none
Total uninstallation of SQL server 2008

Question

• I have win 8 pro OS. and i was installing sql server 2008 and during the installing process at the very last step(when the installer was working, I think the progress bar was at its last step), due to power failure the installation failed. So I again reinstalled the sql server by uninstalling the previously incomplete installation, but now cannot install it. Even the installation dialog fails to load, Cannot do new installation.
    Sunday, August 18, 2013 6:21 AM

All replies

• Ca you refer to this link for uninstallation

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/955499

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

Sunday, August 18, 2013 6:33 AM
  • Hello,

Please try to manually uninstall SQL Server with the following resource:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sqlexpress/thread/4d6158a1-b601-428c-aad4-a1716e76de1a 

Try a manual removal as explained by YoYo Yu (MSFT) on her second post of that thread.

Hope this helps.  

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Sunday, August 18, 2013 3:37 PM
  • Hi Sudeep,

To work around this issue, when you prepare to re-install SQL Server, and we suggest you can try the following steps:
        1. Uninstall the existing SQL Server 2008 and all the components from the control panel.
        2. Backup the registry.
        3. Delete the following keys in regedit:
        --HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server
        --HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer
        4. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall and delete all the sub-keys referencing SQL Server.
        5. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services and delete all the keys referencing SQL Server.
        6. Rename all the SQL Server folders in the computer.
        7. Reboot the machine.
        8. Download and install Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 from here.
        9. Download and install Windows Installer 4.5 from here.
        10. Check if the computer has Visual Studio 2008. If so, you need to install Visual Studio 2008 SP1. For more information, please see here.
        11. If you need to install SQL Server 2008 Express with Advanced Services, you can download from here and re-install it as suggested in this blog.

In addition, on the Server Configuration page, please choose a local administrator or domain user account for all of these SQL Server services, such as administrator or <DomainName>/<UserName>.

If this not work, could you please help us to collect the detailed error message and the following error log? It is very useful for our research.
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Summary.txt.
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\<YYYYMMDD_HHMM>\Detail.txt

For more information, please visit the following links:
    How to: Uninstall an Existing Instance of SQL Server (Setup): http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143412.aspx
    A similar thread: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-us/sqlexpress/thread/B27D77D9-E14C-47FC-8459-7E9529623547

If you have any more questions, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks,
    Sofiya Li

Sofiya Li
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, August 19, 2013 1:27 AM
  • Would you please check-out 

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ai/archive/2012/10/12/recovering-from-sql-server-upgrade-failure.aspx

FAQ
    ----
    Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you.
    This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    View Ahmed Ibrahim's profile on LinkedIn

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 11:21 PM
  • Thanks all the people for reply.

The problem is that when I click the setup button, a mere glimpse of command prompt flashes on the screen and vanishes, so no further advancement can be gained.

Even the setup doesn't run. But I can install other software easily, only sql server installer is not running. Also the sql server installer has no problem, as i tried the same setup package to install in other computers.

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 11:26 AM
  • Hello,

Is the .NET Framework 3.5 enabled? Use Control Panel -> Programs and Features to enable it.

Could you try to disable any antivirus/security software?

Is the drive formatted NTFS? How much free space the disk drive has?

Coud you please verify the WMI repository is consistent by running the following command?

winmgmt /verifyrepository

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 1:16 PM
  • Thanks for reply.

It's all done. But its not working.

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 2:02 PM
  • Hello,

Could you try to run setup with the “Run as Administrator” option?

Do you have any FAT or Unix/Linux partition on the same computer? All disks are NTFS?

Could you try to disable .NET Framework 3.5 and enable it again? Do you receive any error when you do this?

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 3:48 PM
  • Yes, I did run the setup with the "Run as Administrator" option and there is no any FAT or Unix/Linux partition and all disks are NTFS, and also tried "disable .NET Framework 3.5 and enable it again" and didn't receive any error.

But not working.

Thursday, August 22, 2013 4:12 AM
  • Can you share sqlsetup.log

under %temp% folder ?

FAQ
    ----
    Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you.
    This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    View Ahmed Ibrahim's profile on LinkedIn

Thursday, August 22, 2013 5:48 AM
  • I will attach the log. But can't find the attachment option here, so i am giving you the skydrive address.

http://sdrv.ms/14FpJh8

Thursday, August 22, 2013 6:40 AM