none
MS SQL Server 2012 SSMS connect

Question

• I have MS SQL 2012 developer version and tried to connect MS SQL server databases and realized that it is very slow to connect remote MS SQL Server 2012 which takes more than 10 minutes to connect remote MS SQL 2012 server.

It works when I use SSMS 2012 to connect 2008 R2 remote server.

It works fine to connect 2012 Remote server suing 2008 SSMS, but I am unable to open 2012 server view and update records.

Do I need to do any configuration for SSMS 2012 to connect 2012 remote server or it is normal that 2012 SSMS is slow to connect 2012 remote server,

Your information and help is great appreciated,

Regards,

Souris,

Monday, June 16, 2014 1:40 PM

All replies

• I would make sure that you have enabled TCP/IP for the SQL Server as well as checking the port settings:

• Sql Server Configuration Manager
        • Sql Server Network Configuration
        • Protocols for MSSQLServer
        • Enable TCP/IP

Also in SQL server Mgmt Studio on the server

1. Right click the server
    2. Properties
    3. Connections
    4. Make sure "Allow remote connections to this server" is checked

If this is helpful please mark it so. Also if this solved your problem mark as answer.

• Edited by TenPart Monday, June 16, 2014 2:00 PM edit
    Monday, June 16, 2014 1:59 PM
  • Thanks for the information and help,

I double checked SSMS that 'Allow remote connections to this server' is checked.

For SQL server configuration, my local developer version is enabled TCP/IP, shared memory and named pipes, for remote server, I can assume that the DBA enabled this, if not then I should not be able to connect the server.

Thanks again for the information and help,

Regards,

Souris,

Monday, June 16, 2014 2:58 PM
  • to connect remote MS SQL Server 2012 which takes more than 10 minutes

Hello Souris,

I am a Little bit surprised, because the default Connection timeout is 15 seconds; after this you should already get an error message.

Can you ping the server and which latency values are you getting? Can you connect to SQL Server via TelNet? See also Troubleshooting Connectivity

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 6:53 AM
  • yes, I can ping the server and it gets back in 20 milliseconds.

I just realized that as long as I click on server node to expand or collapse then it takes long time, but other nodes are ok like tables, stored procedures, views,

Thanks again for helping,

Regards,

Souris,

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 4:30 PM