what is the meaning of this?

Question

• Unless you specifically want to expose a List<T> via a public interface.
    what is the meaning of Expose.?
    I am not very good in english in programming content.
    please help
    Brainstorm your Brain and find solution,if no result stuck to Brainstormer.
    Friday, July 10, 2009 7:30 PM

Answers

• It means to make it possible for someone to access the property or field from outside the class. 

public class MyClass
    {
         private List<string> AList = new List<string>(); // <---- not "exposed", as it's private.
         protected List<string> ProtectedList = new List<string>(); // <---- not "exposed" as it's protected.
         public List<string> PublicList = new List<string>(); // <---- exposed, because it's public and can be accessed outside of MyClass.
    }
    David Morton - http://blog.davemorton.net/ - @davidmmorton - ForumsBrowser, a WPF MSDN Forums Client
    • Marked as answer by simosi Friday, July 10, 2009 7:42 PM
    Friday, July 10, 2009 7:32 PM
  • That term threw me a bit when I first heard it and I was born speaking English.

Expose:  In this case, it means to open up something to the public.  To allow it to be viewed publicly.
    Mark the best replies as answers. "Fooling computers since 1971."
    Friday, July 10, 2009 7:35 PM

All replies

• It means to make it possible for someone to access the property or field from outside the class. 

public class MyClass
    {
         private List<string> AList = new List<string>(); // <---- not "exposed", as it's private.
         protected List<string> ProtectedList = new List<string>(); // <---- not "exposed" as it's protected.
         public List<string> PublicList = new List<string>(); // <---- exposed, because it's public and can be accessed outside of MyClass.
    }
    David Morton - http://blog.davemorton.net/ - @davidmmorton - ForumsBrowser, a WPF MSDN Forums Client
    Friday, July 10, 2009 7:32 PM
  • You did not provide much context here ...

But "expose" here probably means to "provide as public so other code can easily access it".

Hope this helps.
    www.insteptech.com ; msmvps.com/blogs/deborahk
    We are volunteers and ask only that if we are able to help you, that you mark our reply as your answer. THANKS!
    Friday, July 10, 2009 7:33 PM
  • To add to David's post, you also say that some type/instantiation is exposed when it's used as a return type or an argument in a public method.
    http://blog.voidnish.com
    Friday, July 10, 2009 7:34 PM
  • That term threw me a bit when I first heard it and I was born speaking English.

Expose:  In this case, it means to open up something to the public.  To allow it to be viewed publicly.
    Mark the best replies as answers. "Fooling computers since 1971."
    Friday, July 10, 2009 7:35 PM
  • Thanks everyone for your instant help.

Brainstorm your Brain and find solution,if no result stuck to Brainstormer.
    Friday, July 10, 2009 7:43 PM