embedded image viewer when it is empty. I tried to isolate the problem by creating a test VB6 application with only one form and one Workspaceviewer control on it. I wrote no code in VB6 at all - just had the app load the form. When I compiled this EXE, created a setup package for it and deployed it, I received the exact same error - 7 - Out of memory. So it doesn't appear that the problem is that the existing form has too many other controls - this one control seems to be causing this issue.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Tuesday, April 06, 2010 7:59 PM

Answers

• Issue closed.

After using try catch and getting the inner exception. It is an issue related to the "Atalasoft DotImage 8.0c WorkspaceViewer" license code.

Regards,
    Ji Zhou
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Friday, April 16, 2010 3:05 AM

All replies

• Hello Ronin,

Based on the description of the issue, the deployment should work correctly. And, since the application works in the development machine, I think this could be a machine-specific issue.

So, what is the system of the development machine and the current test deployment machine? How many machines you have tested to install the application? Does the application fail only on one machine or all.

Is it possible to share your simplified sample to me so that I can observe the issue and do investigations locally? You can access me via colbertz@microsoft.com

Regards,
    Ji Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Wednesday, April 07, 2010 10:54 AM
  • Hello,

I suspected that this could be machine-specific also, but I have now tested this installer on at least 5 different machines in 3 different offices - one Windows 2003 server and 4 XP machines (possibly a Vista machine among those 4, actually) - all with the same results.

I will forward the simplified sample to the address you provided - thank you for taking a look!

Thursday, April 08, 2010 7:21 AM
  • Hello,

I suspected that this could be machine-specific also, but I have now tested this installer on at least 5 different machines in 3 different offices - one Windows 2003 server and 4 XP machines (possibly a Vista machine among those 4, actually) - all with the same results.

I will forward the simplified sample to the address you provided - thank you for taking a look!

Thursday, April 08, 2010 7:22 AM
  • Issue closed.

After using try catch and getting the inner exception. It is an issue related to the "Atalasoft DotImage 8.0c WorkspaceViewer" license code.

Regards,
    Ji Zhou

Friday, April 16, 2010 3:05 AM