• Hi,

I am using VS11 Beta to profile a w3wp.exe service as per documentation:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb385759(v=vs.110).aspx

VSPerfCLREnv /GlobalSampleOn
    VSPerfCLREnv /GlobalInteractionOn
    REM Restart the computer and start the service
    VSPerfCmd /Start:Sample /Output:w3wp.exe.vsp /CS
    VSPerfCmd /Attach:w3wp.exe

I did not restart the computer as written in MSDN. Though I fired up ProcExp and I can see my w3wp.exe process has the COR_XXX variables set.

When I run VSPerfCmd Start and Attach, I am able to collect performance data in the output vsp file.

However when I open the vsp file in Visual Studio there is no Tier Interaction results at all. I can see that COR_INTERACTION_PROFILER = 1 is set for w3wp.exe.

Can you please advise how to collect TIP data in VS11?

Thank you,

Martin Kulov
    www.kulov.net

Microsoft Regional Director
    VS ALM MVP, MCT, MCSD, MCPD, INETA Speaker

Monday, March 19, 2012 2:43 AM

Answers

All replies

• Maybe you need to ensure that you used the x86 command line start the x86 profiler tool to profile the x86 process.

Did it told you that the COR_PROFILER environment has some problems?

How about when you using the Visual Studio 2010 environment and tools to profile the target?

Mike Zhang[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

• Marked as answer by Martin Kulov Monday, March 19, 2012 11:36 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Martin Kulov Monday, March 19, 2012 11:36 AM
    • Marked as answer by Martin Kulov Monday, March 19, 2012 11:36 AM
    Monday, March 19, 2012 10:24 AM
  • It is indeed x86 process. Somehow I missed that fact so far.

Should I use the x86 profiler to obtain TIP? I am able to collect sampling and memory profiling data with x64. Is TIP somewhat different?

BTW: I tried manually setting the Environment registry key and it did not pick it up. Do you have any guidance how to set it up properly?

Martin Kulov
    www.kulov.net

Monday, March 19, 2012 11:38 AM
  • Though there's no document I can find, I think it's better to use the corresponding platform application interact with our process.

I saw what you used is the VSPerfCmd, and when you edit the registry, please also ensure you used the correct path, the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wow6432Node" is for your x86 process using.

You also can use this ProcMon tool to monitor if the tool used the registry path you edited: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645, to ensure you have not did a incorrect modification.

And I find the VSPerfASPNETCmd will not need you to config so much things, maybe you can try that tool. 

Best wishes,

Mike Zhang[MSFT]

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 4:56 AM
  • Thanks Mike,

Is there any Wow6432Node key for x86 Windows Services running on x64 OS?

Martin Kulov
    www.kulov.net

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 8:26 AM
  • Based on my experience, there's no such path for the Windows Services. It is only for application.

The switch of the profiler tool will help you modify the registry for your work, and after each modification, you will need the service reboot. From the message in the Console Window after execute the command, it is just told us it will need the service detect the new settings, but not told us it will detect the new settings is the environment, the environment is for the Command Line Window:

[This sets up the environment variables necessary in that cmd window and any app launched from that window will inherit those environment variables and can be profiled.]

Mike Zhang[MSFT]

• Marked as answer by Martin Kulov Tuesday, March 20, 2012 9:40 AM
    Tuesday, March 20, 2012 9:36 AM