none
Windows Media Center has stopped working in Win 7

Question

• Hi -

I'm operating with Win 7 Home Premium.  When I try to start Windows Media Center I get the following message:

"Windows Media Center has stopped working - Windows is looking for a solution to the problem..."

This message goes away after a short while and nothing happens.

I tried to use "SFC /scannow" using administrator priviledges, but it did not run, saying "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested action"

I tried to use the "Turn Windows features on/off" function in Control Panel to reinstall WMC, but when I clicked on the link/button (whatever it's called) it gave me an empty box, so that tool is not working.  Maybe someone has a trick to fix this, too.

I tried to delete the database file in "programdata\Windows\ehome" only to discover that I don't have such a folder. 

I tried to register the following Windows components:

regsvr32.exe atl.dll

C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehSched /unregServer

C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehSched /service

C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehRecvr /unregServer

C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehRecvr /service

C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehRec.exe /unregServer

C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehRec.exe /regserver

C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehmsas.exe /unregServer

C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehmsas.exe /regserver

I also reregistered jscript.dll, vbscript.dll and wmp.dll (e.g. regsvr32 jscript.dll etc.)

Perhaps this is meaningless, but I've had Windows Update try (it claims success each time) to install an update called KB979683 at least 8 or 10 times in the last two (2) days.  Obviously something is goofy here too.

WMC was running fine for the last 6 months up until yesterday.  I upgraded iTunes and Quicktime within the last week or so.  I can't recall if WMC ran successfully after that installation or not. 

I am running a custom built PC and have no TV tuner cards.  I don't want to do a clean install of Win 7 unless there is some simple way that doesn't risk my 350GB of programs and data.  Otherwise, I'm wide open to suggestion. 

Saturday, June 05, 2010 5:04 AM