none
Device emulator on windows 7: virtual network driver problem

Question

• I am running Device Emulator v3 on Windows 7 (build 7100) and have problems connecting the virtual device to the network. (Missing driver)

The suggested solution is to install Virtual PC 2007 as this install includes the required driver, but this breaks "Windows Virtual PC" which I need to run virtual xp.
    Is the virtual network driver available as a stand-alone install anywhere?

Friday, May 15, 2009 2:55 PM

Answers

• I am running Device Emulator v3 on Windows 7 (build 7100) and have problems connecting the virtual device to the network. (Missing driver)

The suggested solution is to install Virtual PC 2007 as this install includes the required driver, but this breaks "Windows Virtual PC" which I need to run virtual xp.

You might find this article on the subject by Brian Peek helpful: http://www.brianpeek.com/blog/archive/2009/05/02/windows-virtual-pc-and-the-microsoft-device-emulator.aspx 

Also give Microsoft feedback about the issue - hopefully it's not too late for it to be fixed before the release.
    • Marked as answer by frot Tuesday, May 19, 2009 12:26 PM
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 12:06 PM

All replies

You might find this article on the subject by Brian Peek helpful: http://www.brianpeek.com/blog/archive/2009/05/02/windows-virtual-pc-and-the-microsoft-device-emulator.aspx 

Also give Microsoft feedback about the issue - hopefully it's not too late for it to be fixed before the release.
    • Marked as answer by frot Tuesday, May 19, 2009 12:26 PM
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 12:06 PM
  • Sorry but Windows 7 hasn't been released yet, so I don't think there is much we can help you here. I suggest you submit a feedback for Windows 7 regarding this issue.
    It will become YOUR problem when it is released. The virtual network stack for the device emulator isn't compatible with Windows Virtual PC, and you can't install Virtual PC 2007 on Windows 7. Once Windows 7 gets released, what will be your answer?

As for me, I have followed the excellent article from Brian Peek, but it does not work for me. I can see the "Virtual Machine Network Services" active under my network card's properties, I have checked the "Enable NE2000 PCMCIA network adapter" under the device emulator options. I can't connect the device to the net, "craddled" or not.

I tried disabling "Enable advanced network functionality" under USB to PC settings on the device, but it gives an error: "Failed to disable RNDIS to use serial".
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 12:54 PM
  • OK, Windows 7 is now released and this is still a problem. I'm going to try Brian's work-around but yeesh!
    Saturday, August 08, 2009 6:45 PM
  • Installing that on my VPC worked for me. There are a lot of hoops to jump through to get the (relatively small) files you need. Aside from that, the most difficult part was trying to determine if he wanted me to install it on the host machine or the VPC (turns out, it's the VPC). If I could attach the necessary files here, I would.
    Saturday, August 08, 2009 7:20 PM
  • Sorry Kevin, Brian's article did not help. Couldn't run the command "vpc.exe /c" because strangely this particular command line switch made it go straight to exit! Wonder whether any one else has a similar experience with Windows 7 (Ultimate) RTM on a notebook that Intel Processor Identification utility validates as satisfactory.
    Saturday, September 05, 2009 11:48 PM
  • Installing that on my VPC worked for me. There are a lot of hoops to jump through to get the (relatively small) files you need. Aside from that, the most difficult part was trying to determine if he wanted me to install it on the host machine or the VPC (turns out, it's the VPC). If I could attach the necessary files here, I would.

Okay, Mike Yeager, I am trying to follow BrianPeek.com blog suggestion on getting this to work, but it is not working for me.  When you said, "...the most difficult part was trying to determine if he wanted me to install it on the host machine or the VPC (turns out, it's the VPC)...", what exactly do you mean?

Should I be opening the command prompt in the VPC (and copying the renamed vpc.exe to the VPC)?  How exactly do I do that?
    Friday, November 13, 2009 5:36 PM
  • Brian Peek's tip works great.

Some additional info:

After you install the Virtual Machine Network Services, as described in Brian's tip, you may want to configure the emulator itself:

Let's take the WM6 Pro device as an example. Go to Windows -> Settings -> Network Cards -> set the "My network card connects to:" dropdown to "The Internet" -> tap OK. Then, you should be back at the Settings windows, tap "Connections" -> "Set up my proxy server" and check the "This network connects to the Internet" -> tap OK. Then, back in the Connections window, pick the "Advanced" tab -> "Select Networks" button -> let both dropdowns as "My work Network", tap OK and tap OK again.

In the Device Emulator window, go to File -> Configure -> Network tab -> check the "Enable NE2000 PCMCIA network adapter and bind to:" and pick "Connected network card" -> OK.

Finally, do a File -> Reset -> Soft.

The emulator should behave as any other device plugged to your network. The steps described here are just a common configuration I usually do, and works for a simple networking environment with DHCP. If the steps above don't work for you then it's better to get in touch with your network admin and double check the settings. You can easily tell if the device emulator could successfully bind to your network card by looking the Connectivity icon (two arrows point left and right), when it is not connected there will be an X over the arrows and when it is connected there will be just the arrows, tap it to read its status.

Monday, April 12, 2010 11:08 PM
  • I followed all the steps, but when I try to Enable NE2000 PCMCIA network adapter and bind to connected network card,  I still get an error "No VPC network adapters enumerated or no host network adapter with provided MAC address found".  And the drop down for Connected Network Card is grayed out.
    Thursday, June 17, 2010 3:11 PM
  • I've upgraded Vista to W7 Ultimate. I had to uninstall previously Virtual PC 2007 as required.

When I began to play with Device Emulator I had the network adapter problem. Then I reinstalled Virtual PC 2007 under W7 and it works perfectly and Device Emulator recognizes the drivers. Don't ask me why MS says it doesn't under W7

Thursday, July 22, 2010 10:33 PM
  • If you've gotten far enough to get to Enable NE2000 PCMCIA network adapter, there's an alternate path to access it through Visual Studio.

In Visual Studio, open Tools > Options... > Device Tools > Devices.

Select your platform device emulator.

Click the Properties button to the right of the devices list.

Click the Emulator Options... button at the bottom of the Properties window.

The Emulator Properties window looks like the one you open from the emulator but behaves differently , allowing you to get to some critical settings. Select the Network tab. In my case, the emulator's (Configure...) Emulator Properties window had most of the controls grayed out, but in the VS Options Emulator Properties window, I could select the host PC's network adapters.

Word of warning: it doesn't work with wireless network adapters. Well, not with my wireless adapter, anyway, which is probably why the "Connected network card" setting wouldn't work on my machine. I had to select the physical Ethernet adapter before it would connect properly. Major PITA.

After you identify the adapter and save your settings, reset the emulator.

Thursday, December 02, 2010 10:52 PM
  • i think your problems have same solutions. you need to install first the ms loopback adapter so your emulator will work properly

Janitor

• Proposed as answer by Jason Perez Saturday, September 08, 2012 11:52 AM
    Saturday, September 08, 2012 11:52 AM
  • Very good Rui Holdorf

Your additional info work for me!

Tks!

Gilberto Tezini - MCP ASP.NET (C#/VB.NET) / MCTS Dynamics CRM - (http://gtezini.blogspot.com)

Monday, September 17, 2012 3:51 PM