none
Dataset parameter is not refreshed

Question

• I have a report that contains a Dataset parameter and it is being shown in the form of a combo-list.

The Report Viewer is loaded in an instance of the application. The data in the database is being updated by another instance of the application. When the "Refresh" button in the Report viewer was clicked, the contents in the Report Viewer is updated accordingly but the dataset which the combo-list was based on was not refreshed. 

Appreciate your help ,thanks

Raymond

Tuesday, September 03, 2013 8:30 AM

Answers

• Hi Raymond,

According to the description, I understand that you have a report with parameters that retrieve values from a dataset query. After the source data of the dataset is changed, when clicking the “Refresh” button in the Report Viewer, the report data is updated, while the drop-down list of the parameter is not refreshed.

By default SQL Server Reporting Service will create files with extension .rdl.data to cache data. This cache data is used when running a report preview next time. This has the benefit of speeding up report development, while it does cause a problem when we want to test changing data.

When we change the CacheDataForPreview option to false as Nilima posted, it’s possible that the cache data still keeps the former data file when you rerun the previous report. In this case, I suggest to delete the cache data file of the report. We can find the file with extension .rdl.data in the same folder as the RDL file under the project folder. After deleting the cache data, we should get the parameter available values refreshed when running the report again.

Please refer to the link: http://www.wiseowl.co.uk/blog/s313/data-cache.htm

If you need more assistance, please feel free to let me know.

Regards,
    Heidi Duan

Monday, September 09, 2013 7:54 AM

All replies

• 

BIDs uses a data cache when designing Reporting Services reports to speed up your development. Long round trips for parameters and data are eliminated, improving your design-peview-design-preview iterations. That’s speedy.

But if the data changes on the back-end and you really want to see it, you can turn this off

Find your config file that controls the Report Designer in BIDS. For SQL Server 2008 SSRS, this should be:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies\RSReportDesigner.config

Change CacheDataForPreview to “false

Please let me know if this works for you or not.

Nilima

Tuesday, September 03, 2013 9:29 AM
  • Hi Nilima,

The solution you suggested did not work, the contents in the DataSet combo-list is not refresh when the 'Refresh' button in the Report Viewer is clicked.

Raymond

Friday, September 06, 2013 2:34 AM
  • Raymond

Let me clarify it, you click onto chose a parameter  but you get the data that is not updated? Just did some testing , cannot reproduce the problem.

Best Regards,Uri Dimant SQL Server MVP, http://sqlblog.com/blogs/uri_dimant/

MS SQL optimization: MS SQL Development and Optimization
    MS SQL Blog: Large scale of database and data cleansing
    Remote DBA Services: Improves MS SQL Database Performance

Friday, September 06, 2013 5:07 AM
  • Hi Raymond,

According to the description, I understand that you have a report with parameters that retrieve values from a dataset query. After the source data of the dataset is changed, when clicking the “Refresh” button in the Report Viewer, the report data is updated, while the drop-down list of the parameter is not refreshed.

By default SQL Server Reporting Service will create files with extension .rdl.data to cache data. This cache data is used when running a report preview next time. This has the benefit of speeding up report development, while it does cause a problem when we want to test changing data.

When we change the CacheDataForPreview option to false as Nilima posted, it’s possible that the cache data still keeps the former data file when you rerun the previous report. In this case, I suggest to delete the cache data file of the report. We can find the file with extension .rdl.data in the same folder as the RDL file under the project folder. After deleting the cache data, we should get the parameter available values refreshed when running the report again.

Please refer to the link: http://www.wiseowl.co.uk/blog/s313/data-cache.htm

If you need more assistance, please feel free to let me know.

Regards,
    Heidi Duan

Monday, September 09, 2013 7:54 AM