none
Excel 2013 templates offline installation

Question

• Hi,

I'm aware that Microsoft has an update/addin packet "Office Developer Tools" as a web installer. Where can I find the full packet? I can't use web installer due to huge security systems (basically the whole Internet access is blocked) here, so I'm basically forced to find the offline installer - I do have admin rights.

The actual problem I'm trying to solve is that I have Visual Studio 2012 and Office 2013, but Visual Studio has only Office 2010 templates and I don't have Office 2010 on my computer. Office Developer Tools are installed, as is update 2 for Visual Studio, but Visual Studio doesn't show the Office 2013 templates. The best answer I've got is that I should have Silverlight installed too, but I have that one installed too.

Any idea what is wrong here and if the reinstall helps, how do I download the full installation package?

Wednesday, July 03, 2013 11:06 AM

Answers

• The answer was to download the 93kB installer and when it began to install, it had links to the downloads - downloading that one solved the problem i.e. we knew where to get the offline installer after that.

After re-installing from that packet it solved the issue.
    Thursday, July 04, 2013 4:58 PM

All replies

• Hi KilpAr,

I've seen an external blog post (http://jamestsai.net/Blog/post/Offline-install-of-Office-Developer-Tools-for-Visual-Studio-2012.aspx) talk about how to get the tools without WebPI -- but I have not tried this method myself.

Note that another thing you could do is download Visual Studio 2013 Preview (see http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vsto/archive/2013/06/27/announcing-visual-studio-2013-preview-and-net-4-5-1-support.aspx), which includes both sets of templates out-of-the-box.

Hope this helps,

- Michael

Michael Zlatkovsky | Program Manager, Visual Studio Tools for Office & Apps for Office

Thursday, July 04, 2013 12:55 AM
  • Thanks for the answer. While it helped me to get the templates to Visual Studio 2013, it didn't install them to VS2012. Is there any way I could export and import those templates to VS2012?
    Thursday, July 04, 2013 10:07 AM
  • Hi KilpAr,

The templates are tied to functionality that has to be in the product, so I'm not sure that just copying the templates would be enough.

You said Office Developer Tools are installed but the templates are not showing up, right?  Have you tried doing a "repair" from Add/Remove Programs on "Microsoft Office Developer Tools for Visual Studio 2012"?  I have not heard of anyone else reporting this issue, so it feel like a one-off error that repair would hopefully fix.

Best of luck!

- Michael

Michael Zlatkovsky | Program Manager, Visual Studio Tools for Office & Apps for Office

Thursday, July 04, 2013 4:49 PM
  • The answer was to download the 93kB installer and when it began to install, it had links to the downloads - downloading that one solved the problem i.e. we knew where to get the offline installer after that.

After re-installing from that packet it solved the issue.
    Thursday, July 04, 2013 4:58 PM
  • Excellent.  Glad to hear it worked!

Thursday, July 04, 2013 7:37 PM