none
CSG

Question

• hello,

I'm beginner with Microsoft robotics and i have some question:

- Is it possible represent lines and curves? Is there any way to simulate a robot drills and digs into a stone (CSG: constructive solid geometry)?

- is it possible combine Microsoft robotics with any software (free or commercial) or another 3d engine for make the anterior simulation?

- is there some document that describes or specifics the characteristics of the 3d engine that use Microsoft robotics studio?

regards and thanks for your time.
    Sunday, December 14, 2008 1:37 PM

Answers

• > - Is it possible represent lines and curves? Is there any way to simulate a robot drills and digs into a stone (CSG: constructive solid geometry)?

MRDS does not support CSG. The primary complication is not a graphical issue, but more of a physics / collision detection issue. Supporting CSG would require us to regenerate the collision representation of the mesh whenever it changes. This is further complicated from the fact that PhysX does not support triangle-triangle collision detection for moving objects.

We would need to use some convex decomposition algorithm (ie, decompose the arbitrary triangle mesh into convex hulls) to support CSG. We would also need to do this in real time while the simulation is running. These complexities are the primary reasons why CSG is not supported.

> - is it possible combine Microsoft robotics with any software (free or commercial) or another 3d engine for make the anterior simulation?

I am not aware of any simulation software for anterior simulation that does more than *just* anterior simulation. I.e., clearly there is simulation software for this for medical purposes, but I am not aware of general case simulation software that also includes the ability for anterior simulation.

> - is there some document that describes or specifics the characteristics of the 3d engine that use Microsoft robotics studio?

We use NVIDIA PhysX for physical simulation and XNA for rendering purposes. The primary purpose of the engine is to make is easy (or at least easier) to develop robotics algorithms than if you were using these packages yourself.
    Monday, December 15, 2008 2:20 AM