Windows 8 and (Cisco) VPN

Answers

• Hi Everyone,

Just to update, the legacy Cisco VPN client (5.0.07.0440 for x64, 5.0.07.0410 for x86) is working for some people. You need to apply a small workaround as explained below –

·    Open Registry editor by typingregedit in Run prompt

·    Browse to the Registry Key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\CVirtA

·    Select the DisplayName to modify, and remove the leading characters from the value data upto "%;" i.e.

o    For x86, change the value data from something like "@oem8.inf,%CVirtA_Desc%;Cisco Systems VPN Adapter” to "Cisco Systems VPN Adapter”

o    For x64, change the value data from something like "@oem8.inf,%CVirtA_Desc%;Cisco Systems VPN Adapter for 64-bit Windows” to "Cisco Systems VPN Adapter for 64-bit Windows”

·    Try connecting again

Please do revert back if this solution does not work.

Regards,

Raman

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 1:20 PM
  • While the original question was about getting the Cisco VPN client to work on Windows 8 (didn't work for me, and I also found that figuring out how to get the configuration settings correct for my companies VPN was not easy), if you are not required to use the Cisco client I've found that the free ShrewSoft (www.shrew.net) client works with Cisco VPN gateways and even can import the Cisco .pcf file so you don't have to guess at the settings.  (I'm using the latest beta.)
    David Butchart
    Tuesday, October 04, 2011 11:00 PM
  • Verified!  The free ShrewSoft VPN client 2.1.7 http://www.shrew.net/download/vpn/vpn-client-2.1.7-release.exe will work on Windows8 Developer Preview and will import the CISCO .pcf file just a David Butchart said.

Thank you David!

Friday, October 07, 2011 1:58 AM

All replies

• Not using it anymore but on the Win 7 beta I successfully installed an older version. Have you tried the Win 7 version.

Here is an old thread about the same issue when Win7 was in beta. Hope it might help.

If you found this post helpful, please "Vote as Helpful". If it answered your question, remember to "Mark as Answer". Fredrik Nilsson | MCITP, MCTS, MCP
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:53 PM
  • Installing it now...will let you know how I get on.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 10:57 PM
  • I've gotten version 5.0.07.0290 (The windows 7 compatible version) to install and work perfectly on my x64 Windows 8.

What problems are you having? If it's not installing properly, Make sure you are using the win7 compatible version for the correct processor architecture. There is a 32 & 64-bit release of the VPN software - and they won't work on the wrong system.

T

Thursday, September 15, 2011 11:09 PM
  • I'm using that version (5.0.07.0290) on my x64 Win7/Win8 dual boot, but I keep getting error 442, failed to enable adapter.  I too have tried adding the registry key that was mentioned for Vista-related issues, and diagnosing the adapter.  Adding the key went fine, but the same problem happened after a reboot.  Diagnosing the adapter said there was no issue... yet still error 442 comes up.

What should I try next?

Friday, September 16, 2011 2:53 AM
  • Yes, I'm getting exactly the same issue too.

Friday, September 16, 2011 3:35 AM
  • Same Error 442 here. 
    Friday, September 16, 2011 10:43 AM
  • I am getting the same error 442. I have tried it in windows 7 compatibility mode as well. It does not work.

I have version 5.0.07.0290 x64 and it used to work perfectly in windows 7x64

Friday, September 16, 2011 3:56 PM
  • Hey has anyone got the cisco VPN client to work on win 8?

Saturday, September 17, 2011 11:09 PM
  • Hi,

When do you see this error - while trying to connect to VPN server.  Can you please check if there is any specific error event while encountering this issue?  Just to confirm:  you are using the 64bit Cisco VPN application (5.0.07.0290) on x64 Win8 dual boot.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 7:27 AM
  • Hi, I see the error when I try to connect. The error number is 442: virtual adapter can not be enabled.  I am using  64bit Cisco VPN application (5.0.07.0290) on x64 Win8. But no dual boot.
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 8:29 PM
  • I'm having similar issues with Cisco AnyConnect VPN v. 2.4.1012

It works on all of my Win7 x64 boxes but not my Win8 x64 box.

The application is able to start the session and the driver seems happy. It is loaded without any faults reported but the Application is unable to get the driver to do anything. It fails to enable it or any other operation that has the driver as a target...

Date        : 09/19/2011
    Time        : 18:15:18
    Type        : Error
    Source      : vpnagent

Description : Function: CVirtualAdapter::OpenCVirtADevice
    File: .\WindowsVirtualAdapter.cpp
    Line: 568
    Invoked Function: SetDeviceInfoData
    Return Code: 0 (0x00000000)
    Description: unknown

Description : Function: CVirtualAdapter::CVirtualAdapter
    Line: 309
    Invoked Function: OpenCVirtADevice

Description : Function: CVAMgr::disableHostMgr
    File: .\VAMgr.cpp
    Line: 552
    Invoked Function: CVirtualAdapter

Description : Function: CVAMgr::CVAMgr
    Line: 129
    Invoked Function: disable
    Return Code: -32964594 (0xFE09000E)
    Description: VAMGR_ERROR_CVIRTUALADAPTER_FAILED

Description : Function: CVirtualAdapter::OpenCVirtADevice
    Line: 568
    Invoked Function: SetDeviceInfoData

Description : Function: CVirtualAdapter::CVirtualAdapter
    Line: 309
    Invoked Function: OpenCVirtADevice

Description : Function: CVAMgr::disableHostMgr
    Line: 552
    Invoked Function: CVirtualAdapter

Description : Function: CVAMgr::~CVAMgr
    Line: 149
    Invoked Function: CVAMgr::disable
    Return Code: -32964594 (0xFE09000E)
    Description: VAMGR_ERROR_CVIRTUALADAPTER_FAILED

Thursday, September 22, 2011 9:23 PM
  • Dear Microsoft,

Please include some native VPN software in Windows8 (like Apple does on the iPhone/iPad).

-AlfredBr

Friday, September 23, 2011 7:06 PM
  • On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 19:06:12 +0000, AlfredBr wrote:

Please include some native VPN software in Windows8 (like Apple does on the iPhone/iPad).

Windows has included a native VPN client for as long as I can remember.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Compile:  A heap of decomposing vegetable matter.

Friday, September 23, 2011 7:30 PM
  • Hey Paul

How do I access the native VPN client?

Thx

Friday, September 23, 2011 7:41 PM
  • On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 19:41:02 +0000, illuminati5288 wrote:

How do?I access the native VPN client?

Open the Network and Sharing Center, click Set up a new connection or
    network, click Connect to a workplace and then complete the wizard.

Paul Adare
    Disc space -- the final frontier!

Friday, September 23, 2011 7:48 PM
  • You are right Paul, but no one in any enterprise I've worked in uses the built-in Microsoft VPN (because it does not work with CISCO equipment).  I guess I should have said, "Please update the included VPN stack to work with modern networks."

As you may know, a fresh-out-of-the-box iPad can connect to my customer's network via VPN, but my new Samsung Windows8 tablet does not (even when using CISCO's own VPN client).  I hope this story changes by RTM.  (I'm frustrated while I watch my customers adopt and integrate Apple mobile products into my accounts.)

BTW: I'm on your side Paul.

• Edited by AlfredBr Friday, September 23, 2011 9:58 PM
    Friday, September 23, 2011 9:55 PM
  • AlferdBr, try Bing, and make sure you are looking for => "Windows VPN" Cisco

Then something like this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/249278 might help!

Friday, September 23, 2011 10:39 PM
  • AlferdBr, try Bing, and make sure you are looking for => "Windows VPN" Cisco

Then something like this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/249278 might help!

Thanks, I'll look into it.  (But this does not seem like an adequate reponse to the "Apple experience" that we are competing against.)

EDIT: Looked into it.  It does not seem to apply to Win7/8 and the CISCO network I'm connecting to.  (FWIW, I'm not trolling or griefing on MSFT, I truly want to access some data that is on a CISCO network from a Windows8 client.  If I can demo a (under-development) Metro-style app that displays this content, I can help sell Windows8 into this account against Apple products.  Without a VPN network connection, I'm toast!) [It seems a shame that all the work that Microsoft put into the Metro-style application API's & SDK's may be overlooked if the customer data cannot be accessed from a Win8 device due to the VPN difficulties.]

• Edited by AlfredBr Saturday, September 24, 2011 2:19 AM
    Friday, September 23, 2011 10:52 PM
  • Nice suggestion. Please, once you experience Windows VPN with CISCO share it with us. If you find any discrepancies, file the comprehensive feature request or bug report via feedback tool, so the team could realize it.

Thank you.

Saturday, September 24, 2011 12:57 AM
  • On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 21:55:09 +0000, AlfredBr wrote:

You are right Paul, but no one in any enterprise I've worked?in uses the?built-in Microsoft VPN (because it does not work with CISCO equipment).

As others have already pointed out to you, the native Windows VPN client
    does in fact work with Cisco VPN devices and I've done work with a lot of
    Fortune 100 companies that use exactly this combination.

BTW: I'm on your side Paul.

I don't know what this means as I don't have a side here. Perhaps you mean
    that you're on Microsoft's side? If so, you should know that MVPs are not
    Microsoft employees, we are volunteers who like to share what little
    technical expertise we may have and simply get recognized by Microsoft for
    doing so.

Paul Adare
    Network:  The occupation of a fisherman.

Saturday, September 24, 2011 8:35 AM
  • I imagine that you are correct, but every VPN solution I have seen on Windows uses some proprietary 3rd-party client.  Again, I imagine that you are correct, but this thread was created by someone who wanted to VPN, but could not successfully do it (using the CISCO client.)  If the built-in client works as you say, there should not be a need for the CISCO client. 

I do have faith that the built-in client works, but there does not seem to be a general awareness that it works (or that it even exists!)  So far, no one that I can find has used the built-in client sucessfully with CISCO equipment.  There seem to be people who *claim* that it works, but no instructions to demonstrate that it works.

When I said that "I am on your side", I wanted to make sure that I came across as someone who was sincerely trying to get something done with Microsoft, and not someone doing some petty sniping at some obscure deficiency in Windows.  I do appreciate everything you MVP's do -- I do the same thing (albeit without the MVP designation.)

I've been trying to get Win8 connected via VPN for over a week.  The Apple guys can do it in seconds.  Is there any documentation on the built-in Windows VPN client that you can point me to?  I have faith that it works and I want to use it.

EDIT: I learned a lot from this link: http://www.hideipvpn.com/2010/03/howto-windows-7-ipsecl2tp-vpn-setup-tutorial/ but still no successful connection.

EDIT: This link is also interesting: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/products_configuration_example09186a00807213a7.shtml but still no successful connection.

• Edited by AlfredBr Sunday, September 25, 2011 1:28 PM
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 1:43 PM
  • While the original question was about getting the Cisco VPN client to work on Windows 8 (didn't work for me, and I also found that figuring out how to get the configuration settings correct for my companies VPN was not easy), if you are not required to use the Cisco client I've found that the free ShrewSoft (www.shrew.net) client works with Cisco VPN gateways and even can import the Cisco .pcf file so you don't have to guess at the settings.  (I'm using the latest beta.)
    David Butchart
    Tuesday, October 04, 2011 11:00 PM
    David Butchart

I have unsuccessfully been trying to get Cisco VPN to work  - I downloaded the Shrew beta version DButch mentioned,  then I imported the cisco VPN .pcf file into shrew and it worked - Thanks!

Wednesday, October 05, 2011 3:10 AM
  • Verified!  The free ShrewSoft VPN client 2.1.7 http://www.shrew.net/download/vpn/vpn-client-2.1.7-release.exe will work on Windows8 Developer Preview and will import the CISCO .pcf file just a David Butchart said.

Thank you David!

Friday, October 07, 2011 1:58 AM
    David Butchart

I am able to connect to VPN through the mentioned software, but unable to access my servers nor via software or browser!

Any hints please?! Thanks!

Sunday, October 09, 2011 9:15 AM
  • Yep, Shrew Soft VPN software, most recent version, is working fine for me on my 32 bit Win8 Dev Build. I used the PCF import facility to import a PCF we had generated before we moved across to AnyConnect.

I'm sure I'm not alone in mentioning this, but as a barely-related aside, it would be wonderful if Windows Phone could add support for IPSec VPNs.

• Edited by Condliffe Monday, October 10, 2011 5:22 PM
    Monday, October 10, 2011 5:21 PM
  • I am able to connect to VPN through the mentioned software, but unable to access my servers nor via software or browser!

Any hints please?! Thanks!

Are you unable to access your servers because of an authentication issue?  Are you being prompted for your username/password?

Enabling 'Digest' authentication may help.

Monday, October 10, 2011 7:40 PM
  • I'm sure I'm not alone in mentioning this, but as a barely-related aside, it would be wonderful if Windows Phone could add support for IPSec VPNs.

Here, here!  Seconded!
    Monday, October 10, 2011 7:42 PM
  • Hi

the same problem on Win 8 Windpad 64bit. Error 442. How can I resolved it. Shrew Soft doesn't work for me. Connect but just after while disconnect.

Thursday, October 13, 2011 8:49 PM
  • The ShrewSoft vpn client worked for me also on Windows 8 64bit.  Thank you very much.
    Fahiym Bakhari
    Saturday, November 05, 2011 3:10 PM
  •  

I was skeptical but gave it a try anyway. Shrewsoft 2.1.7 indeed works after I imported  the Cisco .pcf file.

I expect Microsoft would take care of Cisco VPN by RTM build though. Just like what they did with Win 7

Thank you very much

BTW

- Tried Cisco VPN 5.0.07.0440 64-bit. Got error 442: virtual adapter can not be enabled

- Tried Windows built-in VPN but it didn't work. Nothing happened. No error message. Just no connection.

- Tried Shrewsoft 2.1.7 on Windows 8 Server (Datacenter) beta build 8148 (11/4/2011). It works!!

• Edited by Mr Solo Thursday, November 10, 2011 12:40 AM
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 12:24 AM
  • Hello AlfredBr,

If you haven't already done so, please submit feedback on this VPN issue.

You can submit feedback using the Windows Feedback Tool from the Connect Site associated with your Windows Developer Preview program. If you’re an MSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview.  There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account. If you’re not an MSDN subscriber follow this limited use link to join the Connect program and then follow the steps here

Marilyn
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 11:35 PM
  • Hello Mr Solo,

Could you provide some more details for "Tried Windows built-in VPN but it didn't work. Nothing happened. No error message. Just no connection"?

- What tunnel, auth method etc did you try with built-in VPN client?

- Did you try the built-in client in Network and Sharing Center or the one available in Windows components (CMAK)?

Thanks,

Raman

• Edited by Raman-MSFT Monday, November 28, 2011 7:07 AM
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 1:00 PM
  • Hi Everyone,

Just to update, the legacy Cisco VPN client (5.0.07.0440 for x64, 5.0.07.0410 for x86) is working for some people. You need to apply a small workaround as explained below –

·    Open Registry editor by typingregedit in Run prompt

·    Browse to the Registry Key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\CVirtA

·    Select the DisplayName to modify, and remove the leading characters from the value data upto "%;" i.e.

o    For x86, change the value data from something like "@oem8.inf,%CVirtA_Desc%;Cisco Systems VPN Adapter” to "Cisco Systems VPN Adapter”

o    For x64, change the value data from something like "@oem8.inf,%CVirtA_Desc%;Cisco Systems VPN Adapter for 64-bit Windows” to "Cisco Systems VPN Adapter for 64-bit Windows”

·    Try connecting again

Please do revert back if this solution does not work.

Regards,

Raman

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 1:20 PM
  • It is incredible. It works. Cisko VPV working without any problems now.

Thank You, very much Raman.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 10:52 PM
  • hi, how to use cisco anyconnect vpn  in win8?
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 1:26 PM
  • Look at the post from December 14 regarding the AnyConnect VPN from Cicso and Windows Developer Preview.
    It states the request has been made to Cisco but has not be prioritized.

The post is by: Marcin Latosiewicz
    https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3447688#3447688

Thanks,

Marilyn
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 5:53 PM
  • how to use rtx to send files and pictures in win8?

i can use tencent rtx2010 in win8 ,but i can not send files and pictures

please help ! thanks

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 5:53 AM
  • Hi Raman,

Sorry for the late response. I haven't been back here for a while until today and noticed your post.

For the native VPN I just followed a suggestion posted earlier. Don't remember exactly what I did but it was something like

"Open the Network and Sharing Center, click Set up a new connection or network, click Connect to a workplace and then complete the wizard."

Anyway since ShrewSoft worked with both Windows 8 beta Client and Server for me so I've been happily using it.

I recall with early Windows 7 beta builds I had to download some binaries from Citrix (I think) to get Cisco VPN Client to work.

Regards

Sunday, January 01, 2012 1:11 AM