Reporting services - Add-in for sharepoint - Fails with "error status: 1603."

Question

• Hi, I have installed Denali CTP3 and sharepoint .Then I installed 

"Reporting services – sharepoint" in integrated mode successfully. However when I got to "Reporting services - Add-in for sharepoint" , the installation aborted with following

MSI (s) (68:04) [13:20:51:784]: Note: 1: 1708  

MSI (s) (68:04) [13:20:51:784]: Product: Microsoft SQL Server "Denali" RS Add-in for SharePoint CTP3 -- Installation failed. 

MSI (s) (68:04) [13:20:51:784]: Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: Microsoft SQL Server "Denali" RS Add-in for SharePoint CTP3. Product Version: 11.0.1440.19. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation. Installation success or error status: 1603. 

Any ideas ....? 

Thanks 

Hi, I found something more in the logs...seems to be coming from RSSP_CAInstall_64

MSI (s) (AC:30) [15:11:31:501]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\Windows\Installer\MSIC81F.tmp, Entrypoint: RSCustomActionInstall

CA MSG : Running RSCustomAction

CA MSG : Launching C:\Users\rambal\AppData\Local\Temp\rsCustomAction.exe with command line parameter /i

CA MSG : rsCustomAction.exe failed to configure, Error code is: 1

CustomAction RSSP_CAInstall_64 returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)

• Edited by swaram92 Monday, September 12, 2011 4:59 PM
    Monday, September 12, 2011 4:48 PM

Answers

• I talked to two of my colleagues and we think most likely SharePoint is installed (in the sense that the bits got installed), but SharePoint is actually not configured and working on that machine.

Can you confirm that SharePoint 2010 is configured and working, before you try to install Reporting Services?

Thanks,
    Robert

Robert Bruckner   http://blogs.msdn.com/robertbruckner
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by swaram92 Monday, September 19, 2011 10:33 PM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 3:39 AM

All replies

• I talked to two of my colleagues and we think most likely SharePoint is installed (in the sense that the bits got installed), but SharePoint is actually not configured and working on that machine.

Can you confirm that SharePoint 2010 is configured and working, before you try to install Reporting Services?

Thanks,
    Robert

Robert Bruckner   http://blogs.msdn.com/robertbruckner
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by swaram92 Monday, September 19, 2011 10:33 PM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 3:39 AM
  • I am facing the exact same issue. Trying to follow the instructions at http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oneclickbi/archive/2011/07/21/getting-up-and-running-with-sql-server-denali-for-business-intelligence-crescent-and-powerpivot-in-ctp3.aspx

Fresh install of Windows Server 2008R2 SP1. But end with the same 1603 error for "Reporting Services Add-in for SharePoint Products".
    Log shows same error message :-(

CA MSG : Running RSCustomAction
    CA MSG : Launching C:\Users\XXXXXX\AppData\Local\Temp\rsCustomAction.exe with command line parameter /i
    CA MSG : rsCustomAction.exe failed to configure, Error code is: 1
    CustomAction RSSP_CAInstall_64 returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)

Saturday, September 17, 2011 2:10 AM
  • As Robert mentions this is because Sharepoint is installed but not configured, I took a quick read of the blog you mention and I found this "After the install, uncheck the configuration option and then click Close You’ll now need to install SharePoint 2010 SP1.", so you need to configure Sharepoint after you finish the installation of the Service Pack 1.

You can also check the reason behind the 1603 in the the RS Add-in detailed log, which you can find in your temp folder (%temp%), the log file has a name like RS_SP0.log

Jaime - http://blogs.msdn.com/b/jtarquino/

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Sunday, September 18, 2011 11:08 PM
  • Well, Sharepoint was installed and 'possibly' working ( I did not do the Sharepoint piece).

We did get it working finally!

We rebuilt the server ground-up, 

Installed sharepoint

Installed Denali - SSRS Sharepoint integrated mode  minus the 'add-in'

configured sharepoint

Installed add-in separately 

Thanks to one and all who researched and helped

Monday, September 19, 2011 10:32 PM
  • For anyone still struggling with this, I was receiving the "installed, but not configured" error when running rscustomaction, from a command prompt, until I opened up a new prompt as Administrator and ran the commands again.
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 11:15 PM
  • Just wondering why you needed to run the rscustomaction manually?

You are right about the need to run it from a elevated prompt, but when you run the SQL Setup it ask you for the elevated permissions automatically.

Thanks

Jaime -  http://blogs.msdn.com/b/jtarquino/

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 11:21 PM