none
Report Builder & Reporting Model - Do I still need to create a Dataset?

Question

• Hi All,

We are new to SRSS 2008r2 & Report Builder 3.0, been using 2005 up until now.

I have created a Reporting Model in Visual Studio and published it for the customer to build reports.  However Report Builder looks like it needs a dataset created  before it can be used.  As I have already created a model, i don't really want to build a dataset as well or is that the case now?  

In the old report builder, no dataset was needed - it worked off the model.

Thanks

Monday, January 20, 2014 8:14 PM

Answers

• Hi Jimmy,

SQL Server 2005 use Report Builder to create reports. If we want to use Report Builder create a report, we must first create a report model and publish it before it can be used in a report. Report models are, in effect, predefined datasets. We can use a report model as a data source for both full-featured reports and for ad hoc reports created in Report Builder and Report Builder 1.0. We do not have to create a dataset query when working with a report model because the model builds the query for us as we work with the data. Report models contain predefined fields and data relationships, called entities and roles, that appear in the Data pane when we select a report model as a data source, and which can be used in the same way that dataset fields are used.

While in Report Builder 3.0, we have more choices, we can use a shared connection, report model or a connection embedded in my report as a data source. As per my understanding, all connections are used the same procedures, create a data source, create a dataset, create a report. Even we have selected report model as data source, we also need to create a dataset. And when we create a dataset, it add more filter criteria to filter the fields.

Furthermore, are you just want to use Report Builder 3.0 create reports? If in this case, we have more choices to achieve the goal. For more details, please see the following document:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd207008(v=sql.105).aspx

Thanks,
    Katherine Xiong

Katherine Xiong
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 12:36 PM

All replies

• Jimmy,

When you first launch report builder and start building a new report it will ask if you want to used a "Shared Dataset" or if you want to create a dataset local to the report.  You likely want your users to select "create dataset" and click next (creating the dataset [query] that is local to the report).  From there they would click browse and select the model to use.  As i am sure you aware, a shared dataset can be created to mask a data source or a model.  In SQL Server 2012 they have actually deprecated models, so something to consider there...

• Edited by JJordheim Monday, January 20, 2014 10:24 PM
    • Proposed as answer by JJordheim Wednesday, January 22, 2014 2:03 PM
    Monday, January 20, 2014 10:23 PM
  • Hi Jimmy,

SQL Server 2005 use Report Builder to create reports. If we want to use Report Builder create a report, we must first create a report model and publish it before it can be used in a report. Report models are, in effect, predefined datasets. We can use a report model as a data source for both full-featured reports and for ad hoc reports created in Report Builder and Report Builder 1.0. We do not have to create a dataset query when working with a report model because the model builds the query for us as we work with the data. Report models contain predefined fields and data relationships, called entities and roles, that appear in the Data pane when we select a report model as a data source, and which can be used in the same way that dataset fields are used.

While in Report Builder 3.0, we have more choices, we can use a shared connection, report model or a connection embedded in my report as a data source. As per my understanding, all connections are used the same procedures, create a data source, create a dataset, create a report. Even we have selected report model as data source, we also need to create a dataset. And when we create a dataset, it add more filter criteria to filter the fields.

Furthermore, are you just want to use Report Builder 3.0 create reports? If in this case, we have more choices to achieve the goal. For more details, please see the following document:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd207008(v=sql.105).aspx

Thanks,
    Katherine Xiong

Katherine Xiong
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 12:36 PM