OWC 11 Compatibility With Windows 7

Question

• I just wanted to know that OWC 11 is Compatible with Windows 7 or not ............

I have a WPF application in which i have used OWC 11 Spreadsheet Component & it was working fine on all PCs except the ones with Windows 7 installed on them.

I installed OWC 11 on those systems but on luck......

i m getting AccessVoilationException while Debugging .......

& i m not getting any work around for my application to run properly on Windows 7 system...

So, Just need to ask whether OWC 11 is compatible with Windows 7 or not .

if it is not compatible then i need to use some other components so can suggest some Components that provide same functionality like OWC 11 Spreadsheet..

Thanx
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 11:57 AM

All replies

• Sorry, this is not a WPF Application that I am talking about, but a VB .Net application so it may not be as relevant to this thread

I also have an application that uses the OWC 11 Spreadsheet Component and it at least works installed on my Windows 7 Home laptop. It does require that Microsoft Office 2003 Web Components be installed, as far as I know. I tried including what I guessed to be the necessary DLLs without any luck. I have it setup so that the installer checks for the OWCSpreadsheet registry key and if that is not there then it tries to install Office Web Components. Not sure if there is a better solution out there for handling this? I have seen that on at least 1 Windows 7 computer that registry key check apparently didn't work and the Spreadsheet did not throw an exception, but it just did not show up on the expected forms. I also had a check for if a form with that spreadsheet throws an exception then it offers to install Office Web Components (which in this case, obviously does not work). The problem was fixed by installing 2003 Office Web Components, but I was unsure how to better programmatically determine whether Office Web Components was already installed or if it needed to be installed? How can you programmatically check if a program is already installed? I have had many problems in the past with the OWC 11 Spreadsheet, but do not know of a better alternative. I would think that there would be a nice wrapper for the DataGridView component that emulates more of the behavior of Excel spreadsheets with formulas and such, but I have not found any. Have thought about biting the bullet and expanding on DataGridView, but always fell into the trap of just trying to make sure OWC Spreadsheet worked rather than re-inventing the wheel.  Any help would be appreciated on these issues! Thanks 
    Dim exists As Boolean = False
                    Try
                        If My.Computer.Registry.ClassesRoot.OpenSubKey("OWC11.Spreadsheet.11") IsNot Nothing Then
                            exists = True
                        End If
                    Finally
                        My.Computer.Registry.ClassesRoot.Close()
                    End Try

If exists = False Then
                        MsgBox("Office Web Components is needed for certain components. Please follow the installation of this application.")
                        Process.Start(Path.GetDirectoryName(System.Reflection.Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly().Location) + "\owc11.exe")
                    End If
    Tuesday, March 02, 2010 4:25 PM
  • I just wanted to know that OWC 11 is Compatible with Windows 7 or not ............

I have a WPF application in which i have used OWC 11 Spreadsheet Component & it was working fine on all PCs except the ones with Windows 7 installed on them.

I installed OWC 11 on those systems but on luck......

i m getting AccessVoilationException while Debugging .......

& i m not getting any conversion for my application to run properly on Windows 7 system...

So, Just need to ask whether OWC 11 is compatible with Windows 7 or not .

if it is not compatible then i need to use some other components so can suggest some Components that provide same functionality like OWC 11 Spreadsheet..

Thanx

The answer should be yes. Please see this post http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.office.developer.web.components&tid=250fba0d-b474-4e56-b2c1-c839e6522eb6&cat=&lang=&cr=&sloc=&p=1 . May it help.
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 2:24 PM
  • My application does not run on IE8 it is a window Application & it runs on 32 bit Win 7.

I have tried it on 4-5 Machines with same setup but my application does not work on any of them

Thursday, June 24, 2010 4:06 AM