none
Disabling "You must restart your computer to apply these changes" message

Question

• Hey all,

I am getting this message when our system starts up.  Typically it seems to happen when the system is booted with a new piece of hardware attached.  Typically this is a different brand of USB stick or a new mouse.  I assume it throws this message up after the PnP driver is loaded.  The system is running EWF so unless a script is run to commit the changes and then reboot the display the error will be persistent until the new hardware is removed.

Is there a way to disable to message totally?  IMO it doesn't belong on an embedded system.

Thanks!

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 7:53 PM

Answers

• It is part of the PnP architecture. You could block the message with Messag Box Default Reply. The simple solution is to just disable EWF, plug in the device and let the driver load, and then re-enable EWF.

-Sean

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

• Marked as answer by martinarcher24 Thursday, November 01, 2012 2:15 PM
    Tuesday, October 30, 2012 9:19 PM

All replies

• It is part of the PnP architecture. You could block the message with Messag Box Default Reply. The simple solution is to just disable EWF, plug in the device and let the driver load, and then re-enable EWF.

-Sean

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

• Marked as answer by martinarcher24 Thursday, November 01, 2012 2:15 PM
    Tuesday, October 30, 2012 9:19 PM
  • Thanks Sean.  I was afraid that was the answer.  

I think we might end up with an image that blocks the messages using Message Box Default Reply.  I'm just nervous that if one of our running applications generates a useful error if a problem is experience it will be hard to diagnose the issue without seeing the generated error in the field.

Thanks!

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 2:53 PM
  • That is a draw back with MBDR. There error will be sent to the even log, but if EWF is protecting it, the information can get lost a on a reboot. I tend to stear people to FBWF, which provides some flexibility.

-Sean

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 3:33 PM
  • Thanks Sean.  That is certainly an advantage of FBWR over EWF.
    Thursday, November 01, 2012 2:15 PM
  • In the future with WES8, the UWF is more like FBWF so it is better to start looking at architecting the system with the write-through section concept.

-Sean

Thursday, November 01, 2012 4:55 PM
  • Good advice.  It might be a bit late for our project, but hopefully I'll be able to move to WES8 in the future.  When is WES8 available?
    Thursday, November 01, 2012 7:40 PM
  • The launch date is not known. Hopefully, it will be available early next year.

-Sean

Friday, November 02, 2012 4:32 AM