none
Need clarification: MSDN documentation says Audit Trails not supported in the Scrum Template?

Question

• I think I'm misunderstanding this. On the Visual Studio 2012 - Choose a Process Template page in the "Main distinctions..." section you will see a comparison of the TFS 2012 process templates. At the bottom of the table you will see "Audit trail". Here are the values:

Audit Trail

• Visual Studio Scrum 2.0 - Not Supported 
    • MSF for Agile v6.0 - Minimal
    • MSF for CMMI v6.0 - Supported

When I first saw this I was thinking: no version control changeset history? no work item history? No links or associations with work items?

I'm assuming this means that the fields included in the Scrum template are minimal. There are not a lot of fields for audit ... stuff.

Does that sound correct?

Thanks!

Monday, June 10, 2013 3:24 PM

Answers

• Source Control history is global - no worries there.

work item history is also global - no worries there.

From what I had seen in earlier versions of the template, there are fields in most Work Item types to capture things like "when the work item was resolved" and "who resolved it" which take a copy of the person and date/time at the time when the state was transitioned.   That would be the difference that can vary by process template and definition.

cbkadel

Thursday, June 13, 2013 2:08 AM
  • Hi!

All process templates has same level of audit trial. I think that on msdn described expected level of the audit trial for choosing your process.

Monday, June 10, 2013 9:08 PM
  • The new documentation does not even refer to "audit trail" anymore, you need to go back to the VS 2010 version to see it mentioned.

The reference to "audit trail" was a left over from previous versions. Besides all that Alexandr and cbkadel have mentioned, it also referred to the fact that MSF for CMMI Process Improvement implements change control procedures by using the extra Change Request and Issue work items, plus extra an State and Reasons, all to satisfy CMMI's requirements to be level 3 compliant.

Clementino de Mendonça ALM Ranger

Wednesday, September 03, 2014 6:35 PM

All replies

• Hi!

All process templates has same level of audit trial. I think that on msdn described expected level of the audit trial for choosing your process.

Monday, June 10, 2013 9:08 PM
  • Source Control history is global - no worries there.

work item history is also global - no worries there.

From what I had seen in earlier versions of the template, there are fields in most Work Item types to capture things like "when the work item was resolved" and "who resolved it" which take a copy of the person and date/time at the time when the state was transitioned.   That would be the difference that can vary by process template and definition.

cbkadel

Thursday, June 13, 2013 2:08 AM
  • I think Alexandr is correct.  The feature within TFS (Work Item Audit Trail) is a global thing and exists on all the work items of the process templates available from Microsoft.  What is not global - is the process "audit trail" - for instance, with CMMI there is a robust relationship setup between [Requirement] and the Tasks that were used to accomplish that requirement.  Whereas, the Scrum process template assumes that the development team (cross functional team) will accomplish a PBI and not track necessarily when that item is handed over from a formal "dev" to "qa" team.  

Choosing the process template for 'audit trail' has less to do with the TFS functionality and more to do with the type of tracking your organization requires.

cbkadel

• Proposed as answer by cbkadel Friday, June 14, 2013 4:56 AM
    Friday, June 14, 2013 4:55 AM
  • The new documentation does not even refer to "audit trail" anymore, you need to go back to the VS 2010 version to see it mentioned.

The reference to "audit trail" was a left over from previous versions. Besides all that Alexandr and cbkadel have mentioned, it also referred to the fact that MSF for CMMI Process Improvement implements change control procedures by using the extra Change Request and Issue work items, plus extra an State and Reasons, all to satisfy CMMI's requirements to be level 3 compliant.

Clementino de Mendonça ALM Ranger

Wednesday, September 03, 2014 6:35 PM