none
Register SPN for Clustered Instance

Question

• Experts,

I need some help to register SPN for SQL 2012 cluster instance on WIndows 2012 OS. I am confused with so many names for cluster n instances :(

We have two node say SQLNode1 and SQLnode 2 and then we have cluster name SQLNODECLU.

So on this cluster we have 3 instances:

AD object for these instances (Client Access Name): SQL CL1, SQLCL2, SQLCL3

And when i launch cluster manager i see 3 other names for these instances like SQL Server (SQLCLUSTERIns1) and so on for other two.

SO what names should we use while registering SPN usin Setspn command??

Thanks!

Monday, November 18, 2013 4:52 PM

Answers

• Hi ,

According to your description, I move the question to the related forums (SQL HA and DR). It is appropriate and more experts will assist you.

A service principal name (SPN) is the name by which a client uniquely identifies an instance of a service. If you are using Kerberos, we need to make sure that the service principal names are correct in Active Directory and that SQL Server is registering them correctly.

The SQL Server Network Interface library successfully registered the Service Principal Name (SPN) for the SQL Server service. You can run the following SETSPN command:
    setspn -A MSSQLSvc/<FQDN> <SQL_Service_Account>

For example, if MySQLServer.MyDomain.com is running under the domain user account SQLSVC, where MySQLServer.MyDomain.com is the name of the instance of SQL Server  that is clustered, run the following command:
    setspn -A MSSQLSvc/MySQLServer.MyDomain.com SQLSVC

For more information, you can review the following article.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms191153(v=sql.105).aspx

Thanks,
    Sofiya Li

Sofiya Li
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, November 21, 2013 3:14 AM