Unable to install Office 2010

Question

• Hello

I'm trying to install Office 2010 on my windows 8 developer preview.  at 80 % of the installation, the bar decrease and then I receive an error saying that there has been an error installing Office 2010. 

Gaetan Labrecque
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:23 PM

Answers

All replies

• I was able to install Office 2010 Professional Plus without any issues. I would verify that the installation source is good. It could be something a simple as a bad disk.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:43 PM
  • Installing x86 version worked out of the box with me.

To install the x64 version, I first needed to uninstall the powerpoint viewer but it worked.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:46 PM
  • I am having the exact same issue on Win8 x86 with Office 2010 Pro Plus on a Fujitsu Q550.
    If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 4:12 PM
  • which error message do you both get? Do you have any error code or log to share?
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 4:13 PM
  • I was just able to complete a custom install with ONLY WORD, EXCEL, OUTLOOK, ONENOTE, AND VISUAL BASIC FOR APPLICATIONS. The problem must lay with one of the other Office components. I was not getting a specific error before, just a message that the install failed.
    If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".
    • Edited by David Kozera Wednesday, September 14, 2011 4:21 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 4:21 PM
  • I was only able to get Office 2010 to install after a fresh reboot. If I let the PC go for a while before installing it, it would fail like above. Whether it's due to windows updates or something causing a conflict, who knows...I didn't take much notice at that point.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:35 AM
  • Office 2010 is supposed to work and (surprise! :)) gets a lot of use inside Microsoft.  We will continue to monitor reports of it failing to install to diagnose any issues.  Thanks for reporting it!

Thursday, September 15, 2011 7:49 PM
  • The x64 version of Professional Plus worked for me. It depends on what architecture you're using and what version of office.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:08 PM
  • Get exactly this issue. Installing x86 Office 2010 on x64 Windows 8
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 6:45 AM
  • Which error message do you get? Look for log fiels in the temp folder and upload them.
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Thursday, September 22, 2011 5:54 PM
  • I copied the files for MS Office Student 2010 to a pen drive and installed Word and Excel. The OS and Office are installed on a paltry 16 gb ssd.  Office launches VERY quickly.
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 9:37 PM
  • Geatan,

The Office 2010 I have wouldn't work either.  I found that I can only get a clean install from it on my HP with the Quad Core processor.  I did however find that My Office 2006, 2003, XP (2002) installs all ran properly on any PC I've loaded with W 8 Developer. So far that is.

Jerry Babiome
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 11:01 PM
  • I have the x64 version of Office 2010 Professional Plus, and it installs without issues (both my bare-metal install and my two x64 VMs; one each in VirtualBox and VMware, as my Celeron DC E3400 doesn't support Hyper-V).  It also *runs* without issues (and especially Word and Outlook - Word I use for documentation, and Outlook I use for e-mail; without this tag-team, I may as well be a dead duck).  While it isn't supposed to be, this Developer Preview is certainly usable enough in a non-enterprise setting - if only the first public beta is this stable.
    Monday, September 26, 2011 4:04 AM
  • Please read to this blog post Troubleshooting Office installation failures  and this KB article How to use a setup log file to troubleshoot setup problems in Office to find out how you could troubleshoot your Office setup.
    Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...
    Saturday, October 22, 2011 7:30 AM
  • Yeah but any Click-To-Run based version of Office 2010 does not work yet with Windows 8. This should be rectified as soon as possible. Office Home & Student 2010, Home and Business 2010, Starter 2010 and trial versions of Office 2010 are all Click-To-Run based and cannot be installed on Windows 8.
    Sunday, October 23, 2011 6:02 AM