none
Backup / Restore Problem

Question

• I currently have 2 servers running on WebSitePanel. Both are doing OK. The small problem that I have is that I would like to move a few sites from SERVER 1 to SERVER 2.

So to me the obvious solution is to just backup the entire site and restore it again. Well... I did backup what I needed to backup but my problem comes when I need to restore the backup. What should I do? Must I create the exact same space and etc in order to restore it on the other server? Or how should I go about it? There's not much documentation on what I should do.

Also the other day, I got so very annoyed, I just backup the entire server using the backup from "My Server". Now when I try to restore it, it seems that I could not do so. Where should I actually put the backup file (the one with the extension .wspak). I tried putting it in the root and a lot more other folders and restore but every time I click on "Restore", it would say that I'm done within 2 seconds. I'm sure something is wrong here. I'm sure either I installed something incorrectly or I did a mistake somewhere.

Can someone help me out here? What did I do wrong and what should I actually do to get the site restored? Did I backup everything correctly?

Please help!!!

Thursday, August 19, 2010 8:13 AM

Answers

• In order to migrate sites to another server using WSP backup/restore functionality the following trick exists:

1. Do "Server backup" of the source server

2. Install "WSP Server" agent on the destination server.

3. Open source server properties in WSP and change its URL to the agent installed on destination server.

4. Do "Server restore" - sites will be re-created on the destination server though WSP thinks its original server.

It's unsupported trick, so do it on your own risk.

Feodor Fitsner
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 7:28 PM

All replies

• In order to migrate sites to another server using WSP backup/restore functionality the following trick exists:

1. Do "Server backup" of the source server

2. Install "WSP Server" agent on the destination server.

3. Open source server properties in WSP and change its URL to the agent installed on destination server.

4. Do "Server restore" - sites will be re-created on the destination server though WSP thinks its original server.

It's unsupported trick, so do it on your own risk.

Feodor Fitsner
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 7:28 PM
  • Hi Feodor,

Thanks for answering this. Here's my next part of it. How do you backup and restore individual accounts?\

Would be nice to get to know how to do that as well.

Thank you.

Regards,

Aaron O.

Friday, August 20, 2010 6:42 PM
  • We disabled an ability to backup/restore individual accounts.
    Feodor Fitsner
    Monday, August 23, 2010 11:26 PM
  • feodor, during backup, BackupCatalog.xml is beeing created.

doing restore your way described, wont there packageID and serviceID wrong linked ?
    websites would maybe recreated, but in website sql database, relations are wrong afterwards, not ?

i was just thinking of creating backup files, then change xml file manually to the correct packageID and serviceID....

during restore, websitepanel normaly restore to the same itemID as before? or allocate the next available in table items ?

Friday, January 21, 2011 12:17 AM