none
Int.Parse is not supported by LINQ to Entities

Question

• var result = from m in db.BDClassInfo
                     join n in db.BDProfessionInfo on m.ProfessionInfoKey equals n.ProfessionInfoKey
                     join o in db.BDInstitute on n.InstituteKey equals o.InstituteKey
                     where o.InstituteKey == instituteKey
                     && int.Parse(m.EntranceYear) + n.LearnLen > int.Parse(currentTerm.TermNo.Substring(0, 4))
                     select new { m, n.ProfessionInfoName, o.InstituteName };

I know that LINQ to Entities does not support Int.Parse function, I want to know is there any solution to solve the problem in other way?

Like the problem above, behind the "where", the function Int.Parse is necessary.

Saturday, January 22, 2011 2:09 PM

Answers

• Hello a4712635,

Welcome to the MSDN Forum.

I think you are right. By testing, I found that fi you use int.Parse, then you will got an exception because Method 'Int32 Parse(System.String)' has no supported translation to SQL.

However, we can use Convert.ToInt32(). It works fine in my programe. In your case, we can modify it to the following:

Convert.ToInt32(m.EntranceYear) + n.LearnLen > Convert.ToInt32(currentTerm.TermNo.Substring(0, 4))

Actually, i also found the difference between Convert.ToInt32() and  int.Parse(). Here they are:

If you've got a string, and you expect it to always be an integer (say, if some web service is handing you an integer in string format), you'd use Int32.Parse(). If you're collecting input from a user, you'd generally user Int32.TryParse(), since it allows you more fine-grained control over the situation when the user enters in invalid input.

Convert.ToInt32() takes an object as its argument, and I believe it invokes Int32.TryParse() when it finds that the object taken as the argument is a string. Convert.ToInt32 also does not throw ArgumentNullException when it's argument is null the way Int32.Parse() does. That also means that Convert.ToInt32() is probably a wee bit slower than Int32.Parse() because it has to ask its argument what it's type is.

If you have any questions please feel free to let us know.

Have a nice day,

Jackie Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 8:20 AM

All replies

• 。。。搞了半天发到中文论坛上来了,我还以为是英文论坛呢
    Saturday, January 22, 2011 2:23 PM
  • Moved to English forums as requested

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Saturday, January 22, 2011 4:14 PM
  • Hello a4712635,

Welcome to the MSDN Forum.

I think you are right. By testing, I found that fi you use int.Parse, then you will got an exception because Method 'Int32 Parse(System.String)' has no supported translation to SQL.

However, we can use Convert.ToInt32(). It works fine in my programe. In your case, we can modify it to the following:

Convert.ToInt32(m.EntranceYear) + n.LearnLen > Convert.ToInt32(currentTerm.TermNo.Substring(0, 4))

Actually, i also found the difference between Convert.ToInt32() and  int.Parse(). Here they are:

If you've got a string, and you expect it to always be an integer (say, if some web service is handing you an integer in string format), you'd use Int32.Parse(). If you're collecting input from a user, you'd generally user Int32.TryParse(), since it allows you more fine-grained control over the situation when the user enters in invalid input.

Convert.ToInt32() takes an object as its argument, and I believe it invokes Int32.TryParse() when it finds that the object taken as the argument is a string. Convert.ToInt32 also does not throw ArgumentNullException when it's argument is null the way Int32.Parse() does. That also means that Convert.ToInt32() is probably a wee bit slower than Int32.Parse() because it has to ask its argument what it's type is.

If you have any questions please feel free to let us know.

Have a nice day,

Jackie Sun [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 8:20 AM
  • Thanks very much!
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 5:45 AM
  • It's my pleasure~ :)
    Jackie Sun [MSFT]

Thursday, February 17, 2011 6:00 AM
  • I tried Convert.ToInt32() today, but there is still an exception :

Unhandled Exception: System.NotSupportedException: LINQ to Entities does not rec
    ognize the method 'Int32 ToInt32(System.String)' method, and this method cannot
    be translated into a store expression.

my code:

var result = from m in db.BDClassInfo
                   join n in db.BDProfessionInfo on m.ProfessionInfoKey equals n.ProfessionInfoKey
                   join o in db.BDInstitute on n.InstituteKey equals o.InstituteKey
                   where o.InstituteKey == "01"
                   && Convert.ToInt32(m.EntranceYear) + n.LearnLen > Convert.ToInt32(currentterm.Substring(0, 4))
                   select new { m, n.ProfessionInfoName, o.InstituteName };

Thursday, February 17, 2011 6:51 AM
  • How about modifing your code like this:

var result = from m in db.BDClassInfo.AsEnumerable() ?

Jackie Sun [MSFT]

Thursday, February 17, 2011 7:02 AM
  • Thank you, AsEnumerable() is OK

What does AsEnumerable() mean?

Thursday, February 17, 2011 7:27 AM
  • :) You are welcome.

Please see this.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb335435.aspx

And in this topic contains a list of CLR methods that can be converted to command tree canonical functions and executed on the server:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb738681.aspx

For CLR methods not on this list, you would have to pull the results down to the client using .AsEnumerable() and execute a LINQ to Objects query.

Thanks,

Jackie Sun [MSFT]

Thursday, February 17, 2011 7:33 AM