Creating a GUI with Visual Basic

Question

•        I am a high school student in San Antonio, TX, and I am involved with a mentorship at a very prestigious company called Southwest Research Institute.  My project is creating a GUI for a BASIC Stamp 2 microcontroller.  I just have a few questions about VB Express before I download it.

1) Can VB Express be used to create a GUI?

2) Can VB Express link DLL files?  I must include a Tokenizer into my code in order to send data to the microcontroller, and the Tokenizer is in DLL format.

3) Can VB Express send packet data through a COM (Serial) port?

Thank you for you time.

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 11:33 PM

Answers

• Since VB Express has .NET 2.0, yes you can use the SerialPort class (new in .NET 2.0) to access a COM port of your choice

As for "linking" DLL files, depends - you can use PInvoke to invoke Windows files to access methods etc...

As long as you have some wrapper or exposure of methods on the Dll to be called from applications, then yes you can do this I believe

As for creating a GUI, what exactly do you mean? A windows application? yes, Visual Studio can do this so you can create a GUI based application.

You will find everything you need to know with these forums, as well as the great resource on MSDN library.

I hope it helps!

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 11:52 PM

All replies

• Since VB Express has .NET 2.0, yes you can use the SerialPort class (new in .NET 2.0) to access a COM port of your choice

As for "linking" DLL files, depends - you can use PInvoke to invoke Windows files to access methods etc...

As long as you have some wrapper or exposure of methods on the Dll to be called from applications, then yes you can do this I believe

As for creating a GUI, what exactly do you mean? A windows application? yes, Visual Studio can do this so you can create a GUI based application.

You will find everything you need to know with these forums, as well as the great resource on MSDN library.

I hope it helps!

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 11:52 PM
  •  Cody Evans wrote:

...  My project is creating a GUI for a BASIC Stamp 2 microcontroller.  I just have a few questions about VB Express before I download it.

1) Can VB Express be used to create a GUI?

Cody,

Are you planning to interact as a USER, via the GUI you are writing, in a serial communications with a PBasic program running on the BS2? Or, are you wanting to create (via the GUI) your own Basic Stamp Editor / Development System (programming system similar to Parallax's) for the BS2 using VBasic (or other VS Express language) and the Parallax PBasic Tokenizer?

2) Can VB Express link DLL files?  I must include a Tokenizer into my code in order to send data to the microcontroller, and the Tokenizer is in DLL format.

To just "send data" to a program running on the BS2 (as distinct from sending PBasic program tokens to actually program the BS2), you only need to use serial communications between your PC's program (anything that can send/receive serial data via a COM port) and the BS2's PBasic program. No Tokenizer is needed for that serial communications.

ftl

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 4:34 AM