none
How to recursive loop through cild elements?

Question

• Hi,

i have the following xml structure:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?> <Templates> <Template ID="100" Title="Contenttemplate-1"> <Node ID="101">node101 <Node ID="102">node102</Node> <Node ID="106">node106 <Node ID="108">node108</Node> <Node ID="109">node109</Node> </Node> </Node> <Node ID="103">node103</Node> <Node ID="104">node104</Node>

</Template> </Templates>

How could i loop recursively through the elements of Template?

The result should look like:

node101
      -- node102
      -- node106
      -- -- node108
      -- -- node109
    node103
    node104

How to solve this?

Best regards,
    Yavuz B.

My Sharepoint and Enterprise 2.0 Blog http://www.bogazci.com | Microsoft Sharepoint Resources & Blog List

• Edited by [Yavuz B.] Saturday, June 22, 2013 10:43 AM
    Saturday, June 22, 2013 10:43 AM

Answers

• With C# if you are dealing with recursive XML then you usually write a recursive method, here is an example which takes the XML you have posted and populates a Windows Forms TreeView with a recursive method that takes LINQ to XML XElements and creates Windows  Forms TreeNodes:

public partial class Form1 : Form
        {
            public Form1()
            {
                InitializeComponent();
                PopulateTreeView(treeView1, XDocument.Load("Template1.xml").Descendants("Template").First());
            }

void PopulateTreeView(TreeView view, XElement template)
            {
                view.Nodes.AddRange((from node in template.Elements("Node") select MakeTreeNode(node)).ToArray());
            }

TreeNode MakeTreeNode(XElement node)
            {
                TreeNode treeNode = new TreeNode((node.FirstNode as XText).Value.Trim());
                treeNode.Nodes.AddRange((from childNode in node.Elements("Node") select MakeTreeNode(childNode)).ToArray());
                return treeNode;
            }

Of course depending on your needs the recursive method could instead simply write some output for each node passed in and process child nodes with a foreach loop making the recursive call. But for a TreeView respectively for TreeNodes passing in an array created from some LINQ

(from child in node.Elements("Node") select MyRecursiveFunction(childNode).ToArray()

is slightly more compact and elegant.

MVP (XML, Data Platform Development) 2005/04 - 2013/03 My blog

• Proposed as answer by Martin Honnen Sunday, June 23, 2013 8:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by [Yavuz B.] Sunday, June 23, 2013 10:44 AM
    Saturday, June 22, 2013 1:41 PM

All replies

• Do you want to use a .NET language like C# or VB.NET? Or XSLT?

With XSLT you would use

<xsl:template match="Template[@ID = '100']">

<ul>

<xsl:apply-templates select="Node"/>

</ul>

</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="Node">

<li>

<xsl:value-of select="text()[1]"/>

<xsl:if test="Node">

<ul>

<xsl:apply-templates select="Node"/>

</ul>

</xsl:if>

</li>

</xsl:template>

Saturday, June 22, 2013 11:17 AM
  • Oh, a very good question ;) sorry:

i am developing under c# the solution could be c#, vb.net, linq or something waht i could use under/convert to c#.

Best regards,
    Yavuz B.

My Sharepoint and Enterprise 2.0 Blog http://www.bogazci.com | Microsoft Sharepoint Resources & Blog List

Saturday, June 22, 2013 11:20 AM
  • With C# if you are dealing with recursive XML then you usually write a recursive method, here is an example which takes the XML you have posted and populates a Windows Forms TreeView with a recursive method that takes LINQ to XML XElements and creates Windows  Forms TreeNodes:

public partial class Form1 : Form
        {
            public Form1()
            {
                InitializeComponent();
                PopulateTreeView(treeView1, XDocument.Load("Template1.xml").Descendants("Template").First());
            }

void PopulateTreeView(TreeView view, XElement template)
            {
                view.Nodes.AddRange((from node in template.Elements("Node") select MakeTreeNode(node)).ToArray());
            }

TreeNode MakeTreeNode(XElement node)
            {
                TreeNode treeNode = new TreeNode((node.FirstNode as XText).Value.Trim());
                treeNode.Nodes.AddRange((from childNode in node.Elements("Node") select MakeTreeNode(childNode)).ToArray());
                return treeNode;
            }

Of course depending on your needs the recursive method could instead simply write some output for each node passed in and process child nodes with a foreach loop making the recursive call. But for a TreeView respectively for TreeNodes passing in an array created from some LINQ

(from child in node.Elements("Node") select MyRecursiveFunction(childNode).ToArray()

is slightly more compact and elegant.

• Proposed as answer by Martin Honnen Sunday, June 23, 2013 8:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by [Yavuz B.] Sunday, June 23, 2013 10:44 AM
    Saturday, June 22, 2013 1:41 PM