Can I run a 16-bit app on Windows Vista?

Question

• Hello,

The title says it!

Thanks.
    Sunday, August 21, 2005 9:32 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Windows Vista does not include a 16-bit subsystem. So you will not be able to run 16-bit applications on Windows Vista.

Regards,
    Vikram
    Sunday, August 21, 2005 4:09 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Windows Vista does not include a 16-bit subsystem. So you will not be able to run 16-bit applications on Windows Vista.

Regards,
    Vikram
    Sunday, August 21, 2005 4:09 PM
  • Thanks for your reply.

Will be there anyway to run it? (For example by another program...)
    Monday, August 22, 2005 4:49 AM
  • I have another related question Smile

Will MS support win32 apps on the operating system that comes after Vista?

Thanks
    Monday, August 22, 2005 4:53 AM
  • Hi,

I would believe the answer for the 32-bit apps support to be yes. That is because they are still selling a 32-bit OS and they have a 32-bit version of Vista. Probably the next OS after Vista will be pure 64-bit that will run 32-bit apps using the WOW layer.

I would however prefer someone from Microsoft to confirm the answer to this questions.

Regards,
    Vikram
    Tuesday, August 23, 2005 1:05 AM
  • Windows Vista will come in three architecture flavors: a 32bit version, a 64bit version for x86 with 64bit extensions, and a severly limited version for 64bit itanium.

Vista 32bit will run 32bit apps natively.

Vista 64bit for x86 with 64bit extensions will run 64bit apps natively and 32bit apps through WOW. Note that this will not run full emulation, but will access the 32bit capabilities inherent in the processors. WOW is still needed, however, since Vista64 will have a 64bit core.

Vista 64bit for Itanium will not run 32bit apps at all, AFAIK. If it does, it will be under full emulation of a 32bit x86 processor.
    Friday, September 16, 2005 3:46 PM
  • To bring things back to 16 bit, on a 64 bit vista system will Virtual PC run the 16 bit OS's, or even the 32 bit OS's?

It does bring up another odd question. On a 64 bit system running 32 bit vista, will Virtual PC be able to run 64 vista in a virtual machine?

Kevin
    Tuesday, September 20, 2005 3:51 PM
  • VirtualPC is the only way to run 16 bit apps on Win64, and, IIRC, all versions of Vista.  VirtualPC will run any OS you install on it, so you can run DOS 3.3 on it :-)

-Kev
    Tuesday, November 08, 2005 5:31 PM
  • Is there anywhere that this can be implicitly sited in the VISTA info?  Like a link to a technical article or something of that nature?

Thanks!
    Tuesday, November 08, 2005 7:53 PM
  • Hi,

As of now Virtual PC cannot be installed on a 64-bit OS. Virtual Server 2005 SP1 which will be released soon supports 64-bit Windows as the host OS.

Regards,

Vikram

Wednesday, November 09, 2005 11:56 AM
  • Just a bit of feedback to some of the comments on this thread.  I've been using a 16-bit accounting system for very specific, chosen reasons for about 18 years.  I used Vista RC1 for about a year and tested the running of this application with that in mind.  I'm currently looking at a new system build based on an Intel 45nm chip and Vista 64.  I can tell you that the 16-bit app did load and operate just fine under RC1.  I'm currently looking at some of the emulation possibilities such as DOSBox et al under Vista 64.

jl

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 2:00 PM
  • jblynch4 said:

Just a bit of feedback to some of the comments on this thread.  I've been using a 16-bit accounting system for very specific, chosen reasons for about 18 years.  I used Vista RC1 for about a year and tested the running of this application with that in mind.  I'm currently looking at a new system build based on an Intel 45nm chip and Vista 64.  I can tell you that the 16-bit app did load and operate just fine under RC1.  I'm currently looking at some of the emulation possibilities such as DOSBox et al under Vista 64.

jl

This reply does come quite late, but curious about if you got your 16 bit apps working fine with Vista Gold & and Vista Support Pack 1.  MS seems to say 16 bit apps are not supported in 64 bit "However, the kernel does not support 16-bit applications, 32-bit installers, and 32-bit kernel mode drivers." -> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb756962.aspx

Monday, December 29, 2008 7:47 AM
  • Instead of installing the complete OS on a virtual machine, get DOSBox. This is a 32 bit application and is capable or running ur 16 bit applications

Piyush Soni,Tata Consultancy Services, India
    • Proposed as answer by Surfme Monday, January 18, 2010 8:51 AM
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 6:50 PM