none
IE11 Work Offline mode, has it been removed?

Question

• Has Microsoft removed (or just moved) the ‘Work Offline” file menu option from IE11?  We cannot find the option at all on our Win 8.1 preview machines, nor any mention of its removal on the Internet.  We are concerned about the possibility Microsoft decided no one needs to forcibly browse offline and thus removed the option.  One of our apps relies on Work Offline to work and write data to a local database and then sync when they're back online.  Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Tuesday, August 06, 2013 10:22 PM

Answers

• Has Microsoft removed (or just moved) the ‘Work Offline” file menu option from IE11?

One of our apps relies on Work Offline to work and write data to a local database and then sync when they're back online.

How did that work in IE9?  I think that is when it started ignoring Work Offline but then offering to turn it back on which I imagine would be useless to you anyway?  So, it looks to me (thanks for pointing this out) IE11 has just removed that irritant.

So what happens if you set GlobalUserOffline in some other way?  E.g. using some other product which expects it to have the conventional effect?   What does IE11 do then?... Ignores it completely apparently.  WLMail 2012 too.  I set it using RegEdit and neither of them noticed.  But WLMail still does have Work Offline support within it.  BTW I used ProcMon to confirm these observations.  Filter:  Path Contains GlobalUserOffline.

I wonder how this user likes these changes?   <eg>

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/6fd63f95-7ff0-4d78-9af5-96c9e9fd35aa/adding-a-button-to-work-offline

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, August 07, 2013 1:51 PM

All replies

• Yes... see Compatibility change list for IE11

Use HTML5 application caches instead for IE10/11

Rob^_^

Wednesday, August 07, 2013 12:17 AM
  • Has Microsoft removed (or just moved) the ‘Work Offline” file menu option from IE11?

One of our apps relies on Work Offline to work and write data to a local database and then sync when they're back online.

How did that work in IE9?  I think that is when it started ignoring Work Offline but then offering to turn it back on which I imagine would be useless to you anyway?  So, it looks to me (thanks for pointing this out) IE11 has just removed that irritant.

So what happens if you set GlobalUserOffline in some other way?  E.g. using some other product which expects it to have the conventional effect?   What does IE11 do then?... Ignores it completely apparently.  WLMail 2012 too.  I set it using RegEdit and neither of them noticed.  But WLMail still does have Work Offline support within it.  BTW I used ProcMon to confirm these observations.  Filter:  Path Contains GlobalUserOffline.

I wonder how this user likes these changes?   <eg>

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/6fd63f95-7ff0-4d78-9af5-96c9e9fd35aa/adding-a-button-to-work-offline

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, August 07, 2013 1:51 PM
  • I can't see any mention of Work offline on the page you refer to. Did you perhaps post the wrong link?

Noel

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 12:05 AM
  • Yes, the Work Offline command was removed from IE11's File Menu. The feature had been decaying for years, and in modern versions of IE, if the user manually chose Work Offline, that option would be unchecked and ignored as soon as the user attempted to load anything.
    • Proposed as answer by iFiredog Tuesday, September 24, 2013 10:34 PM
    Tuesday, September 24, 2013 7:19 PM
  • Yes, the Work Offline command was removed from IE11's File Menu.

This presents a potential problem for users of programs that honour the GlobalUserOffline setting, which still seems to exist although there's no longer anywhere in the UI to change it - Work offline in IE was the only place.

Since the introduction of IE10, many users of Windows Live Mail have had persistent problems with the program randomly (?) switching to offline mode. There have also been reports of similar problems in Outlook. Using the command within Windows Live Mail (Go online) had no effect. Although no comprehensive troubleshooting has been conducted to my knowledge, the scenario seems to be

1. The user has a third-party browser, e.g. Chrome or Firefox, installed.
    2. IE10 is subsequently installed or updated (there's been a rash of complaints after each CSU)

It looks as if these third-party browsers make changes in Internet connectivity in some way, without this having any effect on GlobalUserOffline. However, these changes are reversed by the IE10 installation/update, with the result that Windows Live Mail can no longer control GlobalUserOffline. The only available solution for affected users was to open IE10 and toggle the Work offline setting (repeatedly if necessary until Windows Live Mail got the message).

What are these users to do when IE11 is released? Or does the removal of the possibility to set IE11 to work offline mean that this third-party interference will no longer occur?

Noel

Friday, September 27, 2013 2:34 PM
  • InkSwitch stops working, too, after installing IE11. It's very sad to say goodbye to an old friend that's done its job effectively and unobtrusively since 2000.

Noel

Friday, September 27, 2013 2:39 PM
  • Ah guys... I have the exact same machines set up with all updates installed.  Both machines have Windows Live Mail 2012.  The only difference with the two machines is I only updated IE11 on one.

So now WLM 2012 will not send or receive emails.  It works perfectly fine on my other machine with WLM 2012 and IE10.

Microsoft has to stop doing this "%*&#@".  It drive the average users NUTS.  MSFT really doesn't get it.. I have experienced a number of these types of upgrade issue over the past few years.  The software gets nicer and nicer... but they really screw up the upgrades sometimes... which results in hours and hours of research to fix.

FYI... the average user just won't spend the time to fix it... they will just go on to something else more important in their lives....

Thursday, November 21, 2013 4:17 PM
  • I miss it too. Once more, M$ shoots its foot and paves the way for Mozilla to remain in the forefront. I use offline mode extensively to view saved web pages. If live, IE corrupts saved files with current versions that destroy the archived evidence I'm trying to maintain.  Now that IE11 has this fatal flaw, I have, for the first time, placed Firefox as the default for html files on my machines.

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 3:24 AM
  • Yes, the Work Offline command was removed from IE11's File Menu.

This presents a potential problem for users of programs that honour the GlobalUserOffline setting, which still seems to exist although there's no longer anywhere in the UI to change it

Noel

Thanks for divulging the registry key.  I'll write some *.reg files and see if I can turn it on and off that way.  Maybe someday M$ will fix their mistake.
    Wednesday, December 18, 2013 3:33 AM